ko

Postby ko » Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:14 am

Afternoon,

I downloaded Beta 2.0.3 yesterday after deciding to upgrade from 1.2... was a bit of a shock having to download the previous 2.0 versions including a beta which didn't work. Meant i had to do the update all (thank you for that command) just to get any of my channels back and running again.

Anyway, i digress, the main issue with the new ui is that the tab order changes (seemingly at random) when i click on different tabs. An example might make it clearer: i have three tabs open at the moment, all looking at a page of content (rather than the base feed page. If i click quickly between them, the tabs change order so that the if i click on a new tabl, the previous one i have been looking at swaps tabs with the one i'm trying to get to and i still see the old tab. To reproduce this behaviour when testing, i have to be clicking quickly but i have observed it to also happen in normal operation.

my pc is a 1.8Ghz pentium with 1Gb ram running W2k. I do have a number of applications open, but nothing is doing any heavy processing.

Thanks

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:53 am

ko wrote:I downloaded Beta 2.0.3 yesterday after deciding to upgrade from 1.2... was a bit of a shock having to download the previous 2.0 versions including a beta which didn't work.

The beta had expired - not quite the same thing :-)

Yes, we know it's a bit of a pain having to download each successive beta but there are reasons for that...

ko wrote:Anyway, i digress, the main issue with the new ui is that the tab order changes (seemingly at random) when i click on different tabs. An example might make it clearer: i have three tabs open at the moment, all looking at a page of content (rather than the base feed page. If i click quickly between them, the tabs change order so that the if i click on a new tabl, the previous one i have been looking at swaps tabs with the one i'm trying to get to and i still see the old tab. To reproduce this behaviour when testing, i have to be clicking quickly but i have observed it to also happen in normal operation.

This is not a bug but in fact a feature :-) of the upgraded GUI toolkit we're using. What's happening is that you can drag these tabs around to change the window order but unfortunately, it's a bit sensitive and thinks that quick clicking amongst the tabs is dragging.

You can disable this by creating a DEBUG.INI file in your user's home directory that contains this:

Code: Select all

[Debug]
DisableMdiTabSwap=1

This requires a restart of Awasu.

ko

Postby ko » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:42 am

support wrote:
ko wrote:I downloaded Beta 2.0.3 yesterday after deciding to upgrade from 1.2... was a bit of a shock having to download the previous 2.0 versions including a beta which didn't work.

The beta had expired - not quite the same thing :-)

Yes, we know it's a bit of a pain having to download each successive beta but there are reasons for that...

Sorry, meant it expired... same thing in my mind, same result at least. I can understand the beta's expiring... my bad wording.

support wrote:This is not a bug but in fact a feature :-) of the upgraded GUI toolkit we're using. What's happening is that you can drag these tabs around to change the window order but unfortunately, it's a bit sensitive and thinks that quick clicking amongst the tabs is dragging.

You can disable this by creating a DEBUG.INI file in your user's home directory that contains this:

Love the use of the word "feature" there... :) ok, will create the file on monday and let you know then. Thanks for the speedy response.

squeg

Postby squeg » Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:31 pm

In my experience, the tab switching is only a problem when awasu gets bogged down with other things. When it (or perhaps the CPU in general) is very busy, clicking on a tab, will often cause it to jump position. But under normal circumstances, they only move if I drag them.

I usually appreciate the ability to reorder tabs, but as the tab interface has to be scrolled all the time rather than compressing when a large number of items are on it, It seems less useful.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:58 am

Just as a general note, there is a memory hit of something like 10Mb (IIRC) for every window open within Awasu - IE is such a hog! - so it's not a bad idea to try and keep the number down :-)

If I have a lot of windows open, I prefer to use the Windows menu. I just prefer working vertically :-)

ko

Postby ko » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:20 am

squeg wrote:In my experience, the tab switching is only a problem when awasu gets bogged down with other things. When it (or perhaps the CPU in general) is very busy, clicking on a tab, will often cause it to jump position. But under normal circumstances, they only move if I drag them.

I do normally have about 20+ windows open on this machine at the one time so cpu time may be the issue, however the cpu is normally quite idle... oh well, the debug file worked and i'm happy with it now.

Thanks

Return to “Awasu - Bug Reports”