squeg

Postby squeg » Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:51 pm

Both at home and at work i'm having trouble with old items from one channel getting stuck on the end of another channel. I'm also seeing things I've marked as read come back to life. I'm not sure if these problems are related to synchronization or something else, but I know it's related to the archive database.

For the record, I've been archiving without the last feeds, I don't know if that makes a difference. I'm switching on the feeds to see if i run into the same problem.

I attemted to run the indexing tool to see if it cleared up the problem. It did not. Deleting the archive file, took care of the problem, of course.

-----------------

Oh, might have something here... i just duplicated the problem by manually deleting all of my channels, and then resynchronizing from my FTP site without deleting the archive file. I now have MSDN items attached to my "moore's Lore" channel. This channel was perfectly fine before I deleted it. This leads me to believe that the problem is probably related to synching up with archived data. You'll likely know more than me.

I'll let you know if i noticed anything else related to this.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:26 pm

squeg wrote:Both at home and at work i'm having trouble with old items from one channel getting stuck on the end of another channel. I'm also seeing things I've marked as read come back to life.

This can sometimes under certain circumstances but the more likely reason is given below.

squeg wrote:For the record, I've been archiving without the last feeds, I don't know if that makes a difference. I'm switching on the feeds to see if i run into the same problem.

Archiving *without* feeds is probably the more reliable way to do a sync :-)

squeg wrote:I attemted to run the indexing tool to see if it cleared up the problem. It did not.

The search index and content archive are virtually independent - the search index, of course, references items in the archive, but that's as far as it goes. So rebuilding the search index will not help any corruptions in the archive.

squeg wrote:Oh, might have something here... i just duplicated the problem by manually deleting all of my channels, and then resynchronizing from my FTP site without deleting the archive file. I now have MSDN items attached to my "moore's Lore" channel. This channel was perfectly fine before I deleted it. This leads me to believe that the problem is probably related to synching up with archived data. You'll likely know more than me.

This is guaranteed to mess things up and cause exactly the problems you have described :-)

Information is distributed across the archive and .CHANNEL files and the two must be kept in sync. It is safe to delete the archive.db file (although you will obviously lose all your stored content) and/or the search index (all the files in the Index subdirectory) but deleting the .CHANNEL files and leaving archive.db in place is absolutely not going to work.

I'll send you a tool that lets you look in the database which should help you see what's happening.

squeg

Postby squeg » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:38 pm

Information is distributed across the archive and .CHANNEL files and the two must be kept in sync. It is safe to delete the archive.db file (although you will obviously lose all your stored content) and/or the search index (all the files in the Index subdirectory) but deleting the .CHANNEL files and leaving archive.db in place is absolutely not going to work.

I guess this leads me to ask, how are you handling the archive file during a sync. Are you actually synching the archive somehow? If not, then it seems like that could lead to the same kind of problem that deleting the channels causes. If you are, then it seems like those sync files could get pretty large very quickly. (But since they're much smaller than the archive file, you must be doing something other than a straight copy.)

---

I have a second related question. Deleting the channels/archive seems to have reset pretty much all feed items to unread. However, I'm resetting my channels via a sync file in which all kinds of things should have been marked as read. So is this a problem with the sync system, or am I missunderstanding something?

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:41 am

squeg wrote:I guess this leads me to ask, how are you handling the archive file during a sync. Are you actually synching the archive somehow?

No archived content gets sync'ed - the only stuff that gets into the archive database is those items that are received on that particular machine.

Return to “Awasu - Bug Reports”