gschoepp

Postby gschoepp » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:38 pm

6 weeks into some industrial strength application of Awasu here (at least by our standards), and on the whole continue to be impressed by the strength of the tool and its ability to do what we need done!

FWIW, we're pulling 1200 or so feeds and digesting them through several dozen search channels and outputting those through a channel hook. The volume is starting to slow things down, but we're creating a number of approaches to keep it zipping along.

Have been encountering an easily correctable but *incredibly* annoying issue with search channels. As we tune for performance or change search strings, the next time the search channel updates, it changes the name of the channel to be "Search results: <search>" as opposed to its previous name ("Topic XYZ"). When there are a few dozen search channels and you have to go correct them all, it's really painful. Am I missing something or doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for the community's insight!

-gs

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:21 pm

gschoepp wrote:6 weeks into some industrial strength application of Awasu here (at least by our standards), and on the whole continue to be impressed by the strength of the tool and its ability to do what we need done!

Thanks for the kind words :-)

gschoepp wrote:As we tune for performance or change search strings, the next time the search channel updates, it changes the name of the channel to be "Search results: <search>" as opposed to its previous name ("Topic XYZ"). When there are a few dozen search channels and you have to go correct them all, it's really painful. Am I missing something or doing something wrong?

Way ahead of you, this has already been fixed in the newly-released 2.4.1.alpha1 :cool: The bug was extremely subtle and tricky to fix but I think it will work. Let us know :-)

If you are running lots of search channels, I'm guessing you're not opening a lot of them and so each one has an ever-burgeoning list of new items (defined as "items received since you last opened the channel"). This release also contains something that will significantly speed Awasu up when it comes to handling these channels.

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:37 am

To paraphrase Chris Rock:
Good lawd that's a lotta feeds!

Hey gschoepp, I remember you from your previous post where you were documenting your search criteria in a Word document and got tripped up by Word "smart quotes". Your manual task of documenting your Search Channels inspired me to create an Awasu Application Plugin that examines your .CHANNEL files and produces Search Channel documentation for you. Technically this is still in the "rough draft" stage, but it shouldn't be too hard to complete.

Search Channel Report
For the Search Channel Report I would display all Search Channels and would display the Channel's Name, Description and the Search Query. I might even try to explain the Search Query in simplified English. Using your previous post as an example; I'd display your raw query ("plant closing"~3) OR ("plant closure"~3) and also display an English explanation such as "find 'plant' and 'closing' within 3 words of each other, or find 'plant' and 'closure' within 3 words of each other". I've done this kind of thing before, but I didn't have some of Awasu's advanced search features such as Boost Factor or Proximity Search to deal with and I'm writing these Plugins in Python and I'm not a Python expert, so progress is a little sloooooooooooooooooow. Other Search Channel attributes such as Max Search Results, Score Cutoff, Search Locations (Title, Description, URL) and how frequently the Channel is set to update could also be displayed.

This would help make your Awasu Search Channel's self-documenting, instead of having to maintain seperate documentation. Whenever you update a Search Channel, just re-run the Search Channel Report Application Plugin, and your documention will be updated too.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:00 pm

kevotheclone wrote:Your manual task of documenting your Search Channels inspired me to create an Awasu Application Plugin that examines your .CHANNEL files and produces Search Channel documentation for you.

:clap:

kevotheclone wrote:but it shouldn't be too hard to complete.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've ever said that... :roll:

gschoepp

Postby gschoepp » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:40 pm

The report you're describing would definitely be helpful! The documentation I am maintaining is mostly for the benefit of others, though most of them can easily interpret the actual queries. Some of the syntax like fuzzy matching and the like is a little more cryptic for the SQL-centric crowd, though.

Heading over to general to seek some direction on relocating this beast of an installation we have now!

Thanks.

gs

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:44 am

Good to hear back from you gschoepp.
I'll try to post the Python source code for the "rough draft" version of the "Awasu Search Channel Report" this week. It won't have the English-like explanation of the queries right now, but you can get an idea of what it'll produce and you can give me some ideas to improve it.

I'm having problems with my primary PC, so unfortunately that's monopolizing my time right now.

Do have Python installed on the "…PC in an undisclosed location…" :wink:, so that you'd be able to test "Awasu Search Channel Report" from the Python source code?

Return to “Awasu - Bug Reports”