dse

Postby dse » Mon May 12, 2008 7:13 pm

Awasu is the first RSS reader I found being capable of accepting real programming between received RSS raw material and displaying (plus other output like file listing etc.). However there are some things unclear for me. Here is what I would like to do (for a start, I will expand a lot later):

1. Create a combined pool for newspaper channels: browsable, only showing unread items, collecting RSS url from (many) different publishers

2. Create a second pool for technical fair events: same as above but from fair organizers

3. Create a third pool for technical reading: same as above but from tech publishers and companies

4. Create a (programmable) filter which excludes everything I don’t want to have in available RSS tags can be done in vbs I think.

5. Make the output available as input for a new combined pool, which can again be processed and combined

example:

drop if “money” is not in title and “belgië” is in title or “Deutschland” is in title

The result then would be a neat presentation of everything I really want to see with a “one time” programming effort for collecting an filtering.

Is this possible? How do I proceed?

User avatar
support
Site Admin
Posts: 3021
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Postby support » Mon May 12, 2008 7:36 pm

dse wrote:1. Create a combined pool for newspaper channels: browsable, only showing unread items, collecting RSS url from (many) different publishers

2. Create a second pool for technical fair events: same as above but from fair organizers

3. Create a third pool for technical reading: same as above but from tech publishers and companies

In the screenshots you sent me, you were using the CombineFeeds channel plugin and while this can work, it might not be the best way to do what I suspect you want.

I'm guessing what you actually want is a list of (unread) items, collected from a bunch of different feeds, which you can then publish on a web site or email to someone (at least, this is what most people want :-)). The easiest way to do this is using channel reports.

Just create a folder for each group of channels (e.g. one for newspapers, one for fair events, one for technical reading) and then create a report that is generated from the channels in each of these. The latest alpha (2.3.4.alpha1) contains a bunch of new features to make this kind of thing much easier (e.g. channel reports can work directly from a folder instead of you having to create an intermediary channel filter) but I would recommend you stick with 2.3.3 for the moment. This means you have to create a channel filter for each of your reports that picks out the channels you want to include. Reports can also be configured to only include unread items.

dse wrote:4. Create a (programmable) filter which excludes everything I don’t want to have in available RSS tags can be done in vbs I think.

There is a plugin channel that does this kind of thing.

dse wrote:5. Make the output available as input for a new combined pool, which can again be processed and combined

If you use channel reports, you can write a new template that generates an RSS feed. Create a new channel report that uses this template, set up a filter that picks out the channels you want to include and then every time you run the report, it will generate an RSS feed that you can then send off to somewhere else. Or if you end up using the CombineFeeds plugin, every Awasu channel saves a copy of it's last feed in the <tt>Logs</tt> sub-directory so you can just grab it from there.

dse wrote:drop if “money” is not in title and “belgië” is in title or “Deutschland” is in title

If you just want to highlight certain items in the UI, you can use search agents or feed item filters. Otherwise, you can use the FilterFeedItems plugin mentioned above.


Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests