jrmarino
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:10 pm

Postby jrmarino » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:55 pm

Hi, I've got a couple of suggestions about something that has irritated me for a while.

In no particular order:
I use Awasu on a laptop. When I'm typing, especially in PhpED, I notice the laptop freeze up. It doesn't return until an Awasu window pops up to let me know something happened.

My suggestion is to have Awasu run at a lower than normal priority -- at least have a setting so that it starts at the priority you want. Personally I would prefer the lowest possible priority as an RSS feed update should never interrupt my work.

That brings me to suggestion two -- I have enough feeds that the multiple channels update at the same time. Often at the worst moment, the AWASU popup window will cover up something I am looking at, so I manually close it. Guess what, it opens again with another message. I close it, and it opens again with a third message. I would love the option to have the messages accumulate and show them all at once -- one window (I don't care how tall the window is). So rather than trigger per event, it only triggers over a X-minute interval if something happens in that time. Have you seen the close-close-close thing before? happens all the time to me and it's super annoying.


On a happy note, when is your new version going to finally come out? I've been waiting to buy Awasu for like a year now thinking the new version is coming any day now. I know I can buy now, it's just a pyschological thing. I wonder if there are others like me holding off for the same reason?

User avatar
support
Site Admin
Posts: 3021
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Postby support » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:25 pm

jrmarino wrote:My suggestion is to have Awasu run at a lower than normal priority -- at least have a setting so that it starts at the priority you want.

There are several issues at play here. Firstly, while Awasu does use a lot of CPU when it's updating channels, those threads run at a low priority so if there's something else that needs CPU, Awasu will give way to them. Some people have noticed Awasu using lots of CPU (in Task Manager) but Awasu is actually working the way you would want it to: a CPU-intensive process using lots of CPU if no-one else wants it but relinquishes it if someone else does.

What you're most likely seeing is Awasu hitting the disk very hard. Windows has never been terribly good at multi-thread/process I/O (e.g. Explorer hanging when you go to the network or insert a DVD) and because Awasu hits the disk a lot when new content is arriving, this is probably having a detrimental effect on your system as a whole. And if it's a laptop, you probably have a 5400rpm (or 4200rpm :eek:) disk, which only exacerbates the problem.

Disabling the search index, or deferring updates to off-peak times will make a big difference.

jrmarino wrote:Personally I would prefer the lowest possible priority as an RSS feed update should never interrupt my work.

It is possible to tweak the priority of many of Awasu's threads but as described above, it's unlikely to make much difference.

jrmarino wrote:Often at the worst moment, the AWASU popup window will cover up something I am looking at, so I manually close it. Guess what, it opens again with another message. I close it, and it opens again with a third message.

What version are you running? In 2.3.3, we changed the behavior of balloons so that if you closed/cancelled them manually, they would pause for a short while before starting again (for exactly the reason you described).

jrmarino wrote:I would love the option to have the messages accumulate and show them all at once -- one window (I don't care how tall the window is). So rather than trigger per event, it only triggers over a X-minute interval if something happens in that time.

There is already something like this. If you open a channel's Properties dialog, in the first page there is a <i>Consolidate multiple new items into a single balloon</i> option. Turning this on means that if more than one new item is received when a channel updates, Awasu will show a single balloon for all of them instead of one balloon per new item.

jrmarino wrote:when is your new version going to finally come out? I've been waiting to buy Awasu for like a year now thinking the new version is coming any day now.

Scheduling is still not locked down in concrete yet since we've got some big things going on around New Year, but we're working furiously for a early December release. In the worst case, we'll have an unofficial pre-release at that time and the formal release late January.

jrmarino wrote:I know I can buy now, it's just a pyschological thing. I wonder if there are others like me holding off for the same reason?

Doesn't really matter. Whenever you buy, you get 12 months of free updates which will certainly cover the 2.4 release. So you can buy now, upgrade to 2.3.4 (the current beta release), upgrade to 2.3.5 (when it comes out in about a fortnight) which will be almost identical to 2.4 (coincidentally, we hit code complete today), then upgrade to 2.4 when it comes out in December.

User avatar
support
Site Admin
Posts: 3021
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Postby support » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:40 pm

BTW, I should also add that if you're still running 2.3, the later betas contain a *lot* of performance optimizations that address CPU/disk usage.

jrmarino
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:10 pm

Postby jrmarino » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:16 pm

Yes, I'm running 2.3
I was under the impression it was the latest non-beta version.

So I think I already have items consolidated per channel -- the request is to consolidate all the channels together. I'm still getting one window per channel (not multiple windows from the same channel). But if you have a lot of channels (I might have 10 - 12, which I don't think is a lot), then you can still get this effect.

I'm aware that channel consolidate is probably a big deal, but I'm not sure how else to fix this other than turn off the notifications altogether.

User avatar
support
Site Admin
Posts: 3021
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Postby support » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:26 am

jrmarino wrote:Yes, I'm running 2.3
I was under the impression it was the latest non-beta version.

That's correct. The betas are pretty solid and well-tested, the term "beta" refers more to how they are packaged (manual installation rather than a proper installer).

jrmarino wrote:I'm aware that channel consolidate is probably a big deal, but I'm not sure how else to fix this other than turn off the notifications altogether.

There isn't, although 2.3.4 introduced a new item to the system tray menu that lets you pause balloons, which might help.

It's not a bad idea, being able to configure a channel to show balloons only once every X minutes. However, we're on the final run to 2.4 now and it's critical bug fixes only, but I'll add this one to The List for the first beta after that.


Return to “Awasu - Feature Requests”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest