256greys

Postby 256greys » Fri May 02, 2003 3:12 pm

Hi,
You're making a very good job with this program, I'm impressed. It's very useful and I look forward to the new features you're going to add.
Now a couple of remarks:

1 - I like the channel filters idea, but I think that folders are necessary (even better, if you don't have hundreds of feeds). Maybe you could also implement some meta-folders (search folders, filter folders, as you wish...), containing the feeds filtered by "channel filters". I'm not a keyboard-shortcut kind of guy, and it would surely improve the interface.
Still, I strongly believe that normal folders are good and necessary.

2 - A "minimize to system tray on exit" would be good. And then to close the program you rightclick on the tray icon.. Just like those p2p programs. It should be, of course, optional.

3 - I'd like to see lickable links in consolidated ballons, and also an X to make the baloon disappear without opening the program.

4 - Some interface redesign should be made:
-Get rid of the green bullet for "new content" (what's the use, when you have numbers?).
-Follow the standards: The feed with new messages gets bold.
-A tree structure on the left, with folders and icons for emails, urls, and plugin generated feeds.
-"Important", "read later", and easy "read/to-read" icons by the posts are cool. Everybody got used to them by using e mail clients. And also to some other sortable fields, like date-time and fields specific from the feed.
-Search, readme-list and others good features are completely hidden, while others, not so useful, are on the menu (exit?!..).
-Icons and general look isn't very good (in my opinion), but that's not so important.

5 - I made a template for me, for summaries. I thought I could post it here if anybody wants it. (It uses georgia, you should have it...)

Code: Select all

<HTML>

<HEAD>
<TITLE> {%CHANNEL-NAME%} Summary Page </TITLE>
<STYLE>
    DIV.ChannelDescription { font-family:Georgia ; font-size:11px ; font-style: normal ; color: #666666 ; }
    DIV.ChannelDetails { font-size:10px ; font-style: italic ; color: #cccccc ;}
   DIV.FeedItemTitle { font-family:Georgia ; line-height : 15px ; font-weight: bold ; font-size:11px ; color: black ;}
    DIV.FeedItemDescription { font-family:Georgia ; line-height : 15px ; font-size: 11px ; color: #666666 ; }
    DIV.FeedItemDetails { text-align: right ; font-family:Arial ; font-size:10px ; font-style: italic ; color: #999999 ; margin-right: 10px ;}
   A { text-decoration: none ; color: #9F0000 ; }
   A:HOVER { text-decoration: underline ; }
</STYLE>
</HEAD>

<BODY>

<!-- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -->
<SPAN style="font-family:Arial;">
<table border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" align="center" width="100%">
<tr>
   <td bgcolor="#ccccff">
   <A style="font-size:18px; color: #white ; " href="{%CHANNEL-HOME-URL%}"><b>{%CHANNEL-NAME%}</b></A>
   &<I><SPAN style="font-size:10px; color: #333333 ; ">{%LAST-UPDATE-TIME%}</SPAN></I>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
   <td bgcolor="#eeeeff">
   <DIV class="ChannelDescription">
   {%CHANNEL-DESCRIPTION%}
   </DIV>
   </td>
</tr>
<tr>
   <td bgcolor="#ffffff">
   <DIV class="ChannelDetails">
   {%CHANNEL-DETAILS%}
   </DIV></td>
</tr>
</table>
</SPAN>
<P>

<!-- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -->

<table border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="2" align="center" width="100%">
{%REPEAT% FeedItems}

<tr>
   <td bgcolor="#eeeeee" onMouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#e6e6e6';" onMouseout="this.style.backgroundColor='#eeeeee';">
   <DIV class="FeedItemTitle"><A href="{%ITEM-URL%}">{%ITEM-TITLE%}</A></DIV>
   <DIV class="FeedItemDescription">
   {%ITEM-DESCRIPTION%}
   </DIV>
   <DIV class="FeedItemDetails">
   {%ITEM-DETAILS%}
   </DIV>
   </td>
</tr>

{%/REPEAT%}
</table>

</BODY>

</HTML>

Thanks again for the great piece of software!

Marco Q.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat May 03, 2003 5:48 am

256greys wrote:1 - I like the channel filters idea, but I think that folders are necessary (even better, if you don't have hundreds of feeds). Maybe you could also implement some meta-folders (search folders, filter folders, as you wish...), containing the feeds filtered by "channel filters".

Yep. This will be coming soon, a mechanism that allows you to arrange your channel subscriptions using a combination of filters and folders. We will also be adding something that lets you change filters quickly (using the mouse :-)) without having to go through the filter dialog.

256greys wrote:2 - A "minimize to system tray on exit" would be good. And then to close the program you rightclick on the tray icon..

Good idea. We'll add this soon.

256greys wrote:3 - I'd like to see lickable links in consolidated ballons, and also an X to make the baloon disappear without opening the program.

This is already on the ever-increasing to-do list :-)

256greys wrote:-Get rid of the green bullet for "new content" (what's the use, when you have numbers?).

Because the numbers can be turned off. The bullet is also easier to see.

256greys wrote:-Follow the standards: The feed with new messages gets bold.

Um, this is not a standard :-) Just because most other readers do it doesn't mean it's necessarily the best way.

256greys wrote:-"Important", "read later", and easy "read/to-read" icons by the posts are cool.

We've got something like this planned. But you can have "read later" right now. If you right-click on an item in the item pane, you will see an option to add it to the Read-me list. This stores URL's in the Workpad for reading later.

256greys wrote:Everybody got used to them by using e mail clients. And also to some other sortable fields, like date-time and fields specific from the feed.

Yep. Coming soon...

256greys wrote:-Icons and general look isn't very good (in my opinion), but that's not so important.

Ah, well that's a question of personal taste :-)

256greys wrote:5 - I made a template for me, for summaries. I thought I could post it here if anybody wants it. (It uses georgia, you should have it...)

Fantastic! Thanks for this. We've worked hard to make Awasu as customizable as possible and we're really keen for people to submit things that they have done.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

256greys

Postby 256greys » Thu May 08, 2003 7:28 pm

support wrote:
256greys wrote:-Get rid of the green bullet for "new content" (what's the use, when you have numbers?).

Because the numbers can be turned off. The bullet is also easier to see.

Ok, then show the bullet only when numbers are off. I'd like to see how many unread messages I have, without the need to click on the feed.
:)

support wrote:
256greys wrote:-Follow the standards: The feed with new messages gets bold.

Um, this is not a standard :-) Just because most other readers do it doesn't mean it's necessarily the best way.

I would consider it as an interface de facto standard. You see it in every email, feedreader, istant messaging program. I think it's good to support these look&feel semistandards, originality is not a good thing for interface designers..

support wrote:
256greys wrote:-"Important", "read later", and easy "read/to-read" icons by the posts are cool.

We've got something like this planned. But you can have "read later" right now. If you right-click on an item in the item pane, you will see an option to add it to the Read-me list. This stores URL's in the Workpad for reading later.

Again, it's not a feature problem, it's just an interface consideration.. I find that the read-me list has another function, and cannot comfortably replace the icons by the posts..

And another thing.. the most important: Please do something to allow multiple selection and action on posts and feeds. I miss it very much!

Once again, I appreciate the work you are doing, it's just too easy to sit here and tell people what i want. :)

Marco Q.

Return to “Awasu - Feature Requests”