View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

Post Organised Work Pads
I would like to humbly request that WorkPads be organised in a tree format that can be expanded and colapsed.

Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:19 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Organised Work Pads
Booboo wrote:
I would like to humbly request that WorkPads be organised in a tree format that can be expanded and colapsed.

There would only ever be one level of nesting so I don't quite see why you would want that.

Unless you're also asking for the ability to create multiple levels of nesting...? :-) But I still don't quite see why - can't you just create multiple workpads to manage your items? Do you have so many that they need to be categorized into folders?

Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:28 am
Profile WWW

I have a number of principal collection themes. Each theme may require a number of workpads.

I tree, even if it only went to one depth would be helpful. Unless you can think of a better or alternate organisation strategy.

Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:16 am
Site Admin

Unless you can think of a better or alternate organisation strategy.

Doesn't have one workpad for each folder-in-the-tree-you're-suggesting work?

I'm a little hesitant to implement such a feature since it complicates things enormously, taking workpads beyond what they were originally intended to be...

Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:37 am
Profile WWW

Me a little confused now. I was suggesting an infinite number of WorkPads per 'hypothetical' WorkPad parent folder.

If this requires major structural change then don't worry.

However, please do appreciate that WorkPads are important tools even if you didn't give them too much thought in the early days.

Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:48 am

BTW. If I have more WorkPad Icons than can be viewed at any one time in the Task Window, does a scroll bar appear?

Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:04 am
Site Admin

BTW. If I have more WorkPad Icons than can be viewed at any one time in the Task Window, does a scroll bar appear?

Yes. Try it and see (the Task Pane can be floated and resized) :-)

Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:23 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Organised Work Pads
I only have 11 Workpads, and I do have some of them that could be grouped by "principal collection themes" too, but it's not enough to worry about right now. Of course I'm using Awasu for personal use at home, but I could imagine if I had to work with 20-50 Workpads it might get a little busy.

Booboo
Here's a couple of thoughts that may make managing many Workpads easier.

Click on "Organize workpads..." and change the order of the Workpads to suite your needs. Either sort them 1) alphabetically, or 2) most frequently used Workpads on top, or 3) by principal collection themes (to add pseudo-grouping), or any combination of these sorts (e.g. alphabetically within their principal collection theme).

Also in the "Organize workpads" dialog box you can assign Hotkeys to open your most frequently used Workpads. Note to Taka... it might be nice if the assigned Hotkey acted like a toggle and would close an already opened Workpad. I'm not actually asking for this, it's just something I thought of right now.

Note: When assigning Hotkeys I usually like to press the Hotkey first outside of the "Organize workpads" dialog box to see if it already is assigned to something useful, and if so then I'll probably pick a different Hotkey combo.

Taka
If you receive more requests for better Workpad management features, you might find something similar to Channel Filters (Workpad Filters?) might be a simpler alternative to a full tree view, especially since the hierarchy is only one level deep.

Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:04 pm

Thanks for the workaround tips Kev. I am pretty much doing as you suggested at present. Again, this is not a show stopper for me. But perhaps a 'nice to have' in version 6!!

Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]