msalamon

Postby msalamon » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:57 pm

There was a previous post about this issue:
http://www.awasu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1869&highlight=api

Someone wanted to know if they could automatically add channels, etc. using a programming interface.

That was 3 years ago. In the response, it said:

There isn't really an API as such to do this kind of thing although one will be offered in the near future (the framework is already in place for it).

Has that been done? Is that simply the ability to create hooks? If someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:17 am

An API has been in place for some time now, although it hasn't really been documented anywhere.

However, we've been doing a lot of work recently to beef it up (the most recent alpha release was pre-dominantly new features in this area) so if you're interested in getting some particular functionality, now's the time to ask! :-)

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:30 pm

While not as "real time" as an "Add Channel" API, there is an alternative that will work today; creating .CHANNEL files. It was breifly discussed in this thread:

http://www.awasu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6996

You can write some code to create minimal .CHANNEL files as small as this:

Code: Select all

[Config]
RssChannelUrl=Path to ATOM/RSS file
[State]
LastFeed_DisplayName=Channel Name

The next time Awasu is started it will find these new, minimal .CHANNEL files and load them into Awasu at the bottom of the folder tree in the Control Center. Awasu will also fill these new, minimal .CHANNEL files with sensible default values for many of the other Channel settings.

Note: Don't create the "LocalChannelId" or "ChannelGuid" settings; let Awasu create these.

API
msalamon

Postby msalamon » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:50 am

Thanks for this information. I will look it over in more detail. In particular, I was looking for the ability to manage reports, create, delete and modify. I didn't see that as an option

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:38 am

msalamon wrote:In particular, I was looking for the ability to manage reports, create, delete and modify. I didn't see that as an option

No, I haven't added support for this kind of thing in yet since I've been a bit worried about it opening things up for abuse, but on reflection, it seems that adding this kind of thing would be really, really useful so I'm keen to find out how you're thinking of using Awasu.

What kind of things are you looking at doing? Creating a report would require a whole bunch of parameters to be passed in...

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:04 pm

kevotheclone wrote:You can write some code to create minimal .CHANNEL files

Actually, you only need <tt>RssChannelUrl</tt>. Awasu will show the feed URL in the <i>My Channels</i> window until the channel gets around to updating, then it will change to the name embedded in the feed itself.

msalamon

Postby msalamon » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:59 pm

Why I need this is a bit complicated, and it's possible there is another way to do it with Awasu. (FYI, I was looking to use New2Web from Hexamail to do the same thing. In theory, I could have done it, but in execution New2Web seemed a bit flaky.)

I work for an organization that hopes to provide in inexpensive enterprise RSS solution. Users can subscribe to various "channels" (my term) in different categories. A channel will be composed of 1 to N feeds, perhaps with filters applied. For example, one category might be Industry. We might have 10 Industry channels, like Automotive. Automotive might consist of 3 different business feeds (New York Times, Wall Street Journal, etc.), and we might apply a filter like the word "car" or "automobile". These feeds are feeds that we subscribe to as an organization and are IP restricted. (B/c they are IP restricted, we can't use any SaaS solutions to reed RSS feeds.)

Each user would have a unique page on our intranet where they could view the channels they have subscribed to. They would also have the option of having their channel stories emailed to them once per day, at a time they select.

The team that administers the categories, channels and feeds would store all of this information in a database, or perhaps just in Awasu directly. If in a db, then a job would be run creating the channels in Awasu based on the feed info stored in the db.

We would also set up a subscription page on our intranet where users would indicate the channels they want to get and if they want the email version. This info would be stored in a db. Once or more per day a job would run that queries the db and creates a report based on each user's subscriptions, as those subscriptions could be updated regularly by users. Hence the need to create reports using an API, based on the db queries. It would be too much trouble to manually updated the reports in Awasu based on changes to subscriptions.

Does that make sense?

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:44 am

msalamon wrote:Once or more per day a job would run that queries the db and creates a report based on each user's subscriptions, as those subscriptions could be updated regularly by users. Hence the need to create reports using an API, based on the db queries.

That's cool, I'm sold :-) Shoot me an email if you'd like to trial the latest alpha that has the first cut of the new API in it (you'll need to be running it to be able to test early cuts of builds with these new report features).

BTW, you could actually do this kind of thing right now by directly modifying the <tt>CONFIG.INI</tt> file but an API would obviously be a better way of doing it.

Also, 2.4.1 added the ability to run reports at specific times, which might be of use to you.

Return to “Awasu - Feature Requests”