prazim

Postby prazim » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:45 am

Taka,
I was thrilled to discover this plug in exists however the python site isn't loading so one can't download their software. I even tried accessing the software through a cache of their page and the server isn't responding.
Sue

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:48 am

sue wrote:I was thrilled to discover this plug in exists however the python site isn't loading so one can't download their software. I even tried accessing the software through a cache of their page and the server isn't responding.

I was going to do this today anyway but you beat me to it :roll: I've included a compiled version of the plugin in the release ZIP so get it again and select the .EXE file in the Channel Wizard instead of the .PY script.

prazim

Postby prazim » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:24 am

Thanks Taka!
I was so excited to see it was available I wanted to get it right away!
Sue

prazim

Postby prazim » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:34 am

Taka,
I'm getting an error with the py script, so it isn't working...
Sue

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:50 am

sue wrote:I'm getting an error with the py script, so it isn't working...

You need to select the EXE, not the PY script.

Otherwise my psychic powers must be failing me :roll: What's the error?

prazim

Postby prazim » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:03 am

ya, got that part, I selected the exe. I says it can't determine the feed type (it is showing the exe as the url then it gives this error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "FilterFeedItems.py", line 100, in ?
isMatch = isFeedItemMatched( feedItem["description"] , feedItemRegExps )
File "feedparser.pyc", line 170, in __getitem__
KeyError: 'description'

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:15 am

sue wrote:I says it can't determine the feed type

What is the URL you're trying to monitor and the other settings you've got on the channel?

prazim

Postby prazim » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:39 am

this is the url: http://del.icio.us/rss/subscriptions/prazim
all settings are default both conditions set to false. By the way, it would be ideal if we could choose the false/true conditions for each term...
:))

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:02 am

An updated ZIP file is now available.

sue wrote:By the way, it would be ideal if we could choose the false/true conditions for each term...

The most common use cases are these:<ul><li>the user wants to only see certain items from the feed and exclude everything else<li>the user wants to exclude some items from the feed but see everything else</ul>There's in fact no point in being able to specify regular expressions to both include *and* exclude items because you run into the question of what to do with items that are neither explicitly included nor excluded.

Lets say you want to include all items that have A and exclude all items that have B. What do you do with an item that has neither A nor B in it? If you include it, then you've effectively got the same thing as a single rule that says "exclude everything that has B in it". If you exclude it, then you have the same as a single rule that says "include everything that has A in it."

prazim

Postby prazim » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:14 am

Thank you Taka. There's a glitch with the plug in. In the plain feed it shows the string author: and the id of the person who posted it. The filtered feed is missing that text for every item, and the filter isn't filtering out feeds that include the term prazim.

Sorry to have to say...

Sue

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:45 am

sue wrote:In the plain feed it shows the string author: and the id of the person who posted it. The filtered feed is missing that text for every item

If you look at the bottom of the wiki page, you will see a comment that says that it's a "work in progress". This is one of the consequences of that :-)

The plugin downloads the feed, figures out which items it should include and then generates another feed with just those items in it. However, it doesn't make an exact copy of the original feed items, just the title, description and URL. The item author is one of the things that gets dropped which is why you're seeing it in the original feed but not the one from the plugin.

It's probably not too hard to upgrade the plugin to generate an exact copy of the original feed item but it would involve a bit of faffing around and I don't have the time right now. I was kinda hoping someone else might pick up the ball and run with it a bit (hint, hint)...

sue wrote:the filter isn't filtering out feeds that include the term prazim

Works for me. You have to set <i>Include matching feed items</i> to <tt>false</tt> (that is, any matching feed items will be excluded) and <i>RegExp-1</i> to <tt>prazim</tt>.

prazim

Postby prazim » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:15 pm

Hi Taka,
Well, I'm not a programmer or I would certainly pitch in. It can't filter out feed items from prazim becuase the part of the post that includes that term is not part of the filtered feed, as you described above.
Sue

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:56 am

sue wrote:It can't filter out feed items from prazim becuase the part of the post that includes that term is not part of the filtered feed, as you described above.

Prazim's name is still in the item descriptions and it's definitely getting filtered out for me.

Make sure you have the plugin configured as I said above. Send me the .CHANNEL file if you really can't get it going (it will probably be called FilterFeedItems_py.channel, or something similar).

prazim

Postby prazim » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:33 am

Hi Taka,
Just to be clear, I don't want it to just filter out the word, but the item that contains that word. I'll send you the channel file as all my posts are there. I just checked. Bib as life.
Sue

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:23 am

sue wrote:I don't want it to just filter out the word, but the item that contains that word.

Yep, that's what it does.

sue wrote:I'll send you the channel file as all my posts are there.

Your .CHANNEL file looks fine and works OK for me.

However, it just occurred to me what you might be seeing. This plugin modifies the incoming feed and removes any posts that contain the words you specified. This means that any feed items that already made it into Awasu will still appear. Try deleting the channel and re-creating it.

Awasu shows whatever is in the archive database, this plugin works by making sure that certain posts never make make into there. When we add filtering support later, it will work a little differently. Everything will be added to the archive database but you will be able to filter dynamically, much the way it works now when you switch between showing all feed items, only unread ones, only new ones. It's a difference between filtering what gets into the system and filtering what gets shown.

Return to “Awasu - Extensions”