robP

Postby robP » Tue May 23, 2017 10:36 am

Not sure if this is a bug or not.
After recent 3.1 upgrade, Awasu gives “Awasu has stopped working “ error whenever I access a Reuters site.

Any ideas ? – test feed http://feeds.reuters.com/~r/reuters/bus ... SKBN18I1BT
Remaining feeds all seem ( at a quick test) to be working normally in Awasu.
Reuters feed shows OK in Firefox and IE

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue May 23, 2017 11:00 am

After recent 3.1 upgrade, Awasu gives “Awasu has stopped working “ error whenever I access a Reuters site.

The URL you gave is for a normal HTML page, not a feed, so I'm guessing you mean Awasu crashes whenever you try to open a Reuters web page...?

Does the crash handler come up? It should offer to send the crash log through to us. Otherwise, what version of Windows are you running?

What happens if you try to just open the URL inside Awasu, but outside the channel (File|Open web page)?

Things like this are almost invariably because of Flash, or some funky Javascript/HTML5 on the page :wall: It works OK for me... :(

robP

Postby robP » Tue May 23, 2017 12:55 pm

The feed updates normally.

When opening the item in Awasu, it opens (shows in item pane) and then crashes.

Also crashes if try inside Awasu, but outside the channel (any of the File|Open web page/tab options) but will (File|open|new window) OK.

Not showing crash handler with offer to forward, just the error window. (graphic available if needed)

Software - win10 64bit 1607 fully updated.

If you think this may be an issue just local to me, give me some clues and I'll check settings.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue May 23, 2017 2:31 pm

robP wrote:Also crashes if try inside Awasu, but outside the channel (any of the File|Open web page/tab options) but will (File|open|new window) OK.

Are you talking about the menu options in a separate IE window, running outside of Awasu? I was referring to the File|Open web page menu option inside Awasu.

Otherwise, I'm baffled as to what this could be. What happens if you open the channel, then paste the URL into the window's URL bar?

robP wrote:Not showing crash handler with offer to forward, just the error window. (graphic available if needed)

Yes please.

Without a crash log, it's going to be hard to prove this isn't Awasu :) You can force Awasu to crash on startup by creating a DEBUG.INI file that looks like this:

Code: Select all

[Debug]
CrashOnStartup = 1

This will check if the crash handler is working properly.

robP wrote:If you think this may be an issue just local to me, give me some clues and I'll check settings.

The only thing I can think of is that the embedded IE browser is not running the same version as an external IE window. Check HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION\awasu.exe in the Registry - what is it set to?.

Although, IIRC you were one of those people who were running the Mozilla embedded browser...? Are you still?

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Tue May 23, 2017 5:32 pm

support wrote:

[Debug]
CrashOnStartup = 1

This will check if the crash handler is working properly.

:lol: You think of everything!

I don't have much time this morning, but I ran a couple of quick tests:
  • The specific web page open in Firefox 53.0.3 ok. Pressing F12 to view the Console shows several script errors on the page.
  • Open the URL inside Awasu, but outside the channel (File|Open web page), displays an IE script error dialog box first, then crashes Awasu, without Awasu's crash handler being displayed, just the Windows

Here's a record from Windows Application Event log, which seems to point to our good ol' friend MSHTML.DLL

Fault bucket 108917665203, type 1
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: awasu.exe
P2: 3.1.0.0
P3: 58e7b9be
P4: MSHTML.dll
P5: 11.0.14393.1198
P6: 59028759
P7: c00000fd
P8: 004364db
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER40AF.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\Users\Kevin\AppData\Local\Temp\WER4A26.tmp.appcompat.txt

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_awasu.exe_defb5ec79e127f9f434dc4b23faac32fc670a9_da50bfc7_15d080a6

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 02fdebc6-cf54-4e76-94de-b1176b462ec6
Report Status: 1
Hashed bucket: d5a018c42e773d5520f8832d43e84a9f

Hope this helps, I'm using a fully updated Win10.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue May 23, 2017 6:11 pm

kevotheclone wrote: :lol: You think of everything!

Yah, just don't forget to turn it off again :roll:

BTW, I got a crash dump from him when he tried this, so the crash handler is working, just not in this particular case (same as for you).

kevotheclone wrote:Open the URL inside Awasu, but outside the channel (File|Open web page), displays an IE script error dialog box first, then crashes Awasu, without Awasu's crash handler being displayed, just the Windows

Thanks for running this test. Does Awasu still crash if you disable IE dialog boxes (Program Options, Display tab, "Use: Internet Explorer" properties, Disable dialog boxes)?

