Trent

Postby Trent » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:45 pm

It'd be nice if there were a way we could access and modify the download queue. It'd solve a few problems, mainly:

1) You'd be able to remove downloads that you know are never going to succeed (site's gone, file moved, etc).

and

2) You could remove downloads that you really don't need. For instance, I recently subscribed to a security feed and Awasu found 185 episodes of their podcast in the feed, at around 100MB per episode. :)
That's not good on metered net access. :)

You could even add API stuff to manipulate it. :)

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:44 pm

Taka is usually one step ahead of us...

Right now the $/channels/list API will give you the directory where the download files are stored for each of your channels, or you can restrict it to a specific channel; make sure you pass the verbose=true parameter. The <enclosuresDir> element holds the path to the downloaded files. If you haven't specified a value for an individual Channel it defaults to the global value. While this isn't an API to manipulate the download queue, it does give you access to the location of the files.

:idea: If you're on metered access, you might want to turn off automatic download of "enclosures", and then only enable it for feeds after you know that their "enclosures" are "download worthy".

I'm guessing that once you've subscribed to a feed and you decide that their "enclosures" are "download worthy", that if you now enable automatic download of enclosures; I don't think Awasu will automatically download the enclosures of the existing feed items in your feed (there's gotta be a better way of saying that).

If you're in the middle of a huge enclosure download that you want to kill, you can always pull your network cord.

Taka will probably have better ideas. :idea:

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:53 am

Trent wrote:1) You'd be able to remove downloads that you know are never going to succeed (site's gone, file moved, etc).

Hmmm, I coulda sworn there was retry limit but it seems that there isn't :| Although Awasu will stop trying after the item gets purged from the feed (for being too old).

Trent wrote:2) You could remove downloads that you really don't need. For instance, I recently subscribed to a security feed and Awasu found 185 episodes of their podcast in the feed, at around 100MB per episode. :)
That's not good on metered net access. :)

Yah, I thought about all this kind of stuff when I first added support for enclosures but the problem is that once you start going there, you basically have to write a full-blown download manager. People will want to adjust the queue order, add and remove entries, tweak queued requests, etc. I don't know if it's still the case but FeedDemon used to ship with a download manager <i>as a separate application</i> just to manage downloading enclosures :blink: I did look around for a third-party download manager that Awasu could integrate with but didn't find anything - let me know if you know of one.

In the case you described, I usually just delete the channel and re-subscribe with the <i>"download enclosures"</i> option turned off. As <i>kevotheclone</i> pointed out, you're probably best off setting this is as the default option for new channels (Channel page in the Program Options) and turning it on as required.

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty, you can also manipulate the queue directly - it's contained in the <tt>offline_content_download_queue</tt> table in the <tt>archive-offline.db</tt> file (an SQLite database). Best results with Awasu not running, of course... :-)

Return to “Awasu - Feature Requests”