tripcode

Postby tripcode » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:44 pm

It must be possible to create the plug in which would be activated from a right click action in Firefox? This doesn't replace the MSHTML bit but it would send communcations such as 'save in awasu' through to the program?

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:48 pm

tripcode wrote:It must be possible to create the plug in which would be activated from a right click action in Firefox?

I think it would be quite easy, I just don't know how and don't really have the time to look into it.

It wouldn't even require a plugin. The existing IE right-click menu entries just fire off a bit of JavaScript (look at the files in the <tt>Resources/IE Templates</tt> sub-directory) so it would just be a case of adding menu items to Mozilla's right-click menu to fire off the same JavaScript. IIRC, there is some way of doing it...

tangent

Postby tangent » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:18 am

support wrote:In the Program Options, go to the Display tab, change the embedded browser type and follow the instructions.

I presume you mean to change the Browser window to Mozilla. Following the instructions, I installed the latest ActiveX Control (1.7.12) but Awasu displayed blank pages instead of the contents. I had to uninstal the ActiveX Control and change the Browser window back to Internet Explorer to get it back.

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:06 am

I've never been able to get Firefox to work from within Awasu either; not with Firefox 2 or 3, but other people have reported that it's worked for hem. I get the same blank (white) pages you described. Since I'm not really married to Firefox or Interner Explorer it's not too big a deal for me, but it would be nice to get Firefox to work.

If you're downloading it from here: http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/plugin.htm, you'll notice that it doesn't say it supports Firefox 2 or 3. Somebody probably needs to download the source code, update it and recompile it for newer versions of Firefox, but as a free plugin it'd have to be somebody's personal labor of love. If not really Awasu or any other Feed Readers responsibility to update it and ensure compatibility, but it would be nice if someone from the Mozilla project would take up the cause.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:26 am

kevotheclone wrote:I've never been able to get Firefox to work from within Awasu either

I'm surprised, it's always worked for me :-)

kevotheclone wrote:If you're downloading it from here: http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/plugin.htm, you'll notice that it doesn't say it supports Firefox 2 or 3.

The source for this plugin doesn't actually come from Firefox, it comes from an old version of Mozilla (which FireFox came out of).

kevotheclone wrote:Somebody probably needs to download the source code, update it and recompile it for newer versions of Firefox, but as a free plugin it'd have to be somebody's personal labor of love. If not really Awasu or any other Feed Readers responsibility to update it and ensure compatibility, but it would be nice if someone from the Mozilla project would take up the cause.

Indeed, that's the case. The Mozilla Foundation have been steadfast in their continuing disinterest in providing a browser component that can be plugged into other applications as an MSHTML replacement (I believe Gecko, the underlying browser component, is embeddable but it's a lot of work and is not a drop-in replacement for MSHTML). As is often the case in the OSS world, if it's a big, boring job, no-one wants to do it :roll:

Trent2

Postby Trent2 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:06 pm

If you want Awasu to be able to open links in the default browser, you could have it proxy the links. Have it scan each feed item before it displays it and convert the links. So if I had a feed item with a link to http://www.foo.com/blah/ Awasu could convert it to point to http://127.0.0.1:XXXXX/www.foo.com/blah.

Have Awasu listen on XXXXX for connections from localhost, and when it gets a URL, have the OS open that URL with whatever the default browser is. That way we can use whatever browser we like for browsing links. I think. :)

Maybe throw a randomly generated string in there somewhere before the URL for a bit of security and it should (I think) work.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:58 am

Trent2 wrote:Have Awasu listen on XXXXX for connections from localhost, and when it gets a URL, have the OS open that URL with whatever the default browser is.

Awasu currently already does this :-) It listens on port 2604 (by default) for certain requests, one of them being to open a URL in the default browser. IE provides an easy way to extend its right-click menu to send a request to this port so it'd just be a question of figuring out how to do the same thing in Firefox.

We're right this moment working on extending the services provided on this port - more info here.

Trent

Postby Trent » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:31 pm

support wrote:Awasu currently already does this :-) It listens on port 2604 (by default) for certain requests, one of them being to open a URL in the default browser. IE provides an easy way to extend its right-click menu to send a request to this port so it'd just be a question of figuring out how to do the same thing in Firefox.

We're right this moment working on extending the services provided on this port - more info here.

Hehe, I finally noticed the HTTP API thread last night, and saw and played with the URL stuff. It seems to work well. :D

Though I think maybe I misunderstood the original poster, or people misunderstood me. I don't need Firefox to do anything, I'm mostly trying to get it arranged so that if I'm using IE as the integrated browser in Awasu, I can still click links in feeds and get them to open in the system default browser (Firefox in my case). This would allow people to read full items, follow links, etc in the browser of their choice rather than being forced into using IE by MSHTML. :)

While we're talking about the API, could we get a way to send an item's contents to a local application? Though, thinking about it, it might be safer to make a way to dump an item to a temporary text file, and then hand the path to the text file to the application.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:20 pm

Trent wrote:I'm mostly trying to get it arranged so that if I'm using IE as the integrated browser in Awasu, I can still click links in feeds and get them to open in the system default browser (Firefox in my case).

