ois

Postby ois » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:31 pm

Just updated to 2.4.2 from 2.3

Please can we have right-click 'add to workpad' back again

Knowing the power of awasu, i will not be surprised if there is a way to customise this action! Is there a key command for this? I couldn't find one...

At the moment, going through the added step of 'send to' is slowing me down. I like the ability to drag items into the workpad but using this method allows duplication of entries.

Also, I prefer to autohide the workpad, which makes dragging impossible.

thanks!

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:49 pm

ois wrote:Please can we have right-click 'add to workpad' back again

How would you see this working? Since you can have multiple workpads, you would need to go through a sub-menu to choose the one you wanted, which is not dissimilar to what's there now, via the Send-to menu.

On the summary page for each channel, at the bottom of each item there is a <i>Send to</i> link that you can move your mouse over to show a menu of send-to destinations. If you don't want to drag items around, this is probably the quickest way to get stuff into a workpad.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:51 pm

ois wrote:Also, I prefer to autohide the workpad, which makes dragging impossible.

Me too, but I also have hotkeys assigned (Ctrl-1, Ctrl-2, etc.) that let them be opened up quickly, and you can then drag things in.

ois

Postby ois » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:45 pm

thank you for your suggestions - none of them are as quick for me as the old right-click. i didn't realise there were now multiple workpads.

also the dragging has the duplicate entry in workpad issue. :(

would it be possible to have all active workpads listed in the first right click menu you see? Personally, I would find this quicker than having to zigzag into the 'send to' submenu everytime. I imagine the submenu is to save space and keep things tidy for those with only 800 pixels of headroom. Perhaps this could be customisable?

cheers!

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:39 am

It's been a long time since I used 2.3 so I can't remember exactly what the right click functionality looked like, but you can right click on an item in the Item Pane and access the "Send to" tools also.

ois, where did you used to right click to access the old functionality?

Besides having multiple Workpads; you now have the ability to send feed items to multiple Workpads automatically from your Channels. I wouldn't recommend using this for most standard Channels as it may send some irrelevant feed items to your Workpads; instead I'd recommend that you create some Search Channels and send the matched feed items to your Workpads.

Also don't forget about the new Awasu API; it's not just for hard-core programmers...

You could create hyperlinks in a Channel Summary Template to add the current feed item to a specific Workpad so that you can perform this action with a single left click.

It could look something like this:
<a href="app:sendTo/workpads/addItem?id=635545C0-4F56-43C3-8F74-565C7CA13CD4&itemId={%ITEM-METADATA% awasuId}">Name of Workpad</a>

In fact this is lifted directly from the defaultItemBody.include file, It should display "Send to" to all of your Workpads without you having to hover over the Send to link itself:
<ul>
{%REPEAT% SendTo-Workpads header="<dl>" footer="</dl>"} <dd><a href="app:sendTo/workpad/{%SENDTO-ID%}?iid={%ITEM-METADATA% awasuId}">{%SENDTO-NAME% encode=sgml chars=&<\ }</a></dd> {%/REPEAT%}
</ul>

Update
If you're reading this forum post in Awasu most of the HTML I embedded may be misinterpreted by your web browser, you should click the forum post's title to see the actual HTML I entered.

Also another thing I though of right after I posted and shut my PC down for the night is that you could probably change the CSS for your Channel Summary Template to show all Send to tool all the time so you don't have to hover of the "Send to" link.

And of course you should make a copy of the templates files and make your changes to them, so that a future update of Awasu doesn't overwrite your changes. The ProcessTemplateIncludes.py script can be run to make a copy of a pre-existing Awasu Channel Summary Template with all of the "include files" merged into one new file. Make your new Channel Summary Template your default template, add your one-click Send to Workpad links, and your productivity should be back to where it was with 2.3.

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:22 am

And finally (?) and way outside of the Awasu box...

You can almost always automate Awasu or any other program by writing a program to automate another program. I'm not sure if you're a coder or not but there's some software call AutoHotKey, that includes a script recorder; so you can usually "record" your keystrokes and mouse clicks, edit the generated script as needed and then run it by: 1) double clicking on the *.AHK file, or 2) run it in a command line fashion, or by 3) assigning a "hot key" to the script and running AutoHotKey in your system tray.

Here's a simple AutoHotKey script I recorded (and edited) that simply activates Awasu and send Alt+T to activate the Tools menu and then Alt+I to send the selected text to the Dictionary.com.

Code: Select all

WinWait, Awasu,
IfWinNotActive, Awasu, , WinActivate, Awasu,
WinWaitActive, Awasu,
Sleep, 100
Send, {ALTDOWN}t{ALTUP}i

Yes it's a boring example, but it's just designed to get some ideas flowing. If there is something that can't be fully automated from "inside" Awasu, you may be able to automate it from "outside" of Awasu, and AutoHotKey's script recorder can make the task easier than writing a program from scratch.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:37 am

kevotheclone wrote:you could probably change the CSS for your Channel Summary Template to show all Send to tool all the time so you don't have to hover of the "Send to" link.

Cool idea :cool:, adding items to a workpad can't get any quicker than that :-)

Another way to do this is to open the <tt>common.css</tt> file in the <tt>Resources/Channel Summary Templates/includes</tt> sub-directory and find the line near the bottom that looks like this:

Code: Select all

.sendTo div { display: none ; margin: -5em 0 0 5em ; }

Removing the <tt>display: none</tt> bit will make the send-to menu always appear.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:40 am

kevotheclone wrote:there's some software call AutoHotKey

By complete co-incidence, I just started having a play with this today (my existing hotkey tool doesn't work on W7 64-bit :-() and I'm very impressed. Have you had any luck with getting it to recognize mouse gestures?

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:50 pm

Please forgive the late reply...

I haven't really used AutoHotKey much and not on a regular basis yet. It does look interesting, and some of its Commands look so similar to the Windows API, that it seems somewhat familiar.

Of course I found this "mouse gestures" script, and you probably have too by now.

If you find anything interesting that you can do with AutoHotKey and Awasu and/or other software I'd be interested in reading about it.

Return to “Awasu - Feature Requests”