happypete

Postby happypete » Wed May 12, 2004 12:14 am

I'd like to see a way to set a default authentication for all feeds in a domain (or partial domain, i.e. a password for y.com also applies, unless over-ridden, to feeds in x.y.com).

1) if per-server authentication is explicitly set in a channel, it is tried; if it succeeds, display the feed
2) otherwise, if per-server authentication is set for the server of the feed, it is tried; if it succeeds, display the feed
3) otherwise, if per-site authentication is set for the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of the feed use that
4) repeat the process on parent domains
5) if no authentication succeeds, display the feed without authentication if possible

--Pete, exhausted after typing his LJ username and password dozens of times for dozens of friends' channels...
--
HappyPete

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed May 12, 2004 3:51 am

happypete wrote:I'd like to see a way to set a default authentication for all feeds in a domain (or partial domain, i.e. a password for y.com also applies, unless over-ridden, to feeds in x.y.com).

The ability to edit the properties for more than one channel at a time is definitely on the list but I'm really busy working on other features right now :whip:

However, there is already a tool that can help you. In the Awasu directory, you will find a program called ChannelMaintenance.exe which lets you set properties for multiple channels. It's pretty crude but it gets the job done. You will need to edit the ChannelMaintenance.ini file in Notepad but it's easy to figure out. Passwords are stored encrypted in the .CHANNEL files but if you set the authentication properties for one of them, you can copy and paste the encrypted password into ChannelMaintenance.exe to set it for the others.

Let me know if you need more help with this.

happypete

Postby happypete » Thu May 13, 2004 1:05 am

ChannelMaintenance was definitely a help. I appreciate the tip!
--

HappyPete

Return to “Awasu - Feature Requests”