Matt

Postby Matt » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:18 am

I've got a feed that i'm only showing unread messages on. However, it always shows up as (+) as the feed count, but shows no unread messages.

I've double checked that it doesn't have any old unread items (its showing items from the last year), and i've even removed the 'unread only' filter to check that there are no unread items.

If i use the 'mark all as read', the '(+)' dissapears, but as soon as a new item exists in the feed, it goes back to having the '(+)'.

This is a feed that has AllowEmptyFeeds=1 set.

Any ideas?

I vaguely recall that you were planning on rewriting the channels list - something like outlook would be great, with the number next to text, and always showing the unread count, rather than stopping at 20.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:08 pm

Matt wrote:I've got a feed that i'm only showing unread messages on. However, it always shows up as (+) as the feed count, but shows no unread messages.

What version are you running?

Matt wrote:This is a feed that has AllowEmptyFeeds=1 set.

This won't be making any difference.

Matt wrote:I vaguely recall that you were planning on rewriting the channels list - something like outlook would be great, with the number next to text, and always showing the unread count, rather than stopping at 20.

Yep, as soon as I've finished playing Half Life :-) To be honest, I've never been a big fan of unread item counts. To me, it doesn't really make much difference if I have 20 unread items or 71.

Unread item counts are more relevant for RSS readers that work like email clients where you look at only one item at a time. Because Awasu uses a newspaper-style presentation for feed items, which items are new is much more important than which ones are unread. This is because a newspaper-style presentation lets you skim content very quickly rather than forcing you to "read" each item individually.

Matt

Postby Matt » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:40 am

I'm using the latest and greatest version, "Awasu Advanced Edition 2.1".

As for the unread item counts - I quite like them, but I s'pose each person has their preferences. I use a few (probably most) of my feeds effectively as a mail reader, and i only mark it as read if i have read it. Most of the time if i dont have time to read it there and then, i'll leave it as unread, or if i dont want to read it, mark it as read. To me, its always new, until i've read it.

Matt

Postby Matt » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:31 pm

Just something else i noticed about it:

When its got the (+) there with no unread items, it doesn't show the "showing 0 of x messages". But, if i right click on the channel, and go "mark all as read", it then shows that message.

Dont know if this helps at all.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:28 am

Matt wrote:When its got the (+) there with no unread items

No unread items? You get the (+) if there are 20 or more unread messages. This doesn't make sense. Awasu sometimes gets confused about this unread item count but it happens rarely and I'm trying to figure out why.

Matt

Postby Matt » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:32 am

It happens very often for me (on this one particular feed). Right now, i have one unread item, and its showing the (+).

I'll be happy to do some testing/investigating/debugging for you if you'd like.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:47 am

Matt wrote:It happens very often for me (on this one particular feed). Right now, i have one unread item, and its showing the (+).

I haven't got time to confirm this right now but IIRC, one thing that can sometimes happen is that you've got unread items outside of what's currently being shown e.g. the 11th item is unread but the channel is configured to show only the last 10.

Matt

Postby Matt » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:51 am

support wrote:I haven't got time to confirm this right now but IIRC, one thing that can sometimes happen is that you've got unread items outside of what's currently being shown e.g. the 11th item is unread but the channel is configured to show only the last 10.

Had thought of that (and forgotten to mention it here). I changed the "show the last" to "10 years", and it still only showed the 1 unread item, and the '(+)'.

This really isn't a high priority issue, so if you want to delay the bug fix, feel free.

Return to “Awasu - Bug Reports”