View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:50 pm
Posts: 9
Post Outputing Individual Channels
I have tried out the CombineFeeds plugin (which is great!). This may simplify my need to use reports to create multiple feeds. I was also thinking that I might be able to avoid the need to create reports to output a combined channel as an HTML file (which could be accessed thru a web app server, like Tomcat) and instead just turn the combined channel into an html file directly. There is a way to download feeds for offline access, but this seems different.

Is there any way to take a channel and say: save this channel as file xxxxxx.html in location y, without using a report?

Also, the SendMail hook is wonderful. Is there any way to set the schedule when emails go out, or does it happen on the same schedule as when the underlying channel gets updated? It would be nice to be able to set a schedule for these emails (say, once per day), and also set the time (hour and minute) when these go out. Is that possible now? If not, I know you can schedule when reports go out and you can email the reports. is there any way to set the time for the report too?


Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:51 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 8:48 am
Posts: 2896
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Post Re: Outputing Individual Channels
msalamon wrote:
There is a way to download feeds for offline access, but this seems different.

That's correct, this downloads individual feed items so that they can be read even when you're offline.

msalamon wrote:
Is there any way to take a channel and say: save this channel as file xxxxxx.html in location y, without using a report?

A copy of the last feed received for each channel is kept in each user's <tt>Logs</tt> sub-directory, so you could possibly run a XSL (or some other processor) over those to generate something.

But an early cut of a new version of Awasu has just gone out to the testers that let channel pages and reports be served up via the API e.g. you just open http://127.0.0.1:2604/reports/get?id=12345 in your browser to run a report and get the results back. Very cool :cool:

msalamon wrote:
Is there any way to set the schedule when emails go out, or does it happen on the same schedule as when the underlying channel gets updated?

No, it's just a standard hook that gets called each time a channel updates and receives at least one new item. However...

msalamon wrote:
It would be nice to be able to set a schedule for these emails (say, once per day), and also set the time (hour and minute) when these go out.

Probably the best way to do this in the context of what you guys are trying to do is to write a custom hook, similar to <tt>SendEmail</tt>, that stores the information in a database (or you could use the <tt>MySQL</tt> hook). Then you regularly run a process that sweeps over the database and sends out your emails. You could even do this as an Awasu channel - it does the main bit of work and then reports its results as a feed that you can monitor in Awasu!:clap:

msalamon wrote:
is there any way to set the time for the report too?

This was added in 2.4.1.


Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:35 am
Profile WWW

Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:50 pm
Posts: 9
Post Running Reports at Certain Times
How can you set reports to run at a certain time? I only see the ability to automatically run the report at a given interval (hourly, daily, etc.), and separately the ability to email. But I don't see the ability to run, say, at 3:16pm every day.


Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:32 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 8:48 am
Posts: 2896
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Post Re: Running Reports at Certain Times
msalamon wrote:
How can you set reports to run at a certain time? I only see the ability to automatically run the report at a given interval (hourly, daily, etc.), and separately the ability to email. But I don't see the ability to run, say, at 3:16pm every day.

This was added in 2.4.1, the trial version you're running is 2.4. If you want to trial 2.4.1, send me an email...


Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:05 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ] 

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron