gschoepp

Postby gschoepp » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:04 pm

I am getting some undesired results in a search channel. My search query is: (“plant closing”~3) OR (“plant closure”~3) and I am getting results on just the word "plant" in the headline/excerpt. No mention of closing or closure anywhere. I even checked the full web page content and didn't find it there either (though I do not believe Awasu is searching that).

Any thoughts? Is there something wrong with my search query? I'm trying to select feed items with the word plant and closing or closure within three words.

Thanks!

gs

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:52 am

Can you please send me:

- the URL of the feed the result is coming from
- the URL of the item that is incorrectly being returned
- a copy of your <tt>CONFIG.INI</tt> file

and I'll take a look at it.

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:58 am

Just to be sure, you did check the "Advanced syntax" check box when you created the search channel, right?

Also, I noticed your slanted quotation marks in your post. In your actual Awasu query, are your quotes "straight" or “slanted”? And Taka would this make a difference?

Microsoft Word has a AutoCorrect feature that will automatically change "straight" quotes to “smart quotes”. So copying and pasting text from Word into other applications can cause problems that are hard for the human eye to detect. I've dealt with this in my web apps enough that my eyes are trained to spot differences in quotes and apostrophes.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:16 am

kevotheclone wrote:Also, I noticed your slanted quotation marks in your post. In your actual Awasu query, are your quotes "straight" or “slanted”? And Taka would this make a difference?

Almost certainly :-) although I don't know if it would have the effect he's describing. But once I get the info from him, I can take closer look at what's happening.

gschoepp

Postby gschoepp » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:50 pm

I created a fresh search query and hand-entered the search query string and BAM! it works. I was using Word as a repository for my query descriptions and strings for reference, and this appears to have created the issue.

For future knowledge - as I went about collecting the requested info, I was unable to located the config.ini file either in the Awasu program files directory or the AppData Awasu directories. Where does that bugger hide?

Thank you to everyone for helping resolve this!

gs

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:30 pm

You can turn off the automatic correction of regular quotes to "smart quotes" (and other annoyances) in Word 97-2003 (not sure about 2007) by selecting "AutoCorrect options..." from the "Tools" menu. Once in the AutoCorrect dialog box deselect the various items from the "AutoCorrect" and "AutoFormat as you type" tabs.

You can even record a macro to disable these AutoCorrect items and record another macro to enable these AutoCorrect items. So you can quickly toggle Word from a fancier word processor to more of simple word processor as needed just by running the appropriate macro.

Of course, this won't change the existing "smart quotes" back to regular quotes, you'll have to do a find and replace operation to do that.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:26 pm

gschoepp wrote:I was unable to located the config.ini file either in the Awasu program files directory or the AppData Awasu directories. Where does that bugger hide?

The page I linked to in the first reply describes where to find this file; it depends on when you first started using Awasu and what OS you're using. Windows helpfully hides some of the directories by default so you have to type them in yourself into the address bar :|

zakky

Postby zakky » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:23 pm

Hi everybody,

With regards to the initial problem mentioned in this thread, I do experience AT TIMES the same issue.

Say I am searching for "FIRSTNAME LASTNAME" it will also AT TIMES return items that only contain FIRSTNAME. please note that it will never find items that include only LASTNAME.

I am aware that the advanced syntax has to be active.

My best guess so far is that if you forget to activate advanced syntax when you first set up your search channel and you then later realize you forgot it and activate it later on through the properties menu it does not work correctly, i.e. as described above. if you activate it from the very beginning i haven't experienced this issue. I have someone working for me who uses awasu now on a daily basis and she doesn't remember whether it was activated from the beginning.

what i can safely say that once it does not work properly late-activating won't solve the issue, you have to recreate the search channel.

would be grateful if you could investigate this.

btw: funny to see that gschoepp seems to experience all the problems i do as well, the one with the search channel renaming i had as well, i only now realized you published 2.4.1. hope the issue is solved, it really was a pain when search channel names reset themselves.

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:05 am

I don't have the answer, that's for sure; but here's some simple test results.

I created two Search Channels both searching for FIRSTNAME and LASTNAME (and I mean that quite literally).
On one Search Channel I pre-clicked "Advanced syntax" and on the other Channel I didn't. Then I compare the two Channel Files using open source directory/file compare program WinMerge.

There are a few different lines such as "ChannelGuid", "LocalChannelId" and several lines whose data is a timestamp. The "EscapeSpecialChars" line is the key line; it's got a value of "1" in one Channel file and "0" in the other.

Opening the Channel Properties of either Channel and toggling the "Advanced syntax" setting seems to toggle the value of the "EscapeSpecialChars" line and only the "EscapeSpecialChars" line.

So in my 2.4.1 Professional installation, everything seems to be working as it should; but I admit this is not a real world test on new-feed-item Search Channel results so maybe there's something else at play. :?

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:16 pm

zakky wrote:My best guess so far is that if you forget to activate advanced syntax when you first set up your search channel and you then later realize you forgot it and activate it later on through the properties menu it does not work correctly

No, this shouldn't be the case. I've managed to get it working as expected although it might be dependent on the state of your search index. You could try re-building it, using the <tt>admin.exe</tt> tool, although this might take some time.

If you're just searching for two separate words, it shouldn't make any difference if <i>advanced syntax</i> is on or off since the search engine will always default to a boolean OR, unless your search string is in quotes...?

zakky wrote:i only now realized you published 2.4.1. hope the issue is solved, it really was a pain when search channel names reset themselves.

Yes, this problem was fixed in that release.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:16 pm

support wrote:
zakky wrote:My best guess so far is that if you forget to activate advanced syntax when you first set up your search channel and you then later realize you forgot it and activate it later on through the properties menu it does not work correctly

No, this shouldn't be the case. I've managed to get it working as expected although it might be dependent on the state of your search index. You could try re-building it, using the <tt>admin.exe</tt> tool, although this might take some time.

If you're just searching for two separate words, it shouldn't make any difference if <i>advanced syntax</i> is on or off since the search engine will always default to a boolean OR, unless your search string is in quotes...?

BTW, you should use Awasu's search feature if you're going to experiment with changing settings rather than a search channel since the latter will be affected by Awasu's tracking of what constitutes a new result in the search feed.

zakky wrote:i only now realized you published 2.4.1. hope the issue is solved, it really was a pain when search channel names reset themselves.

Yes, this problem was fixed in that release.

Return to “Awasu - Bug Reports”