imbrue

Postby imbrue » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:13 am

I recently started using Awasu, and have generally been pleased with it. It is high quality software in very many ways.

Does anybody else experience that Awasu is using a significant CPU percentage at all times, even when idle? I'm confused as to why the process would be so CPU intensive when nothing is happening. For example, right now, I've been running Awasu for about the last hour or so without using it to read much of anything, and it has consumed almost 19 minutes of CPU time. Compare that to about 2 minutes of CPU time for a browser application that has been up and running for several hours.

Is this normal for this application, or do I have something set up wrong? As a developer myself, I run a lot of CPU intensive processes while I'm working and can't really have an application like this consuming this much of my CPU.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:32 am

What version and edition of Awasu do you have? Have you set up any reports to be generated automatically? These happen in the background and sometimes accounts for "unexpected" CPU-usage. How often are your channels set to update?

Also, if you have a lot of channels, Awasu can be doing a lot of background work updating the search index, the archive database, etc. during the initial update of channels after you've started the program. Does is still happen even after Awasu has been running for a long time?

In general, the first thing to do is to watch the Activity Log to see if anything's happening.

imbrue

Postby imbrue » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:18 pm

support wrote:What version and edition of Awasu do you have?
I'm running Personal Edition 2.2

support wrote:Have you set up any reports to be generated automatically?
No.

support wrote:How often are your channels set to update?
I currently have 17 channels and all are set to update hourly.

The activity log is not showing any extensive activity. In fact, there is really no activity in the log after the channels update. However, the CPU usage is directly tied to having any windows open which are currently showing articles. If all the windows are showing only the feeds, the process does not seem to have extensive CPU usage, but after clicking through to even a single article, the CPU usage goes up and stays up. So it appears to me that it is the browser component of the application that is causing the problem. Is there any work around for this?

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:50 pm

imbrue wrote:If all the windows are showing only the feeds, the process does not seem to have extensive CPU usage, but after clicking through to even a single article, the CPU usage goes up and stays up. So it appears to me that it is the browser component of the application that is causing the problem.

What are the URL's you have open? We've seen this kind of thing before with plugins (Flash, in particular) chewing up CPU. We use Microsoft's MSHTML control to do the embedded browser bit so the problem might be being caused by that.

imbrue

Postby imbrue » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:08 pm

Yeah, it has got to be the MSHTML control. It almost doesn't matter what URL's are open, but any that have plugins, Flash, etc. are much more problematic. Of course if I open those URLs in IE, the CPU problem doesn't exist in there, so it must have to do with MSHTML being much more inefficient when compared to what is in IE.

So, does using the Firefox control get rid of MSHTML use? Awasu informs me that it is only experimental, but if this gets rid of the CPU leakage I'm seeing from MSHTML, I'll gladly use that instead.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:17 am

imbrue wrote:does using the Firefox control get rid of MSHTML use? Awasu informs me that it is only experimental

Yes, it uses the Mozilla browser control instead. It's "experimental" because it is provided by a third-party that doesn't offer any support. In practice it works reasonably well and should fix the CPU problem.

imbrue

Postby imbrue » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:32 pm

support wrote:In practice it works reasonably well and should fix the CPU problem.
I tried it and it actually was significantly more costly in terms of CPU usage than the MSHTML control. With MSHTML in use and one or two browser sessions open in Awasu, I'm seeing the process consume between 7 and 18 % of my CPU, with Mozilla in use, the CPU goes up to around 30 to 40 %.

I realize that I'm probably not your typical user and the CPU overhead is not so significant that it would affect most users. Therefore, this should probably be a low priority issue. I also think that Awasu is excellent software, feature-wise, and I'll continue to use it. I just need to know that when I'm stressing my machine in other ways, I may want to close Awasu.

As for your continued development efforts, if you get a chance to profile what is happening when Awasu is idle to see if it is code in the browser controls or awasu code that is consuming CPU, that might help you resolve this minor issue. It looks to me like there is at least some inefficient code in the Mozilla control.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:39 pm

imbrue wrote:With MSHTML in use and one or two browser sessions open in Awasu, I'm seeing the process consume between 7 and 18 % of my CPU, with Mozilla in use, the CPU goes up to around 30 to 40 %.

Good grief. What URL's did you have open i.e. simple static pages or ones with lots of Flash? Also, what sort of machine do you have i.e. CPU, disk drive size and speed, percentage-full, etc.

