Ian Murphy

Postby Ian Murphy » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:42 am

A function to import/export the current configuration, or at least the list of channels to a text file (xml?) would be handy.

The other day I had the unnerving experience of opening awasu and finding the channel list almost empty and awasu refusing to update.

It turns out something went wrong after I added a pop3 channel or an event log channel. Removing the offending new channels cured the problem but an export function would be a good way to backup your list.

Ian Murphy

squeg

Postby squeg » Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:06 pm

What you want is already there. There are several ways to backup your channels, but the one i think you'll really like is the "synchronization" feature. Choose, "synchronization/save sync data" from the file menu, enter a filename and hit the button. This saves all your program settings, your channel lists and settings, and your read/unread history to a single file. I have about 90 channels and the file ends up being about 300 to 350 mb. To reverse the process and load all those setting back in, just reverse the process.

I use this in combination with an ftp server to sync all settings and channels between two different computers, but you can use it to save periodic backups as well. Mess something up, just reload your latest sync file. The software can also be set under program options to save and/or load a specific sync file and exit/launch.

---

If you're just looking to preserve a channel list in xml, then you can use the report function to generate an OPML file. When setting up the report, select the "exportOPML" template.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:03 am

What squeg said :-)

I might add a few comments to his otherwise comprehensive answer. The reason his sync data files are as big as they are is because he probably has the option to save the last feed for each channel turned on. If you're only looking to backup your Awasu, you can turn this off which will produce significantly smaller sync data files. It'll be much faster as well :-)

Saving sync data won't save any plugin scripts or XSLT's or anything else that you may have manually installed so for a complete backup, you need to also save the Awasu installation directory.

In fact, if you're only looking to back things up, a simple save (and restore, if necessary) of the Awasu installation directory is sufficient. Some stuff is stored in the Registry but none of it is critical; everything of importance is stored in data files in the installation directory.

squeg

Postby squeg » Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:08 pm

The reason his sync data files are as big as they are is because he probably has the option to save the last feed for each channel turned on. If you're only looking to backup your Awasu, you can turn this off which will produce significantly smaller sync data files. It'll be much faster as well

Actually, i don't have "save last feed" enabled. What i DO have is an inability to tell a KB from a MB. My last post should have read 300 to 350 KB. Much smaller. :) About 200kb of that is preserving the item history for the last 30 days. The rest is settings and channels. Sorry for any confusion.

Return to “Awasu - Feature Requests”