View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Post install corrupts registry, pointers into temp folder
hi.

awasu was fun. unfortunately, your installer created registry keys that pointed to files in the temp folder. then, when the temp folder was cleared, as temp folders are from time to time, this left the registry corrupt, and crashes.

it's really very bad programming practice to install permanent files in a temp directory. and worse to install registry entries that point to temp files that will disappear.

you're not the only one who makes this error. unfortunately. hope you can fix it. :)

thanks,
adam

Fri May 21, 2004 6:34 pm

What are the specific registry entries and the files they point to? Also, what particular OS are you running? XP? 2000? 98?

Thanks

Allan

Fri May 21, 2004 11:49 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: install corrupts registry, pointers into temp folder
adam wrote:
unfortunately, your installer created registry keys that pointed to files in the temp folder. then, when the temp folder was cleared, as temp folders are from time to time, this left the registry corrupt, and crashes.

Awasu itself only creates one or two registry entries, only when it needs to - all config information is stored in data files under the Awasu directory. It's somewhere I like to stay away from :-)

However, we use a number of third-party components that do write to the registry so if you can let us know exactly what the problem keys are, I'll see what I can do.

Sat May 22, 2004 1:34 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]