julianelve

Postby julianelve » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:34 am

Running awasu 2.4 Pro on Windows Vists Home Professional SP2

Being a Vista laptop, it crashes a couple of times a day.

If Awasu is open when the crash happens, then when the machine is restarted and I run Awasu again, several things happen:

1) Awasu asks again for my licence - easy enough to fix but annoying

2) Get the database version string error - fixed by editing config.ini. Note that config.ini must have suffered badly in the crash, because the only entry present is the LicenceKey

3) Awasu then starts, but has lost all of my folder structure!

3 is the really annoying one because it represents hours of work - any clues on what might be getting corripted and anyway I can find a backup?

thanks

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:41 am

Yes, all three things are stored in the <tt>CONFIG.INI</tt> file, so if it's getting corrupted, they will need to be re-entered. Unfortunately, if the system crashes while a program is in the middle of writing out a file, there's not much the program can do :-(

All I can suggest is that you back things up regularly. I use Acronis TrueImage myself and it's great, it Just Works<sup><i><small>(TM)</small></i></sup> (I don't get any kickbacks, just a satisfied customer :-)).

julianelve

Postby julianelve » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:57 am

support wrote:Yes, all three things are stored in the <tt>CONFIG.INI</tt> file, so if it's getting corrupted, they will need to be re-entered. Unfortunately, if the system crashes while a program is in the middle of writing out a file, there's not much the program can do :-(

All I can suggest is that you back things up regularly. I use Acronis TrueImage myself and it's great, it Just Works<sup><i><small>(TM)</small></i></sup> (I don't get any kickbacks, just a satisfied customer :-)).

Appreciate the app can't do much if the platform dies.

Unfortunately toda's crash was after three hours of re-arranging folders and adding new feeds.

Since config.ini is so critical to Awasu, how about creating a backup copy before writing out a change? Does Awasu hold the file open or is it consistent in closing the file after each access?

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:48 pm

julianelve wrote:Since config.ini is so critical to Awasu, how about creating a backup copy before writing out a change?

It's a lot of stuffing around to handle something that shouldn't really be an issue. If your computer is crashing that often, you've probably got bigger problems :-) Although we are talking about Windows here :roll:

But I take your point, and it's not a bad idea - I've had the same issue and I know other people have as well. I'll have a ponder...

julianelve

Postby julianelve » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:40 pm

support wrote:It's a lot of stuffing around to handle something that shouldn't really be an issue. If your computer is crashing that often, you've probably got bigger problems :-)

too true!

support wrote:But I take your point, and it's not a bad idea - I've had the same issue and I know other people have as well. I'll have a ponder...

thanks

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:10 pm

julianelve, first and foremost you need to try to resolve the crashing of your laptop. :!:

I've had very good luck with my Windows PCs, but I perform some kind of regular maintenance weekly (FYI I ran Windows 98 for way too long, but it rarely crashed). Once a week I run (the freeware) CCleaner to delete various temporary files that accumulate, I also use CCleaner to remove unused Windows Registry entries (it can back up the Registry entries before deleting them, which I recommend). Then I defragment my hard drive and run virus/spyware scans. I admit I'm a fanatic, but my Windows PCs have rarely crashed and they are loaded with software. I just boot my PC up at a time when I'm not going to use it and run CCleaner, come back in a few minutes and start defragmenting, come back in a hour and start the virus scan. I'm watching TV in the meantime and the whole process only takes 10-20 minutes of my actual time. 8)

I also try to keep Windows updated with the latest patches and update all of my drivers. I really feel that drivers are one of the biggest software problems with PCs, especially display drivers, so you might uninstall a few apps that you don't really use and delete any drivers for things that you don't regularly plug into your laptop.