There might be something different in our IE's, so I'm very interested to see what the value of his registry key (that I mentioned above) is.

Also, robP is running in a corporate environment, so is almost certainly going through a proxy, so I'm wondering if there is something there that is trying to popup a dialog. He has dialog boxes disabled. Or maybe he's logged into the Reuters site (although I didn't see a login button) that's causing slightly different behaviour (although you're probably not).

robP

Postby robP » Wed May 24, 2017 4:20 pm

Forgive slow response - Work getting in the way :oops:

Looks like my problem can be emulated.
The only thing I can think of is that the embedded IE browser is not running the same version as an external IE window. Check HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION\awasu.exe in the Registry - what is it set to?
It's dword 0

No proxy - happens wherever I connect.

If I uncheck "Disable dialog boxes" all works OK :D but with many script errors (mmm - maybe that's why it was checked :brood: )

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed May 24, 2017 11:39 pm

OK, I've tried and I've tried, but I can't get Awasu to crash. I s'pose I should take that as a good thing :roll:

Try setting the registry key to 11000 or 11001 (decimal). You won't be able to do in RegEdit, since Awasu will overwrite it when it starts up, so create a DEBUG.INI file like this:

[Enhanced IE Security]
FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION = ...

and restart Awasu. You can, of course, use RegEdit to check that the new value has been installed. You can also browse to awasu.com/tmp/ua.php to check the user agent. The full set of available values is available here.

I also have a note in the source code that says that the MSDN says that 32-bit applications running on 64-bit Windows should set FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION instead, but it didn't seem to work. If the above doesn't make a difference, you could try values here (this can be done in RegEdit).

Finally, since you reported this as happening after the 3.1 upgrade, you could try rolling back to 3.0.4. This is simply a case of unpacking the release ZIP on top of your existing installation, deleting the Awasu.upgrade file, and updating the [System]:Version setting in your CONFIG.INI file.

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Sun May 28, 2017 4:26 pm

FWIW With "Disable dialog boxes" checked, I tried all of the FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION settings, but it crashed every time I clicked the link in the feed: http://feeds.reuters.com/~r/reuters/bus ... SKBN18I1BT regardless of the setting.

Each time I edited the DEBUG.INI file and restarted Awasu, I would verify that the registry value was updated by issuing this command in the Windows Command Prompt:

reg query "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION"

I have no problem opening the link if I select "Open in default browser" from the right-click context menu. My default browser is Firefox.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon May 29, 2017 12:08 am

I take it the page opens OK in IE?

IE has some sort of crash protection that it wraps around the MSHTML control (probably the "recovering webpage" thing you see sometimes), that other apps don't get, so a page will open OK in IE, but crashes in something else that has an embedded browser :(

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Mon May 29, 2017 7:37 am

This is strange, because today the page is opening OK in IE, but when I previously tested this on 23may17 (nice date format :wink:) it crashed with the same kind of error as it did when opened from within Awasu. I still have it in the Application event log:

Fault bucket 108908589246, type 1
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: IEXPLORE.EXE
P2: 11.0.14393.953
P3: 58ba5cce
P4: MSHTML.dll
P5: 11.0.14393.1198
P6: 59028759
P7: c00000fd
P8: 004364db
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERA3C2.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_IEXPLORE.EXE_14e730d51cdcbfd3532b61646f67eede2a7ed11_9b7899d6_1fabc19b

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 456e556b-5c3a-4811-8a55-ce8b6f411a24
Report Status: 0
Hashed bucket: 7eaf0e7addb022093642282585724688

Also back on 23may17, I added reuters.com to the Compatibility View list, but IIRC it didn't seem to help the problem and I had since removed it from the list.

Back to today's test (29may17), the link fails in Awasu, but succeeds in IE, which doesn't make any sense to me.
None of this is a big deal for me, as these types of crashes are very rare, and when I do encounter them I use "Open in default browser" to open the page in Firefox, but I thought I "chime in" with some test results.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon May 29, 2017 8:35 am

kevotheclone wrote:Back to today's test (29may17), the link fails in Awasu, but succeeds in IE, which doesn't make any sense to me.
None of this is a big deal for me, as these types of crashes are very rare, and when I do encounter them I use "Open in default browser" to open the page in Firefox, but I thought I "chime in" with some test results.

Thanks for that. This kind of weirdness is not so bad, it lets me close the ticket with "cosmic rays" or "demonic possession" :-D

I suspect that the difference in behavior is because IE is trapping a crash in the underlying MSHTML control that Awasu can't.

Return to “Awasu - Bug Reports”