squeg

Postby squeg » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:56 pm

Now that we can search without tanking Awasu, do you think we could add an option to have the navbar on by default on that page? I couldn't find the setting anywhere, and as it's the only spot that's got a convenient "back" button, I end up having to toggle it on each time i run a search. (If only I could get "mouse gestures" to work for that ;) )

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:01 am

squeg wrote:Now that we can search without tanking Awasu, do you think we could add an option to have the navbar on by default on that page? I couldn't find the setting anywhere, and as it's the only spot that's got a convenient "back" button, I end up having to toggle it on each time i run a search.

Sigh... Alt-Left, Alt-Left!!! Even just Backspace will do the trick! :roll:

If you must insist on using the mouse, the blue arrows at the top and bottom of the page will also let you move backwards and forwards.

You can force navbars in the Display tab of the Program Options (Default navbar: On) although this will affect *all* windows. I'll add some debug switches to let you change the preferred state for individual windows.

squeg wrote: (If only I could get "mouse gestures" to work for that ;) )

Hmmm, I'm sure I told you about this already. I just drag a horizontal line from right to left with my mouse to go back in my browser.

dgnc

Postby dgnc » Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:57 pm

I have an 8 button Logitech MX1000 mouse and whilst the back/forward buttons work in IE outside Awasu they don't work inside it.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:19 pm

dgnc wrote:I have an 8 button Logitech MX1000 mouse and whilst the back/forward buttons work in IE outside Awasu they don't work inside it.

I've seen things like this as well. It's certainly not Awasu causing the problem - we don't do any funky stuff with the mouse or anything like that.

Have you seen it with any other IE-based applications?

squeg

Postby squeg » Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:56 pm

You can force navbars in the Display tab of the Program Options (Default navbar: On) although this will affect *all* windows. I'll add some debug switches to let you change the preferred state for individual windows.

That's exactly what i was looking for. Always on for everything. It was set to auto by default. Sorry i didn't find that before asking. Don't change anything else on my account and realize that the rest of this note is optional. :)

Sigh... Alt-Left, Alt-Left!!! Even just Backspace will do the trick!

When I work, (write, code, whatever), I use the keyboard because that's where my hands are. I like to minimize the mouse then. When I'm surfing/reading... i can do it all with one hand on the mouse and the other under my chin holding my head up as I lean on the desk. It's not the best posture but it's habit. Soooooo... under those circumstances, mousing IS actually faster and more convenient. I know about the key combinations, but they're not the first thing that comes to mind, therefore, they're slower. I also know about right-clicking and choosing "back" from the context menu. But i generally only do this when accidentally attempting to go backwards using a mouse gesture due to ingrained Opera habits. (see below)

If you must insist on using the mouse, the blue arrows at the top and bottom of the page will also let you move backwards and forwards.

Those buttons are only available within the search results. What i wanted was a way to get back to the search results easily after having click a link within them. (And yes, i know all about opening in other windows etc. I just like to do it this way some times.)

Hmmm, I'm sure I told you about this already. I just drag a horizontal line from right to left with my mouse to go back in my browser.

I have no idea what you're talking about here. IE has never understood mouse gestures on it's own. And I don't actually recall mentioning them here before. I was really just being facetious. I do use them extensively in Opera and firefox, however. If you have some way of making IE go forward and back via mouse movements, i'd love to know what it is.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:48 am

squeg wrote:When I work, (write, code, whatever), I use the keyboard because that's where my hands are. I like to minimize the mouse then. When I'm surfing/reading... i can do it all with one hand on the mouse and the other under my chin holding my head up as I lean on the desk.

I have my right-hand using the mouse and the left on the keyboard. A lot of the commonly used keyboard shortcuts can all be done with the left hand only - this is no coincidence :-) I go pretty damn quick :evil:

I've also got a Logitech mouse that has a thumb-operated button that I've programmed to do a browser back.

squeg wrote:I have no idea what you're talking about here. IE has never understood mouse gestures on it's own. And I don't actually recall mentioning them here before. I was really just being facetious. I do use them extensively in Opera and firefox, however. If you have some way of making IE go forward and back via mouse movements, i'd love to know what it is.

I guess the link didn't show up too well: http://www.tcbmi.com/strokeit/ Must fix the stylesheet when i have some spare time (HA! :cry:)

I was probably <strike>whining</strike> telling somebody else about it.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:16 pm

support wrote:we don't do any funky stuff with the mouse or anything like that.

OK, this may have been a slight fib :oops: I just noticed something in the code today relating to some mousal funkiness.

I'll put a switch in the next build to disable it and we'll see if it makes a difference.

squeg

Postby squeg » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:31 pm

I guess the link didn't show up too well: http://www.tcbmi.com/strokeit/ Must fix the stylesheet when i have some spare time (HA! )

Wow! that's all i can say. My dreams have come true and I can now die a satisfied computer user. Well sort of. What a fantastic tool.

Sorry i missed the link the first time. Short ones can be hard to see some times. But thank you very much for pointing this out to me. From this day forth all my applications will minimize, maximize, restore, and page left and right all by the power of my mouse! Wheee.... little blue lines for everyone!!!! Yay.

*takes several deep breaths* Okay... sorry, just a little excited. :)

Return to “Awasu - Feature Requests”