View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post Viewing web pages
Often when I click on an item to see the corresponding web page, it wont open in Awasu. But if I right click and open in new window it does.

Also, on some web pages, I get a debugger window open up which I have to click 'NO' about 6 times on average.

Any thoughts on the above?

Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:03 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Viewing web pages
Booboo wrote:
Often when I click on an item to see the corresponding web page, it wont open in Awasu.

What do you get? If it's just a blank page, IE sometimes just gets confused and refuses to render any more web pages. You have to restart Awasu.

Booboo wrote:
Also, on some web pages, I get a debugger window open up which I have to click 'NO' about 6 times on average.

Open the Program Options and go to the Display tab. In the top-right, click on the button to the right of where it says "Internet Explorer" and tick <i>"Disable dialog boxes"</i>.

Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:11 am
Profile WWW

1) I just get zero response sometimes from the inbuilt browser. But then it will work for the next web page - so no need to restart.

2) Dialog boxes were already disabled.

Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:36 am
Site Admin

1) I just get zero response sometimes from the inbuilt browser. But then it will work for the next web page - so no need to restart.

What does "zero response" mean? The page doesn't display properly? Doesn't scroll? Doesn't respond to clicks?

Booboo wrote:

Send me a screenshot.

Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:49 am
Profile WWW

Hey Booboo,

In Internet Explorer, go to "Tools", "Internet Options", and click on the "Advanced" tab.

Under "Browsing", make sure you've got a check mark next to these two items:
Disable Script Debugging (Internet Explorer)
Disable Script Debugging (Other)

Also under "Browsing", remove the check mark from this item:
Display a notification about every script error

"Ok" your way out of the dialog boxes.
You may need to restart Internet Explorer and/or Awasu for the changes to take effect. You may even need to reboot.

The above settings are good for general web browsing, but not so good if you do web development and you want to be notified on any script errors that you may have accidentally coded in your client side script. So if you do web development work, you may want to reverse these settings when you're debugging.

Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:09 pm

I'll give it a whirl.

Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:08 pm

Booboo wrote:

What does "zero response" mean? The page doesn't display properly? Doesn't scroll? Doesn't respond to clicks?

Booboo wrote:

Send me a screenshot.

I still get zero response at times.

This means that I click on an item and the browser window remains static / blank. However if I right click and open in IE7 the item opens.

Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:42 pm
Site Admin

This means that I click on an item and the browser window remains static / blank.

These clicks are handled by IE, not Awasu, which suggests that IE has gotten confused and is not processing the click.

Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:42 am
Profile WWW

Post Viewing web pages
Hey Booboo, I work in web development so I'll give you a few things to look at.

First off, as Taka has mentioned, any problems that occur with the browser within Awasu are really Internet Explorer problems, unless you are using Firefox, then they are Firefox problems. Like many feed reader programs, Awasu reuses your existing pre-installed default web browser. So there's only so much help that Taka can provide on these types of problems. Of course if you are able to resolve the problem it'd be nice if you could post the solution back to this thread so we could all benefit from your new found knowledge.

I'll be honest with you I don't know why a standard left-click on the link would fail silently, but an "Open Link in New Tab" or "Open Link in New Window" would succeed, but here are some things to try.

HTML Errors
Remember my previous post about disabling the "debugger window"? You might want to temporarily reverse those settings, as there may be a script error on the page that you are now unaware of. Enabling the "debugger window" might display an error message and point you in the right direction.

Are you using a customized template or Cascading Style Sheet (CSS)? Try switching templates to a standard Awasu template and see if the links start working. Web browsers are pretty forgiving about bad HTML, but there some minor things that can really confuse them. Mismatched attribute quotes are an easy error to make that can screw up the HTML parser within a browser.
Good:
Code:
<div class="spacer">&nbsp;</div> <div class='spacer'>&nbsp;</div>

Bad:
Code:
<div class='spacer">&nbsp;</div>

Missing end tags on HTML elements can also confuse the HTML parser.

Remember what you're seeing in the web browser within Awasu is a combination of 1) the feed content, 2) the Awasu Channel Summary Template and all of it's include files, 3) one or more CSS files, 4) your Web browser settings and 5) to a certain degree your Awasu settings. All of that has to fit together pretty well for the web browser to render an error free, fully-functional page.

Internet Explorer Errors
This utility may resolve your problem http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm. It's hosted by Ramesh Srinivasan on the http://www.mvps.org site, so I think you can trust it but you might try to contact Ramesh at: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/feedback.htm to see if it's been tested with IE7 (not clear from the website).

It might be an IE Add-on, so you might also try temporarily disabling all IE Add-ons.

Talk to me Booboo, and I'll try to help. If you are not skilled at interpreting HTML and JavaScript errors, tell me the exact wording of the error message and I'll try to give you a solution.

Last edited by kevotheclone on Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:26 pm

Thanks KTC. I shall follow up your ideas and report back.

Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:15 am

Interestingly, I seem to have the same problem.

As an aside, FF appears to run well with Awasu.

Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:57 pm

Did you ever try re-enabling script debugging and see any error messages displayed?

Does this happen on all feeds or just some?

Can you give us the URL of at least one feed that exhibits the problem?
If we can duplicate the problem on a second PC then the problem may be malformed feed content.

Swapping browsers was a good test, it tells us one thing, it's not IE7's fault.

Are you using a customized template? Try attaching a different template.

Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:03 am

I am experiencing similar problems as Booboo described. :cry:

I am currently using Awasu version 2.4.1 Alpa 3 version with IE8. I have tried the proposed solutions in the above post with no avail.

However, I have observed that the problem occurs more frequently when there are a lot of items listed in the channel folder (for example the one that i am having problems with has on average over 100 feed items listed).

When i select a feed item either from the item pane or the summary pane, the url of the feed item shows up in the url text box but does not display the web page. Selecting the Enter tab in the tool bar under the item pane does not help.

Sometimes when the feed item is selected from the summary pane, the url shows up momentarily then disappears. The summary pane will then refresh and display the feed items list starting from the top item.

Unfortunately, its been difficult to troubleshoot since the problem seems to be intermittent. On occasions, the same url that failed to display earlier will be displayed after a couple of attempts at different feed items.

We have 3 licenced versions and they all exhibit same behavior.

Any thoughts?

Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:19 pm

One thing that i forgot to mention in my last post is that the Channel folder that contain these large number of feed items are generated from Search Channels. I am not sure if that make a difference or not.

Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:03 pm
Site Admin

Just had a thought as to what this might be.

Open Awasu's Properties dialog, go to the Display tab, click on the button to the right of where it says "Internet Explorer" (top-right) and <u>un-tick</u> <i>Disable dialog boxes</i>.

When this is ticked, IE uses a default answer to any dialog boxes it would've shown and I'm wondering if it's maybe complaining about some scripting error or something like that, then providing a default answer that is preventing the page from continuing to load.

Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:10 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next