If you right-click on a link, you will see a new <i>Open in default browser</i> menu item. This also applies for external IE windows opened after Awasu was started.

Trent wrote:While we're talking about the API, could we get a way to send an item's contents to a local application?

You will be able to do it via a workpad. I've been sending out early builds of the new API to some developers, let me know if you're interested. The latest documentation is here here.

Trent

Postby Trent » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:44 pm

support wrote:You will be able to do it via a workpad. I've been sending out early builds of the new API to some developers, let me know if you're interested. The latest documentation is here here.

Sure, I'm up for some tinkering with things as long as it'll work with the 2.4 Pro trial. I'm stuck with that for a bit, alas. Money needs to grow on trees. :D

Trent

Postby Trent » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:37 am

tripcode wrote:It must be possible to create the plug in which would be activated from a right click action in Firefox? This doesn't replace the MSHTML bit but it would send communcations such as 'save in awasu' through to the program?

I saw this the other day and thought about it. After a bit of goofing around with things, I found that you can do this using a Firefox extension called SearchWith. Just create a Service (in SearchWith) called Send to Awasu or some such, create an Engine named Awasu Workpad or somesuch and set the target URL to http://127.0.0.1:2604/workpad/ Once that's done, add the Awasu Workpad engine to the Awasu service in SearchWith. Right click on a link, select SearchWith -> Send to Awasu and your link should show up in the default workpad. Only drawback to this whole thing is it will open a blank tab in Firefox as SearchWith tries to actually load a page from the URL.

I'll see if I can come up with a more elegant way to do this, but javascript isn't my forte. :)

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:32 am

"While we're talking about the API, could we get a way to send an item's contents to a local application? Though, thinking about it, it might be safer to make a way to dump an item to a temporary text file, and then hand the path to the text file to the application."

Channel Hooks
One of Awasu's original "killer features" was the ability to attach one or more Channels Hooks to a Channel and directly process the Channel's new feed items as soon as they arrive. This has been available for many years. The only "bad thing" about Channel Hooks is that if you want to attach a Channel Hook to 100s of feeds it can get a little point-and-click tedious, but there are alternative to handle this situation listed below. Personally I think the marriage of Channel Hooks-to-Search Channels is a marriage made in heaven; the stuff you are most interested in can be immediately processed any way you want them to.

Awasu provides the item's contents in a couple of different formats; one with the original HTML markup and one that is plain text.

Send to/User tools
You can set up a Send to tool to provide a way to manually send the feed item's data (and/or title, and/or url...) to an application like this:
PathToMyEXE_OrWebService "{%ITEM-METADATA% description}"

Channel Reports
You can set up a Channel Report to republish feed item data to a file on your LAN or FTP it somewhere. Virtually any text format is possible Tab-separated, XML, JSON, and with version 2.4.1 you can have a program automatically run which can start processing the exported feed item data when the Channel Report completes (this is kind of a "Push" technique).

The new API
With the new API you can programmatically run Channel Reports from your Application to "Pull" feed item data into your application. You will also be able to issues searches across your feed item data and pull it into your application too.

"Money needs to grow on trees."
Amen, I wish I studied botany. :)

$79 may not seem cheap, unless you look at what you're getting for $79, then you realize Awasu's actually underpriced (it's a little over $0.02 a day expensed over 1 year).There's a lot web "startups" trying to mine the web this way or that way; Awasu provides you the core content retrieval engine with a bunch of features built in, as well as searching/filtering/republishing and a platform for you to build "your stuff" off of, all for only $79.

Regarding your work with the Firefox extension called SearchWith
I'll have to check SearchWith out; it's nice to see you find creative solutions. :clap:
You should be able to create Bookmarklet that does this too for just about any web browser; also in Firefox, a Greasemonky script should work.

Here's the source code for a Bookmarklet to add a the current document to the default Workpad. It's using the old API so this will work in most versions of Awasu, except for the new API enabled version:

Code: Select all

javascript:void(document.location.href="http://localhost:2604/workpad?url="+document.location.href);

Create a new Bookmark with the above JavaScript code as the URL; wrapping everything in the void() function helps prevent the browser from actually navigating to the specified location.

If I can be of further assistance to you, you know where to find me.
The sandman knocketh upon my door... :sleepy:

Return to “Awasu - Feature Requests”