prazim

Postby prazim » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:08 am

Hi Taka,
I am getting ready to launch my portal and in the process have been reading quite a bit about various offerings for portals. While researching RSS related technologies, I saw a brief video hyping an online RSS reader by a well known company. I tried it and don't like it nearly as much as Awasu, but what was fabulous is that its servers are doing the updating of feeds, so it is very fast. I also signed up for a different service which was recommended and it was absolutely awful.

As Awasu is, in my view, the best reader on the market, it would be outstanding to offer it to my online community, much like blogging, group participation, and what have you.

I have spent time researching online community/social networking tools and no one is offering an integrated newsreader functionality. One feature that seems to be important is the ability to share a particular article simply by selecting it and making it public or actively choosing to share it with a specific person or group.

kind regards,
Sue

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:14 am

sue wrote:what was fabulous is that its servers are doing the updating of feeds, so it is very fast.

This is not necessarily the case. Why should things be faster simply because a server is doing the updates instead of your feed reader program itself? You still have to connect to their server and download the latest stuff, just from them instead of the original source, so it's hardly going to make much of a difference.

sue wrote:As Awasu is, in my view, the best reader on the market, it would be outstanding to offer it to my online community, much like blogging, group participation, and what have you.

We offer branded versions of Awasu that serve exactly this purpose.

sue wrote:One feature that seems to be important is the ability to share a particular article simply by selecting it and making it public or actively choosing to share it with a specific person or group.

We've just closed an agreement with another company to add some features along this line, with hopefully more coming on board shortly after. This will appear in the next alpha release (2.3.2.alpha2), in a few weeks.

Workpad reports can also be used to do exactly this kind of thing. Every time you find something you want to share, drag it into a workpad. You set up a report to periodically generate an HTML from that workpad and automatically upload it to your website and, hey presto, instant (well, nearly instant) sharing.

prazim

Postby prazim » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:43 pm

Hi Taka,
If you take a look at the well known online reader from G*ogle, the data is being presented on the screen, but isn't being downloaded as original feeds, as a desktop reader does. So, when you go to your G*ogle reader page, it refreshes the content very quickly, with summaries of unread articles per folder and feed.

What I am talking about is extending the functionality of Awasu so that it could do essentially the same thing, but Awasu style, within online communities. The option for Awasu desktop client to be integrated is outstanding as then people could store archived content and read it offline, but to able to have a reader integrated into an online community is what I am hoping you are open to considering. None of the top platforms offer such functionality yet so it would be groundbreaking.

Kind Regards,
Sue

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:18 am

sue wrote:If you take a look at the well known online reader from G*ogle, the data is being presented on the screen, but isn't being downloaded as original feeds, as a desktop reader does. So, when you go to your G*ogle reader page, it refreshes the content very quickly, with summaries of unread articles per folder and feed.

This is probably just a question of perception as much as anything else. Even though the Google servers are downloading the feeds for you in the background, if you think about, if you read every item then you still have to download everything from Google, plus all the other Google Reader stuff on on top of that. So it's actually a bit slower, it just *seems* faster :-)

I don't know if you leave your Awasu running overnight but I do, and so all my new content has already arrived when I get up in the morning and I can plough through it *very* quickly over my morning coffee since I don't have to wait for it to download. And combined with Awasu's offline reading features, I don't even have to be online when I do it :cool:

sue wrote:The option for Awasu desktop client to be integrated is outstanding as then people could store archived content and read it offline, but to able to have a reader integrated into an online community is what I am hoping you are open to considering. None of the top platforms offer such functionality yet so it would be groundbreaking.

Ah, I may have misunderstood your original comments. You want to able to access your feeds from both Awasu and a browser? Yes, that would be ground-breaking. That's why it's kinda cool we've already done it :-)

Awasu can syncwith both Google Reader and Bloglines (with some restrictions, due to limitations imposed by them) but the best option for you would probably be Gregarius. This is an open source online feed reader that uses the same kind of Ajax-y techniques Google Reader does, that you can set up and customize for your own specific needs, plus you get a proper sync-with-Awasu feature.

prazim

Postby prazim » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:40 pm

Huh! very interesting! I will look into gregarius and see if it can be integrated int the community, which is key for me.

What I am now doing with Awasu is I am running it early in the morning so that before I get to the computer, it has fully updated. I'm not using the offline reader feature right now as Awasu is working so beautifully at this point, but will do so in the event I need to travel.

I may be back to you to figure out the synchronization with Awasu, Taka as I'll need to understand that to explain it to others once the community is in place.
much gratitude,
Sue

Return to “Awasu - Feature Requests”