rondalescott

Postby rondalescott » Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:52 pm

1) I apologize in advance if I'm echoing anyone else, or requesting features that have already been announced as in-development, or requesting features that already exist that I've simply missed.
2) For context, I'm coming from FeedDemon.

PROS:
* I absolutely LOVE how extensible Awasu is. What are there, 5 different ways to extend the base product? I already wrote a little test channel plugin in C#, and it works admirably. We are starting to think of all sorts of ways Awasu could integrate into our development process (source control monitoring, among other things)
* But at the same time, Awasu is remarkably easy if you just want to set it up to monitor newsfeeds. Basic RSS users have no problem using it either.
* I like the Outlook-style 3-pane interface you get when you maximize your feed window.
* I really like the per-feed configuration. Many (most?) other newsreaders do not offer such a rich array of settings for each individual feed.
* Wow, SOAP requests? Post-download XSLT? Is there anything this app doesn't do? Wouldn't be surprised to see the kitchen sink in there next. I just love how many unique features are in there.
* Feed categorization is powerful. Multiple categories per feed is useful.
* Importing from OPML should be a standard feature in every newsreader. But many do not offer this. The fact that Awasu does is *heartening*.
* I really like the ability to add menus for my feeds to the tray menu.

So after all those positives, there are admittedly a few features that I'd like to see (and none of these are deal-breakers for me, so don't take this the wrong way) :

* Ability to consume Atom feeds natively (without using a plugin)
* While categorization is nice, it would be even nicer to see all those categories and their contents implemented as a more conventional treeview. It would also be nice if it were a little more obvious exactly which channel filter you were currently using.
* The rich per-feed settings are a double-edged sword. It is rather difficult to set settings for groups of feeds. I realize there is an external utility for this but it would be very nice if it were built into the app.
* I would like to see Awasu act a little bit more like a real tabbed browser. Right now you get different feeds in tabs; but it would be very nice if I could middle-click on links and have them open in new windows, and middle-click tabs to have them close. This would support my standard usage pattern when using FeedDemon, and would make the app much more comfortable for me. Though I admit the read-me list in the workpad can largely duplicate the effects of my FeedDemon usage pattern.
* I realize this is totally pie-in-the-sky, and I realize there's a hack to do this, but native support for the Gecko engine (Mozilla/FireFox/NetScape) in addition to IE would be super-nice.
* Some kind of popup killer would be most welcome.
* I'd love to see a more configurable item list (i.e. the upper-right pane). Like, maybe if I could add a couple of columns for subject/author/age/publish date/whatever. That would be nice.
* This is admittedly another pie-in-the-sky, but if there were an implementation of some kind of scraping algorithm like Radio's RssDistiller, or Aggie's RssHarvest, that would be really neat.

In any case, the fact that I'm not *forced* to purchase the application has made me strongly consider doing so. I'm not 100% committed yet, it'll probably take me around a month to make up my mind for sure, but I'm close. This is an extremely competent and very nice newsreader. *PLEASE* keep up the good work.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:58 pm

rondalescott wrote:2) For context, I'm coming from FeedDemon.

He he :-) We're always very glad to see people coming from FeedDemon 8)

rondalescott wrote:* But at the same time, Awasu is remarkably easy if you just want to set it up to monitor newsfeeds. Basic RSS users have no problem using it either.

Yep. Non-techie users are a group of people that we have specifically tried to cater for.

rondalescott wrote:* Wow, SOAP requests? Post-download XSLT? Is there anything this app doesn't do? Wouldn't be surprised to see the kitchen sink in there next. I just love how many unique features are in there.

The kitchen sink? We're working on it. One thing I'd like to add is the ability to chain multiple XSLT's so that you could have more than one being applied to a channel e.g. an Atom-to-RSS transformation and then another one to reverse the item order :-) 8)

rondalescott wrote:* Importing from OPML should be a standard feature in every newsreader. But many do not offer this. The fact that Awasu does is *heartening*.

Yep. I did a quick review of the competition the other week and while other readers can import from OPML, I still think that Awasu's implementation is the best i.e. you can pick and choose and preview the feeds to see if they're worth subscribing to before doing so.

rondalescott wrote:* I really like the ability to add menus for my feeds to the tray menu.

If you check out our first birthday retrospective, this was actually one of the very first features that was ever implemented :-)

rondalescott wrote:* Ability to consume Atom feeds natively (without using a plugin)

This will be coming very soon. The next beta is in the final round of testing and after that will be another general (i.e. non-beta) release. After that, we will start work on archiving content and native Atom support will be part of that since we will be revamping the internal object model.

rondalescott wrote:* While categorization is nice, it would be even nicer to see all those categories and their contents implemented as a more conventional treeview. It would also be nice if it were a little more obvious exactly which channel filter you were currently using.

