Magic Speller

Postby Magic Speller » Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:23 am

Hi, everyone.

This has been a problem ever since I installed 2.0.3, but I haven't gotten around to reporting it until now.

My feeds do not update automatically. Even though they are all set to update at least daily, I have to "Update now" to bring them up to date.

Am I the only one seeing this?
Keith

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:27 am

Magic Speller wrote:This has been a problem ever since I installed 2.0.3, but I haven't gotten around to reporting it until now.

My feeds do not update automatically. Even though they are all set to update at least daily, I have to "Update now" to bring them up to date.

Am I the only one seeing this?

How long has this been happening? A few people have reported something like this but updates apparently automagically started up again later. I'm at a loss to explain why :-)

If you zip up your installation directory and send it to me, I'll take a look.

Magic Speller

Postby Magic Speller » Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:26 pm

I don't remember, but it's been a while. Now that you mention it, I do remember the earlier discussion.

The zipped file will be on its way shortly.
Keith

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:25 am

Thanks for sending your installation through.

I notice you have "Auto-detect an Internet connection" turned on. When I wrote that bit of code, it turned out to be a remarkably difficult thing to determine accurately.

A giveaway that this is probably what's causing the problem is seeing the following message in the Activity Log:
<pre>
Not connected to the Internet. Channel updates have been suspended.
</pre>
This gets issued every 5 minutes if Awasu is not connected to the net.Or thinks it's not connected to the net :-) :roll:

Turn this option off and your channels should start updating properly.

BTW, if anyone knows how to reliably check for a connection, please let me know! I'm currently using RasGetConnectStatus().

abwilson

Postby abwilson » Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:56 pm

This might be of use:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/defau ... dstate.asp

(An example using it is here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/comp ... ffline.asp)

And finally, one more:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/defau ... nality.asp

I hope at least one of these pans out...

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:09 am

Thanks for these. When I was writing the code, I found a lot of stuff on the net saying that some of the stadnard API calls were unreliable (although I can't remember if these were the ones). and there was a lot of hacking going on to get around these problems.

The offline browsing article will definitely be very handy though - we'll be adding something to Awasu relating to this pretty soon.

Thanks

Magic Speller

Postby Magic Speller » Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:46 am

support wrote:Thanks for sending your installation through.

I notice you have "Auto-detect an Internet connection" turned on. When I wrote that bit of code, it turned out to be a remarkably difficult thing to determine accurately.

A giveaway that this is probably what's causing the problem is seeing the following message in the Activity Log:
<pre>
Not connected to the Internet. Channel updates have been suspended.
</pre>
This gets issued every 5 minutes if Awasu is not connected to the net.Or thinks it's not connected to the net :-) :roll:

It does appear that this was the problem. Thanks for tracking it down. I guess after I installed the new version, I must have gone through the options, seen "Auto-detect an Internet connection", and thought, "That would be a good thing to enable", and then forgot that I had done it.

I apologize for not providing a better report. I had been seeing the Activity Log messages, but forgot to mention that.... :oops:
Keith

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:17 am

Magic Speller wrote:It does appear that this was the problem. Thanks for tracking it down. I guess after I installed the new version, I must have gone through the options, seen "Auto-detect an Internet connection", and thought, "That would be a good thing to enable", and then forgot that I had done it.

No worries. I'm going to try out some of Allan's suggestions so hopefully this switch might soon start working the way it's supposed to :-)

Return to “Awasu - Bug Reports”