RiskiOne

Postby RiskiOne » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:43 am

I gotta say that the purchase ot the Advanced Edition was the smartest thing I've done in a while :D It seems that I always look for the RSS feeds on my daily route of sites I visit...never even understood how easy this makes ones daily info. Now all I gotta do is get more educated :roll:

My question has to do with Alan Wilson's new plugin, Combine Feeds. This is going to really shorten my list of channels after I gets it fingered out :oops: Got it installed and I even took a peek. Can I add existing Channels with this plugin or would it be best to start from scratch?

Here's my example:
I have subscribed to 3 feeds from Lockergnome: Windows Fanatics, IT Professionals and Tech News.

I would like to combine these 3 into 1 titled Lockergnome. I get to the Plugins window and then get baffled with the terminologies within the Channels plugin parameters:

Especially the lines reading Link, MaxItemsPerFeed and Show Feed Titles.

Any further guidance will be appreciated 8)

abwilson

Postby abwilson » Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:40 am

Let's see if I can help...

"Link" is an optional URL you can associate with the new composite channel. You can just leave it blank or you might choose to fill in the Website URL of one of the individual feeds; this will allow you to visit that URL easily by clicking on the link/title in Awasu's channel output display.

MaxItemsPerFeed controls how many news items from each individual feed are copied into the new composite feed. For example, if you list three URLs to make part of the new feed and set MaxItemsPerFeed to, say, 10 (and there are at least 10 items in each of your three feeds), there will be 30 items total in your new composite feed.

Since the plug-in combines multiple feeds into a single feed, setting ShowFeedTitles to true will include each individual feed's title with each of its item's titles, allowing you to see easily where each item came from. If you think the extra-long titles that result are too cumbersome, set this value to false.

While you can combine radically different feeds into one, when I created the plug-in I assumed most people would group related channels together, e.g., several channels about airplanes, hang gliding, photography, or whatever. In such a case "Jumbo Jets" might consolidate feeds from Boeing and Airbus.

Allan

RiskiOne

Postby RiskiOne » Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:49 am

That's what I said before...Awasu is great cause info is first hand. Nothing is watered down...it's straight from the man. :lol:

Thanks for the clarification on those few items Allan. I'll give it a try and see what I can come up with.

I like that idea also for your plugin...group the sites by the type of info available on the sites. Sounds like a good concept...

now off for my trial run.

abwilson

Postby abwilson » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:00 am

Best of luck!

Please let us know how it goes.

Return to “Awasu - Extensions”