Nigelino

Postby Nigelino » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:35 pm

I use Firefox as my standard browser. Awasu always opens IE. Don't like that very much: it's so old-fashioned. :twisted:

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:50 am

In the Program Options, go to the Display tab, change the embedded browser type and follow the instructions.

timrray

Postby timrray » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:58 am

Is there any way yet to force links you click on to open in your external default browser?

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:21 pm

timrray wrote:Is there any way yet to force links you click on to open in your external default browser?

If you <i>Open in new window</i> from the item pane, it will always use your default browser.

From the browser pane, IE refuses to honor the default browser setting and always opens a new IE window. To work around this, there is a <i>Open in default browser</i> option in the right-click menu.

timrray

Postby timrray » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:27 pm

So there is no way to make that the default action (open in new window)? That sure would be nice.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:16 pm

timrray wrote:That sure would be nice.

I agree. Maybe IE7 will honor the system settings and use the default browser instead of forcing itself upon us all :roll:

timrray wrote:So there is no way to make that the default action (open in new window)?

You can reverse the Click/Shift-Click behaviour for clicks in the item pane in Awasu 2.2.1. Check the 3rd entry in the <i>Minor changes and bug fixes</i> section in this page.

timrray

Postby timrray » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:28 pm

THANK YOU!!! This is almost exactly what I was trying to do. That is about as close as you can get to using Firefox directly as far as I'm concerned. I missed that portion of the release notes or I'd have done it already.

Nigelino

Postby Nigelino » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:14 pm

After doing all the good things that have been recommended javascript:emoticon(':lol:')
Laughing, Awasu still does not recognize Plug-ins e.g. Live-Scoring on Euorsport (http://www.eurosport.com/tennis/atp-que ... 8469.shtml)
works quite well in Native mode but inside Awasu always says "click here to get the plug in".
I tried the Advanced Edition but that was no better. I'd love to support you and buy that version, but javascript:emoticon(':sorry:')
Sorry as long as I have to use IE that's a nono. javascript:emoticon(':wall:')
Frustrated

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:28 am

Nigelino wrote:Awasu still does not recognize Plug-ins

Awasu uses a special browser component to show web pages, the same (or nearly the same) as the one used by Firefox. But it's not Firefox itself and so Firefox plugins won't be available.

If and when the Firefox team make available a browser component that Awasu can use, we'd definitely be more than happy to use it.

Nigelino

Postby Nigelino » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:47 am

It's very sad!! I raised the matter on the Firefox Mozillazine site and they pass the buck back to you!
Where does it stop? Are there no standards (apart from the de facto Microsoft ones)? If there are who is not observing them?

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:04 pm

Nigelino wrote:I raised the matter on the Firefox Mozillazine site and they pass the buck back to you!

Do you have a link? Or can you post their response?

AFAIK, it's not something that we can do so if they think otherwise, I'd be interested to know how to do it.

Nigelino

Postby Nigelino » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:11 pm

I raised a forum topic "AWASU and FireFox plug-ins". The latest address was: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 26#2327626

They do not offer any useful pointers except to say it's AWASU's problem. The latest contribution came from an Aussie so maybe that will help!

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:08 pm

Sigh...

Their response seems to suggest they may not have fully understood your request. We are not "making components" that are supposedly compatible with Firefox.

To understand why this is a much more difficult situation than it might appear to be, you need to understand some of the technical issues plus a bit about the history of Firefox.

Once upon a time, there was a browser called Mozilla but the guys writing eventually made it into not just a browser but a fully-fledged application suite. Some people felt that it was getting too bloated and formed a break-away project to extract the browser and develop it as a light-weight, stand-alone program. This eventually became what we know as Firefox.

Internet Explorer comes in two bits, a core component called MSHTML that draws web pages, and some stuff that adds extra features on top of just displaying web pages e.g. plugins, zone security, etc. MSHTML has been designed so that it can be used by *any* program (not just IE) that needs to show web pages e.g. Awasu.

There was a lot of demand for the Mozilla team to provide a drop-in replacement for MSHTML i.e. a component that people could use instead of MSHTML. It would work in exactly the same way as MSHTML except that it would use Mozilla's web page-drawing component (called Gecko) instead of MSHTML. The Mozilla team never did this but somebody else did. Note that this is *not* an official Mozilla project, it's just something somebody has done in their own time because there was a need for it and they wanted to fill that need.

The problem is this: the Firefox team took the old Gecko browser code from Mozilla and worked on it independently so now their browser component is not the same as Mozilla's. Awasu uses the Mozilla-based browser component which doesn't know anything about Firefox. There is a comment on the Mozilla ActiveX Project's web site that says <i>Future versions of the control are likely to be built using the Firefox source branch (April 10 2005)</i>. What's happening with this is anyone's guess.

<b>The bottom line is this: Unless the Firefox team provide an MSHTML-compatible browser component <u>that other programs can use</u>, neither we nor anyone else will be able to show web pages in a way that will recognize Firefox plugins. </b>

I also use Firefox as my default browser and there's nothing I would love to do more than to get Awasu to use Firefox but until they provide such a component, there's nothing we can do. Believe me, it's not just Awasu that has this problem! There are lots of other programs that show web pages that also want to use Firefox but can't because this component is not available.

Incidentally, all of this explains why Awasu cannot use Opera as its embedded browser - they don't provide a MSHTML-compatible browser component that can be used by other applications.
Last edited by support on Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:13 pm

BTW, in your MozillaZine post, you asked <i>Is a huge effort required to make this component available?</i>. The answer is a resounding YES!!! That's why they are unlikely to do it :-)

How much work it would be, I have no idea but it would be a major coup for them to be able to enable every single program out there currently using MSHTML to show web pages to switch over to using Firefox. However, prioritizing features is their prerogative and it's up to them if and when they allow this to happen.

Nigelino

Postby Nigelino » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:50 pm

Thank you very much for all that information. It is very interesting if a bit above my head!
I hope other people will get to this topic and appreciate it, too.

Return to “Awasu - Feature Requests”