GB

Postby GB » Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:20 pm

I've got a couple of RSS feeds that for some reason haven't been working for the last couple of days. I know that they will eventually come back online, but in the meantime, everytime Awasu checks the feeds (every hour!) I get error notification balloons telling me that there was a problem.

I have turned off the Notification Balloons in the Options tab but these error balloons don't appear to be respond to that setting.

These balloons take up a fair amount of screen real estate and though they eventually go away after what seems like forever, I usually end up clicking on them to get rid of them sooner which then makes Awasu the active application. That means that after clicking on both error balloons, I need to find and click back on my original application to get back to what I was doing before I was so rudely interrupted by Awasu. Bad Awasu, bad girl! :D

I think that if I say that I don't want Notification Balloons, I shouldn't see any at all. Maybe you could turn the channel name in the channel list red instead so that I know there was an error. I know that I can get the info from the logs window as well, but I was trying to think of a proactive way (besides balloons) to let the user know there was a problem getting the feed.

Thanks again for listening! You guys are great!

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:30 pm

GB wrote:I know that they will eventually come back online, but in the meantime, everytime Awasu checks the feeds (every hour!) I get error notification balloons telling me that there was a problem.

Once an hour is not so bad, is it?

GB wrote:I have turned off the Notification Balloons in the Options tab but these error balloons don't appear to be respond to that setting.

That's correct. If you get 3 errors in a row, it will stop showing error balloons. It is possible to change this figure:
(*) Stop Awasu (and make sure it has finished in Task Manager).
(*) Open your user's CONFIG.INI and change the following entry:
MaxConsecutiveChannelUpdateErrors=...
(*) Restart Awasu.

GB wrote:These balloons take up a fair amount of screen real estate and though they eventually go away after what seems like forever

You can, if you want, change the amount of time balloons stay on-screen (Tools, Options and then "Show for # seconds").

GB wrote:Bad Awasu, bad girl! :D

:-) I'd never thought of Awasu as a girl. More an amorphous blob of 0's and 1's :lol:

GB wrote:I think that if I say that I don't want Notification Balloons, I shouldn't see any at all. Maybe you could turn the channel name in the channel list red instead so that I know there was an error. I know that I can get the info from the logs window as well, but I was trying to think of a proactive way (besides balloons) to let the user know there was a problem getting the feed.

Fair enough. I originally decided to show error balloons regardless since the user needs to know that an error has occured. Opening the activity log is not something your average non-techie is going to do but highlighting the channel in the My Channels window is an excellent idea. I need to do a few funky things with error handling in the Advanced/Pro Editions and this works well with that. Thanks!

GB

Postby GB » Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:45 pm

Thanks for the work arounds. This can actually be a pretty serious problem- my DSL went down for a couple of minutes right as Awasu was updating feeds and I started getting balloons for every one of my 60 or so channels. Not good.

I'll make the change in the INI file and change the time to 0 (just to be extra sure!)

Glad you liked the red channel name idea - I think that will be inobtrusive, but obvious.

Thanks again.

Return to “Awasu - Feature Requests”