View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

Post Admin/User issue - Missing data files version string
Greetings,

I am using Windows XP Professional.

My administrator has installed Awasu advanced edition 2.3 on my PC and provided me with full rights to the Awasu folder. While she is signed on as administrator I can start the program, add RSS feeds, etc. BTW, she does not have to input the user key for the program to start.

However, when I sign on with my user profile and input the user key after prompting, I get the dreaded "Initialization failed. Missing data files version string."

We uninstalled both the earlier version of the personal edition 2.2 and deleted the Awasu directories. Reinstalled, and lo and behold, had the same dialog box.

Thanks in advance for your assistance in handling this problem.

Joel

Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:40 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Admin/User issue - Missing data files version string
So, just to confirm, you were previously using 2.2 and then upgraded directly to 2.3? Was your administrator using Awasu previously, when it was 2.2?

Did you un-install 2.2 before installing 2.3?

Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:57 pm
Profile WWW

I was using 2.2 personal edition, tried upgrading directly to 2.3 advanced edition and recieved a dialog box that would not allow overwriting the previous installation. We unistalled all Awasu applications based on posts seen elsewhere in the forums. and installed 2.3 advanced edition. The administrator had not been using Awasu previously. I was using ithe personal edition as my login name without any problems.

Now, the administrator can log on and use Awasu...and I cannot. All I get is the missing data files version string message.

Thanks

Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:32 pm
Site Admin

We unistalled all Awasu applications based on posts seen elsewhere in the forums. and installed 2.3 advanced edition.

Yah, this is the problem. There is a known issue that if you un-install a previous version, any existing Awasu data doesn't get upgraded properly.

You got the original message (about not being able to overwrite files) because installations must always be done from an Administrator account (that has permissions to change things in your Program Files directory).

The best way to proceed would probably be like this:

(*) Install 2.2 on top of what you have now.
(*) Run Awasu (from your account, not the Administrator account) to make sure everything's still OK.
(*) Install 2.3 on top of 2.2. This should upgrade your data files correctly.

Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:41 pm
Profile WWW

I followed the steps, and the 2.2 personal edition works ok.

Now for step 3: Install 2.3 on top of 2.2. This should upgrade your data files correctly. I tried to install the 2.3 advanced edition and got the dialog box that said that I had to be logged on as an administrator to install it.

If my administrator installs the program, and overwrites 2.2, should this take care of the Missing data files version string and allow me to access Awasu 2.3 advanced edition as my profile?

Thanks...

Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:09 pm
Site Admin

I tried to install the 2.3 advanced edition and got the dialog box that said that I had to be logged on as an administrator to install it.

That's correct. You generally always need to be logged on as an administrator to install any software, not just Awasu.

joelmyer wrote:
If my administrator installs the program, and overwrites 2.2, should this take care of the Missing data files version string and allow me to access Awasu 2.3 advanced edition as my profile?

Yes, the installer will upgrade the data files for all Awasu users on the computer. It might complain when it comes to the Administrator account since it will find 2.3 data files when it's expecting 2.2 files but this can be ignored.

Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:43 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]