View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

Post Persistent data storage (and synchronization)
Is there a way to handle persistent data storage for channel plugins that would also be included in synchronization? The method I've mostly used for my plugins - i.e. storing the data in an INI file much like the URL monitor script does - doesn't work since the INI file is not included in the synchronization. I tried storing the INI file in the Users\userid\Channels directory but it still doesn't get included.

Is it possible to modify the plugin request INI file? It seems to be in a temporary directory so I'm unsure whether changes to it would be propagated back to the .channel file.

This isn't really a big issue so I'd rather not set up a remote database to handle the data so the channel plugin could fetch it. Basically the only problem with the current setup is that the two computers I synchronize back and forth between might update the channels at different times (and the scripts might run longer on one computer than the other), and thus I sometimes see the same items twice.

This message might fit the feature request forum better, but undoubtedly Awasu already has this covered - everything seems to be. :-) 2.0.1 might fit the bill exactly, I just haven't quite yet upgraded to it from 2.0.

Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:38 am
Profile ICQ
Site Admin

Post Re: Persistent data storage (and synchronization)
topeju wrote:
Is it possible to modify the plugin request INI file? It seems to be in a temporary directory so I'm unsure whether changes to it would be propagated back to the .channel file.

I'm out of town right now and without looking at the code, I can't give you a definitive answer but IIRC, there is a mechanism for propogating settings back into the main .CHANNEL file. So the answer is "maybe" :-) - I'll get back to you in a few days with a better answer.

topeju wrote:
2.0.1 might fit the bill exactly, I just haven't quite yet upgraded to it from 2.0.

Yes, 2.0.1 archives content but none of it gets synchronized so it probably won't be of much help to you.

I'll see if I can come up with something for you.

Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:35 am
Profile WWW

support wrote:
I'm out of town right now and without looking at the code, I can't give you a definitive answer but IIRC, there is a mechanism for propogating settings back into the main .CHANNEL file. So the answer is "maybe" :-) - I'll get back to you in a few days with a better answer.

Encouraged by this, I did a quick test. If the data is stored in the .channel file under its own section, it does not get stored in the temporary file, and thus the script cannot see them. Likewise for storing the data in the Channel Parameters section but under unknown keys (i.e. keys not defined in the .plugin file). If I used a defined channel parameter, the data would at least end up in the temp file, but as this method would be somewhat impractical for my channel plugin, I did not try this so I don't know if the data would be propagated back to the .channel file.

Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:03 am
Profile ICQ
Site Admin

OK, having had a look at the code, there doesn't seem to be a way for a plugin to modify it's parent .CHANNEL file. I definitely remember wanting plugins to have this ability so maybe I took it out at some point :oops:

However, I've added something for the next release where arbitrary config file sections will get included in sync's - just give the section a name of the form <i>USER: xxx</i> where xxx is an arbitrary string. These can be in channel config files (.CHANNEL) or the global CONFIG.INI.

Let us know if this is enough for what you want to do or if there's something else you need.

Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:55 am
Profile WWW
support wrote:
However, I've added something for the next release where arbitrary config file sections will get included in sync's - just give the section a name of the form <i>USER: xxx</i> where xxx is an arbitrary string. These can be in channel config files (.CHANNEL) or the global CONFIG.INI.

That certainly sounds sufficient for me.

Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:21 am

Anonymous wrote:
That certainly sounds sufficient for me.

Oops, I wasn't logged on.

Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:22 am
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]