zakky

Postby zakky » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:13 pm

Taka,

One more question:

I would like to run a centralized instance on one of our server, is that possible?

thanks,
Marc

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:20 pm

zakky wrote:I would like to run a centralized instance on one of our server, is that possible?

As long as it's licensed correctly, you can run Awasu wherever you want :-)

zakky

Postby zakky » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:36 pm

i reckon you have a lot of emails to answer everyday but i would still need a bit a more detailed reply :?

Are you saying that you offer a server version? A 'server' version to me means that I can run it on the server and that several of my people have clients installed on their machines which means that their thin clients always show the identical, most recent parametrization of the version? meaning: if user 1 changes something to a query user 2's instance will also reflect the change when he starts the application anew?[/i]

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:13 pm

zakky wrote:Are you saying that you offer a server version? A 'server' version to me means that I can run it on the server and that several of my people have clients installed on their machines which means that their thin clients always show the identical, most recent parametrization of the version? meaning: if user 1 changes something to a query user 2's instance will also reflect the change when he starts the application anew?[/i]

We do have a (experimental) server version but it doesn't do what you describe.

The best way to do what you want would be to have a master copy of Awasu running on your server and periodically (or any time anything is changed), save it's configuration out to a sync file. Each client can synchronize themselves to this file, thus replicating the configuration amongst all your clients.

If you want clients to be able to make changes to the Awasu configuration that get replicated on everyone else's Awasu, it's much more complicated. A client could easily save their config up to a sync data file on the server for everyone else to sync with, but this gets messy very quickly. We could possibly provide a customized version of Awasu that can handle this but it's not a trivial job (read: not cheap).

zakky

Postby zakky » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:25 pm

understood. when talking about 'configuration' i was not referring to settings, but to queries. say one of my employees changes a query for a client then it would make sense that this query change is also reflected on other employees desktop installations of awasu. thats why a server version would be nice to have where all are working on the same 'instance'.

nevertheless, i think for now it should suffice to synchronize using config files.

on a side note:

I am still a bit confused with this technology, your program really looks great and seems to be a very easy way for us to screen news related to our clients. however, i am feeling like a complete idiot but i can't get it to run my query correctly. I have downloaded the trial profressional version and am trying to set up a search channel with the wizard. as i already mentioned its very burdensome to work with only one input-line for the query string but, heck, i can handle that :) however, i have now successfully run a search channel and have received results. Now i opened the properties window again and modified the query. I even replaced the darn query with xyz but when i close and refresh the search channel the old findings remains. nothing has changed. how can i force the query to be run again in a search channel?

sorry if this now borders on the obvious but i can't buy if i can't get this simple thing to run :)

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:58 pm

zakky wrote:understood. when talking about 'configuration' i was not referring to settings, but to queries. say one of my employees changes a query for a client then it would make sense that this query change is also reflected on other employees desktop installations of awasu.

I assume that when you say "change a query" you mean "change a query that a search channel is looking for". This falls under the way the channel is configured, hence my talking about sync'ing configurations :-)

zakky wrote:its very burdensome to work with only one input-line for the query string

Copy it out to Notepad, edit it there, then copy it back.

zakky wrote:but when i close and refresh the search channel the old findings remains. nothing has changed. how can i force the query to be run again in a search channel?

Manually updating the channel forces the query to be re-run.

Search channels work in exactly the same way a manual search (<i>Find</i> in the Edit menu) does so you can test your queries manually to see what should be coming back.

Another thing to check is that the search index is being updated correctly (check the settings in the Archive tab of the Program Options, in particular <i>Enable the search index</i> is ticked and <i>Restrict search index updates</i> is not). You should see a bunch (>2) of files in your <tt>Index</tt> sub-directory. You can also rebuild the search index from scratch by running <tt>admin.exe</tt> if you suspect there's something wrong with it.

If all else fails, delete the channel (or create a new one) with the new query and see if that makes a difference.

zakky

Postby zakky » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:17 pm

strange.. i did check the settings you mentioned and they were as you proposed...

I applied this search string to test and got articles which i manually checked that do not fulfill any of the second criteria. odd.

(fraud OR litigation OR "class action") AND ("berkshire hathaway" OR "brevan howard" OR cantillon OR caxton OR "citadel kensington" OR emancipation OR "emperor greater china" OR farallon OR harbinger OR maverick OR moore OR "oz overseas" OR "perry partners" or "perry commitment" OR platinum OR renaissance OR tudor OR turnberry).

I have deleted the old query and run a new one and now its correct. the only message that pops up filfills both criteria.

hmm... to me this means there is something buggy when i late change a search channel query. :)

however, i start liking it. i think this could be a helpful software for us.

question: is there a way to SEE which keywords triggered the find for each message?? automatic highlight? seperate findings column?

