abwilson

Postby abwilson » Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:42 pm

You're already aware that I occasionally see the database locked problem. Also, still outstanding is the issue of read/unread (guid vs. url, etc.).

This is my current DEBUG.INI:

[Debug]
DefaultSqliteBusyTimeout=90

I currently have 149 channels. Of these I turned off updating on about 20 seldom read ones to try to reduce system load and improve performance (see below); another about 15-20 channels are plug-ins of one flavor or another.

When Awasu is not busy updating or banging on its database, interacting with Awasu is fine and I can move around, view groups, mark remaining items as read, and generally use it as expected. However, when Awasu gets busy in the background (typically 80-96% of my CPU, as shown by Task Manager), Awasu is extremely frustrating to use. The GUI essentially just stops. I don't get ghost windows like with some older versions, it's just that Awasu basically seems to ignore any mouse clicks, PageUp/Down, typing, or any other user interaction. *Sometimes* the cursor will change to the hourglass; usually it stays whatever it was before the GUI stopped (arrow or hand). After anywhere from 2-60 seconds, Awasu seems to decide to get around to me again :-) and the GUI is back to normal for awhile. But, once Awasu gets busy again, the same thing happens. During these busy times, I can switch to other applications and they behave fine, though depending on what I'm doing I notice that Awasu is keeping the system busy.

So, "background" performance and servicing the UI need some improvements.

Thanks

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:44 am

abwilson wrote:Also, still outstanding is the issue of read/unread (guid vs. url, etc.).

This will be fixed later.

abwilson wrote:However, when Awasu gets busy in the background (typically 80-96% of my CPU, as shown by Task Manager), Awasu is extremely frustrating to use. The GUI essentially just stops.

Add the following to your DEBUG.INI:

Code: Select all

[Debug]
    EnableDbAccessControl=1

If this doesn't help, add the following and then send me Awasu.log:

Code: Select all

[MessageLog]
    DbAccessControl=1

100% CPU utilization in itself is not a bad thing. What with archviving and indexing, Awasu is now doing a huge amount of work when each channel gets updated. However, if you switch to another app, Awasu should relinquish the CPU and the other app should be reasonably responsive i.e. Awasu doesn't hog the CPU. If you're finding that this is not the case, let me know and I'll give you something to try.

abwilson

Postby abwilson » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:19 pm

I don't mind Awasu using however much CPU it needs :-) . The problem is that when it's using a lot, its GUI shuts down and it makes interacting with it impossible: it is unusable at such times. As I stated in my previous posting, it usually doesn't have a major impact on other running programs; however, depending on what I'm doing I can tell that the system is busy -- with Awasu -- in the background.

Anyway, this is what my DEBUG.INI looks like now:

[Debug]
DefaultSqliteBusyTimeout=90
EnableDbAccessControl=1

I'll run it awhile and let you know what happens.

Thanks

Return to “Awasu - Bug Reports”