I don't have Vista so I can't give you anything specific to try, but since you have a Laptop your internal hardware is probably unchanged since you purchased it, which means that many other people have the same exact hardware configuration as you (unlike desktops where we muck around with the internal hardware). You might try asking a few questions in a Laptop-specific forum such as the ones hosted at notebookforums.com. They even have brand-specific forums! :coolthumb:

Be sure to write down the exact text of any error messages you receive and post those exact messages to the forums, plus try to take note of what you are doing when the crashes occur. See if you can find a common pattern like "usually when I close my web browser it crashes".

Best of luck to you! I'm here to tell you that you can have a stable Windows PC, unfortunately it requires more work than it should. :bah:

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:00 am

Now regarding backup/restore/recover...

Acronis
I've never used Acronis, but the guy who runs a very successful custom PC shop in my city swears by it using it both at home and for his business systems. It gets good reviews and it's been "on my list" to check out/buy but I've been busy with other things and my PCs don't crash too often. :wink: It looks like the 2010 version features "Nonstop Backup" that will backup your system every 5 minutes similar to Mac OSX's "Time Machine", so I think I better look into Acronis sooner than later.

Recovery
I did have a USB drive with GBs of important stuff that fell out of my pocket too many times a few years ago and became "unreadable". I tried several free and commercial file recovery software packages and ended up buying R-Studio which was able to recover all of my data. Also the same guy who wrote CCleaner has also written a free file recovery software, Recuva, and I've heard good things about Pandora Recovery too.

Other backup options
I do use WinZip to back up some things and you can define back up "jobs" (.WJF file extension) that you can easily repeatedly run them as needed. Here's my WinZip job to perfom a "full" backup of my Awasu installation:

Code: Select all

<xml>
<winzipjob>
<wizard>
<items>
<item>C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\My Documents\Awasu\</item>
<item>C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Awasu\</item>
<item>C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Application Data\Awasu\</item>
<item>C:\Program Files\Awasu\</item>
</items>
<output>
<name>AwasuBackupFull.zip</name>
<folder>&lt;^24&gt;\My WinZip Files\</folder>
<log>
</output>
<options>
<flags>0001</flags>
<compression>
<span>
<split>0</split>
<encryption>
<folders>
<cd>
</options>
<email>
<mailitem>
<sendto>
<subject>
<subject>
</mailitem>
</email>
</winzipjob>

I've got a similar WinZip job to perform a "differential" backup.

Also, at the simplest level you can write a batch file (.BAT file extension) to backup your files, here's an example of a simple batch file I can use to back up my portable version of Awasu running on my USB drive:

Code: Select all

@echo off
cls

Set AwasuBackupDir=C:\_AwasuBackup

for /F "tokens=2-4 delims=/- " %%A in ('date/T') do set Today=%%C-%%A-%%B

C:
cd %AwasuBackupDir%
md %Today%

echo Backing up Awasu directories...

xcopy E:\MyAwasuData\*.* %AwasuBackupDir%\%Today%\MyAwasuData /D /E /I /F /H /R /K /O /Y

xcopy "E:\Program Files\Awasu\*.*" %AwasuBackupDir%\%Today%\ /D /E /I /F /H /R /K /O /Y

Set AwasuBackupDir=
set Today=

echo Backup of Awasu directories complete

pause

It creates a new folder with today's date each time I run it.

Of course you'd need to change some of these file paths to get them to work for your system.

If you need any more details you know where to find me.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:21 am

kevotheclone wrote:I've been busy with other things and my PCs don't crash too often

You realize you've just about guaranteed yourself a crash in the near future...? :roll:

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:28 am

support wrote:You realize you've just about guaranteed yourself a crash in the near future...? :roll:

I like to think of it as "being lucky", but more than likely I unknowingly made a "deal" years ago with somebody who's really bad :twisted: for which I will have to pay for eternity in the afterlife. :cry:

So now I'm trying to stay really healthy to keep that inevitable day from coming anytime soon. Also I think if I do enough community service (like offering assistance in online forums), maybe my good deeds will help to undue this awful "deal" that I must have unknowingly made.
:hysterical:

Return to “Awasu - Bug Reports”