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:04 pm

zakky wrote:I have deleted the old query and run a new one and now its correct. the only message that pops up filfills both criteria.

If you're relying on the notification balloons that pop up to see if new items have been found, be aware that they don't appear if a channel is updated *manually*.

zakky wrote:hmm... to me this means there is something buggy when i late change a search channel query. :)

It's unlikely. The channel will "remember" all the old items it found using the old search query but new ones will be matched using the new search query. As I mentioned before, you can always check what the search engine is doing by running a manual query.

zakky wrote:question: is there a way to SEE which keywords triggered the find for each message?? automatic highlight? seperate findings column?

Afraid not. You could always split your current query over multiple channels e.g. have one channel for <tt>(fraud OR litigation OR "class action") AND "berkshire hathaway"</tt>, one channel for <tt>(fraud OR litigation OR "class action") AND "brevan howard"</tt>, etc. It probably makes things easier this way anyway, and using either the <tt>MetaChannel</tt> report template, or the <tt>CombineFeeds</tt> plugin, you can still merge them together into one combined mega-channel.

zakky

Postby zakky » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:20 am

The channel will "remember" all the old items it found using the old search query but new ones will be matched using the new search query

ah thats why.. i expected the channel to delete findings that no longer match the query. good to know!

You could always split your current query over multiple channels e.g. have one channel for (fraud OR litigation OR "class action") AND "berkshire hathaway", one channel for (fraud OR litigation OR "class action") AND "brevan howard", etc

yes, will do so.

last question (for a while): I am new to RSS. What would I have to do to 'distribute' a channel to my clients? The idea is to screen for news, using different queries for each client, and then 'feed' the results with a separate channel for each client to them. I would be grateful if you could show me through the basic steps and how they can be triggered from Awasu. thanks!

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:02 am

zakky wrote:What would I have to do to 'distribute' a channel to my clients?

It depends on how you want to distribute the information but it's all done using reports. These take information out of your channels and puts it all together into a single report, the format of which is controlled by a template file. So, they can output XML (e.g. if you wanted to publish a feed), HTML (e.g. if you want to upload to a web site), plain-text (e.g. if you wanted to send out a simple email). You could even output to LaTex and then generate a PDF from that, or CSV, or anything else you want.

If you want to publish an RSS feed, you would use a template that outputs XML (in the RSS format), then upload it to a web server where people can get at it. Reports can be run manually or configured to run at regular intervals, the latter probably being your best choice since it means your web site will be automagically kept up-to-date.

Note that the 2.3.4 beta added a lot of new features for reporting.

<i>/taka dons his marketing hat</i>

Finally, one thing to keep in mind is that if you want to publish RSS feeds, it's still not very mainstream technology so depending on who your clients are, there might the question of educating them about what RSS is and how to use it. But we can talk about that later... :-)

zakky

Postby zakky » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:57 pm

taka,

regarding the reporting issue: really cool wizard! one question: is there a way I can send a report directly to a target email address? see I would like to automize as much as I can within awasu. It would be cool if I could create a report and whever its created its automatically sent to a stored target email address. or do i have to write a plugin for that?

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:50 pm

zakky wrote:is there a way I can send a report directly to a target email address?

You wish is our command :cool:

zakky

Postby zakky » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:59 pm

great! release! now! :twisted:

can the email address per report be stored? should be able to store the emailaddres, wouldn't want to have to type it in all the time. but i reckon you have obviously already considered this.

i start liking it... :D

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:11 pm

zakky wrote:great! release! now!

Um, it is. It's a beta release but they're pretty solid, especially 2.3.4 since it's pretty close to the final release (end of the year).

If you upgrade, make sure you read the installation instructions carefully!

zakky wrote:can the email address per report be stored? should be able to store the emailaddres, wouldn't want to have to type it in all the time. but i reckon you have obviously already considered this.

Indeed, we have :|

gschoepp

Postby gschoepp » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:18 pm

Didn't want to start a net-new topic, as this one started on point for my question.

We recently installed Awasu Pro on WinServer 2k3 and have been successful in getting it fully operational for our multitude of feeds and our searches/channel hooks. The issue we're having is that since the app behaves like a desktop program (through no fault of its own), once the user session on the server disconnects or is logged off, , the application closes down. Our desire is that the application just run on the server 24x7; to accomplish this, it may be that it needs to run as a "service".

We're researching ways that we might be able to compartmentalize this from an operating system perspective, but I was wondering if anyone in the community has had the same need and explored it.

Much obliged - happy Monday, everyone!

-gs

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”