pinemeadows

Postby pinemeadows » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:59 pm

I have about 700 or so feeds and every now and then one of them is marked in red - usually it's when a blog has closed down for whatever reason - but yesterday, when I loaded Awasu, about 600 out of my 700 feeds were red! I've tried going in and out, reloading new feeds, everything I can think of, but the problem is still there.

I tried to post this in General Discussion, but after I log in, I can't get there!

Thanks

BJ

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:13 pm

pinemeadows wrote:I have about 700 or so feeds and every now and then one of them is marked in red - usually it's when a blog has closed down for whatever reason - but yesterday, when I loaded Awasu, about 600 out of my 700 feeds were red! I've tried going in and out, reloading new feeds, everything I can think of, but the problem is still there.

A channel with a red cross means it's in "error mode" i.e. it's had too many consecutive errors when updating. Open up one of the channel's Properties dialog, go to the Errors tab to see what the problem is.

pinemeadows wrote:I tried to post this in General Discussion, but after I log in, I can't get there!

What exactly do you mean? You can't see it, it doesn't let you start a new topic, the link doesn't work...?

pinemeadows

Postby pinemeadows » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:05 am

It says that the "connection with server reset" but this is an issue that started on Friday evening and has not "fixed itself" which I'm under the impression is supposed to happen. I have no server issues and most of my 700+ feeds are still red with the big x beside them.

Do I have to do something to each and every one of these?

As for the forums, once I'm logged in, I cannot see the "General Discussion" forum....only the other 3.

Thanks

pinemeadows

Postby pinemeadows » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:04 am

Well, I have wasted much time this evening....updated individual channels in one folder this evening - maybe 100 or so. I then closed the program, and went on to something else. Just now I re-opened it and requested "update all channels"....and once again, almost all of them are red. There is really something wrong here - I can't possibly fix this by myself, apparently.

Thanks for any help you can give.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:33 am

pinemeadows wrote:It says that the "connection with server reset" but this is an issue that started on Friday evening and has not "fixed itself" which I'm under the impression is supposed to happen.

Has this kind of thing happened before?

pinemeadows wrote:I have no server issues and most of my 700+ feeds are still red with the big x beside them.

Can you connect to the sites normally in a browser? Have you installed, or changed settings for, anything recently on your PC that might be interfering with your internet connection (e.g. firewall, virus checker)? What happens if you open a channel and click on its title in the browser pane (should take you that channel's web site). Or open a web site manually (File|Open web page)?

When you choose the Update all menu item, hold down the SHIFT key. This will force all channels to try to update themselves as thoroughly as possible.

pinemeadows wrote:As for the forums, once I'm logged in, I cannot see the "General Discussion" forum....only the other 3.

Odd. Can you please try again.

pinemeadows

Postby pinemeadows » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:14 pm

There must be a corrupt file somewhere - and now that I think of it, I did have an error message from Awasu on Friday morning. I didn't pay any attention as I have recvd those before if I leave the program open for several hours or overnight.

Anyway the situation is worse than ever with almost all the feeds showing that error message now. I'm unable to even use it.

Do you have any suggestions?

Oh, and I can see the General Discussions forum today after logging in.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:17 pm

pinemeadows wrote:There must be a corrupt file somewhere

A corrupt file is unlikely to be causing this. You can (1) try re-installing Awasu or (2) deleting your archived content but neither of these are likely to help.

Again:
(*) Can you connect to the sites normally in a browser?
(*) Have you installed, or changed settings for, anything recently on your PC that might be interfering with your internet connection (e.g. firewall, virus checker)?
(*) What happens if you open a channel and click on its title in the browser pane (should take you that channel's web site).
(*) Or open a web site manually (File|Open web page)?
(*) What happens if you open a channel - do you see any stories?

pinemeadows

Postby pinemeadows » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:02 pm

I can connect to any of the sites in a browser.

I have not installed anything - nothing - nor have I changed any settings.

If I open a channel, and click on the title, it does go to the website.

If I open a channel, I see all the feeds and can read them like normal.

If I highlight a feed, click on File, Open Web Page, then I get a box that asks for the URL. (Shouldn't it have this?)

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:10 am

Thanks.

Open the About box (from the Help menu) and go to the System page. Click on the Local data button - an Explorer window will open. Go into the Logs directory, ZIP up all the files and send them to me (support@awasu.com).

Note that Awasu needs to have done at least one round of updates before you do this (do the hold-down-SHIFT-while-choosing-Update All thing).

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:03 am

I know I'm late to this party, but I'll just add that using a local HTTP Proxy like Fiddler will allow you to see the http requests/responses that Awasu sends when you update a Channel:

Here's a successful request/response:

Code: Select all

GET http://feeds.feedburner.com/oreilly/ebookdealoftheday?format=xml HTTP/1.1
If-Modified-Since: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 14:26:35 GMT
If-None-Match: s60aOr29Zpt9BgUMzaVHwPkUnP0
Accept-Encoding: gzip
User-Agent: Awasu/3.0PRO
Host: feeds.feedburner.com
Pragma: no-cache

HTTP/1.1 304 Not Modified
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 06:18:52 GMT
Server: GSE

Here's one that's not successful (no longer returning Atom/RSS):

Code: Select all

GET http://feeds.feedburner.com/ANetworkedWorld HTTP/1.1
Accept-Encoding: gzip
User-Agent: Awasu/3.0PRO
Host: feeds.feedburner.com
Pragma: no-cache

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
ETag: 8FBbmrcrqxhcnF09nh6YDVHgWcY
Last-Modified: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 06:20:20 GMT
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 06:54:44 GMT
Expires: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 06:54:44 GMT
Cache-Control: private, max-age=0
X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff
X-XSS-Protection: 1; mode=block
Server: GSE
Content-Length: 271

<html><head><META HTTP-EQUIV="CACHE-CONTROL" CONTENT="NO-CACHE"></head>
<body>
<script type='text/javascript'>
timer = setTimeout("do_redirect()",0);

function do_redirect(){
document.location = "http://channel-reward-central.com/?sov=679913";
}
</script>
</body></html>

If you try to update a single red Channel in Awasu and you don't see any Fiddler activity getting logged then it probably means that the request is not occurring.

If you do see Fiddler activity then "raw" Inpector output may help in the debugging.

pinemeadows

Postby pinemeadows » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:58 pm

I just got home and opened Awasu - had it update all the feeds, and they are all now normal. There's only 1 feed in red - and I knew there were issues with that one.

So - I appreciate all the help here - I had no idea that it would take DAYS to "fix itself".....

Is it possible that a power outage would cause this? Occasionally, the power here "blinks" - just goes off and on rapidly.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:05 am

pinemeadows wrote:Is it possible that a power outage would cause this?

The problem appeared to be a flaky internet connection, so it's possible, but you'd think you would then also be unable to connect to sites outside of Awasu as well.

I blame cosmic rays... :shrug:

Return to “Awasu - Bug Reports”