Yes, both popular requests and have been on The List for a while. I've just been busy working on higher priority features :-(

rondalescott wrote:* The rich per-feed settings are a double-edged sword. It is rather difficult to set settings for groups of feeds. I realize there is an external utility for this but it would be very nice if it were built into the app.

Again, yes. One thing that I want to add when My Channels becomes a treeview is the ability to multi-select channels and bring up the Channel Properties dialog to edit all of them. Again, it's just a question of prioritizing features. Awasu stores channel settings in standard INI files so we sometimes just write a little Python script to do bulk updates :hack: :hack: :-)

rondalescott wrote:* I would like to see Awasu act a little bit more like a real tabbed browser. Right now you get different feeds in tabs; but it would be very nice if I could middle-click on links and have them open in new windows, and middle-click tabs to have them close. This would support my standard usage pattern when using FeedDemon, and would make the app much more comfortable for me. Though I admit the read-me list in the workpad can largely duplicate the effects of my FeedDemon usage pattern.

The IE context menu has an option to "Open in Awasu." I looked at double-clicking on tabs to close them a while back but it turned out to be trickier than I first thought and was going to take more time than I had so it got put on hold. I only have a two-button mouse so I'm in no big rush to add middle-button support :-)

rondalescott wrote:* I realize this is totally pie-in-the-sky, and I realize there's a hack to do this, but native support for the Gecko engine (Mozilla/FireFox/NetScape) in addition to IE would be super-nice.

I agree. Again, priorities.

rondalescott wrote:* Some kind of popup killer would be most welcome.

One thing that is on The List is a new feed item format called "Safe mode" that will strip JavaScript and other potentially problematic HTML. You can achieve a similar effect by using "Plain text" or "Excerpt" although this is obviously a bit restrictive. IIRC, if you switch to using Gecko, it will use it's own popup control settings.

rondalescott wrote:* I'd love to see a more configurable item list (i.e. the upper-right pane). Like, maybe if I could add a couple of columns for subject/author/age/publish date/whatever. That would be nice.

Once we go to the new object model, this is something I will be looking at. The plan has always been for Awasu to be a powerful knowledge management tool and metadata is obviously a crucial part of that.

rondalescott wrote:* This is admittedly another pie-in-the-sky, but if there were an implementation of some kind of scraping algorithm like Radio's RssDistiller, or Aggie's RssHarvest, that would be really neat.

We already have a plugin that scrapes web pages. Just waiting for Allan to finish writing the documentation :roll: We also want to put together a little UI to help people construct the necessary regular expressions. I'm hoping to find a bit of time to do that over the next few weeks. Let us know if you're interested in giving the plugin a whirl.

Thanks for all the feedback and ideas. If you go through these forums, you will see that a lot of what people have suggested have made it into the app and it's that much stronger because of it. There's so much I want to add but I have to be a bit ruthless when it comes to prioritizing my efforts. But it all goes on to The List and I will get around to doing most of them eventually.

BTW, let us know how you go with the source control plugin. I've been meaning to write one for ages and would be happy to work with you on this or any other plugins you might want to write.

rondalescott

Postby rondalescott » Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:06 am

Woot, I made the blog! :)

OK, so I started working on a SourceSafe plugin, met with partial success, got bored, went to sleep, woke up the next morning, and decided that for my first plugin I should really start with something a bit easier. I am still doing the SourceSafe one; it's just on the back burner for a bit.

After a bunch of rather stream-of-consciousness development, I ended up with an 85% complete Amazon.com channel plugin. I'll let you know when I'm done and you can take a look at it.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:03 pm

rondalescott wrote:met with partial success, got bored, went to sleep, woke up the next morning, and decided that for my first plugin I should really start with something a bit easier

Story of my life :roll: :-)

Eddy

Postby Eddy » Fri May 13, 2005 2:07 pm

rondalescott wrote:

* I'd love to see a more configurable item list (i.e. the upper-right pane). Like, maybe if I could add a couple of columns for subject/author/age/publish date/whatever. That would be nice.

Once we go to the new object model, this is something I will be looking at. The plan has always been for Awasu to be a powerful knowledge management tool and metadata is obviously a crucial part of that.

Hi, I'm aslo interested in have the author in the item list. Any ideas on a time frame?
Eddy

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri May 13, 2005 4:30 pm

Eddy wrote:Hi, I'm aslo interested in have the author in the item list. Any ideas on a time frame?

I can't give you any specific dates or anything like that. There are some important new features that will be implemented over the next two beta releases, then there will be another general release.

After that, there will be some big back-end enhancements that will also encompass customizable columns in the item pane.

Return to “Awasu - Feature Requests”