Thanks for the kind words and letting us know how it went. We'll take a look into it.

imbrue

Postby imbrue » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:13 pm

support wrote:Good grief. What URL's did you have open i.e. simple static pages or ones with lots of Flash? Also, what sort of machine do you have i.e. CPU, disk drive size and speed, percentage-full, etc.
I opened two browser sessions in Awasu and here are the two URLs that I was viewing:

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2006- ... 182943.htm
http://www.theserverside.com/news/threa ... d_id=39012

Both of these are pretty static pages. I have some screen shots of the CPU meter when using both MSHTML or Mozilla. The average CPU for Mozilla was around 30 to 40% while the MSHTML was anywhere from 5 to 20. I can send the screen shots to you if you want.

I'm running a laptop with an Intel 755 Pentium M (2.0 GHz, 400MHz bus, 2MB L2 Cache). I have a 1.25 Gig of Ram, a 60 Gig 7200RMP Hard drive with about 10 Gig free. The machine isn't a screaming fast server, but it is certainly no slouch.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:51 pm

Thanks for the update.

I'll take a look at it but for the moment, all of Awasu's background threads are run at a low priority so even if they are using up a bit of CPU for something or other, as soon as another task kicks in, they'll get out of the way.

pmiboe

Postby pmiboe » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:48 am

I have the same problem: even when Awasu is minimized, CPU usage is about 30%. Activity Log shows no action; I've subscribed to 10 channels; update interval for 8 channels is 1 hour, for the other 2 channels 1 day.
I think that while AWASU is running, other programs are a little bit slower.
Concerning memory allocation it is very interesting that Awasu allocates 45MB of RAM at the moment. 20 minutes ago it were 7 MB of RAM. In the meantime I did absolutely nothing but opening this Forum, read this thread and register as new member...
Seems a little bit strange...

Greetings,
peter

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:10 pm

pmiboe wrote:even when Awasu is minimized, CPU usage is about 30%. Activity Log shows no action

We're still looking at this to confirm what we think is causing this but we're pretty sure it's harmless. Awasu is highly multi-threaded and the worker threads hang around waiting for a request to do something. A defensive practice we've used is that they wake up periodically to check if there's anything for them to do but they're doing this a little too frequently. Hence, what you're seeing in the CPU usage is all the worker threads waking up, seeing that's there's nothing to do and then going back to sleep. We'll address this in the next release.

pmiboe wrote:I think that while AWASU is running, other programs are a little bit slower.

All of Awasu's worker threads run at a low priority so as soon as something else needs some CPU, Awasu will back off and let them use it instead.

pmiboe wrote:Concerning memory allocation it is very interesting that Awasu allocates 45MB of RAM at the moment. 20 minutes ago it were 7 MB of RAM. In the meantime I did absolutely nothing but opening this Forum, read this thread and register as new member...

This is probably the embedded IE browser. Opening a window allocates a big chunk of memory up-front which it doesn't seem to want to release even if you close the window.

Awasu also caches a lot of stuff as it updates channels (this can be turned off but you probably don't want to since it makes Awasu run really slow). If you start Awasu and a lot of channels update, you will see memory usage go up. If you then exit and restart Awasu (so that no channels update straight away), you will see that memory usage stays low.

blake

Postby blake » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:29 pm

Hi. I love the product (for all of my 10 minutes of use) but I have to chime in here that it pegs my CPU at 100% utilization even with just the default Awasu channel installed. I'd prefer to use a stand-alone program like this versus installing a plug-in or using a web-based solution, so any help you can provide me is gratefully appreciated.

Configurationwise, I'm running Windows XP (Home) and while I understand how the background threads should have a low impact, the app is making everything run more slowly.

Once again, it looks like the perfect answer for me. Thanks again for any help.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:55 pm

blake wrote:Configurationwise, I'm running Windows XP (Home) and while I understand how the background threads should have a low impact, the app is making everything run more slowly.

How old is your machine? Do you have enough memory and a fast disk?

Having only one channel shouldn't make your machine run slowly. Lack of memory and a slow disk would be the first place to look.

We also optimized many parts of Awasu in 2.2.3 so you might want to consider upgrading to that.

blake

Postby blake » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:48 pm

Thanks for responding so quickly. Wow.

I'm running on a P4 2.80 GHz with 512MB of RAM, 16G or so of free disk space (on what I'm sure is a 5400 RPM drive) on the system disk.

I tried the 2.2.3 version but still have the same pegging issue.

I'll see what else I can test. Thanks for any other ideas you can provide.

Blake

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”