abwilson

Postby abwilson » Sat Dec 13, 2003 10:36 pm

I'm back to using IE as my default browser, but SHIFT-clicking on a link in the Awasu browser pane does indeed open it in a new browser window.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:42 am

ajg23 wrote:I will be delighted to buy Awasu when this option is added!

Check this out: http://www.tcbmi.com/strokeit/

You should be able to configure it to do what you want :-)

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:08 am

Does v1.2 have some way of using Mozilla easily?

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:05 am

Anonymous wrote:Does v1.2 have some way of using Mozilla easily?

Yep. Check the FAQ.

vaxinate

Postby vaxinate » Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:50 pm

ok.... i use firefox and not mozilla... do i need to have full fledged mozilla to use gecko instead of IE? I really jsut want for opening links outside of Awasu to be more convenient than having to right click and select from a menu. So maybe this is really a featur request but if there was a way i could make links open in in a new firefox browser and not not inside awasu or an IE window. me no likes IE. Thx in andvance.

--VAX

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:30 am

vaxinate wrote:ok.... i use firefox and not mozilla... do i need to have full fledged mozilla to use gecko instead of IE?

I don't think so. Gecko comes as a drop-in replacement for the browser component that IE uses so that's all you need to install.

squeg

Postby squeg » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:05 pm

My findings:

1. the control file from firebird will not work... you must use the one from the mozilla distribution.

2. the FAQ points to a zipfile that should be downloaded and placed in the same directory as the mozilla control. That file no longer exists at the specified location. However, (whatever it was) it did not seem to be necessary with my build.

3. while this does change the "browser engine" it does not seem to enable access to any extensions you may have loaded in mozilla. No tabs, no mouse gestures, etc. I tried copying the information from the mozilla preferences folder to the mozilla control's preferences folder without any luck.

4. this absolutely KILLED my context menus in awasu. None of the awasu options were present. Most of the ones I'm used to having access to were gone. Right-clicking an image gave me two whole options, print and select all. Right-clicking a link allowed me to open it in a new window, but not in the default browser etc.

In short, the only appreciable gain doing this was that pages rendered as they would under mozilla and i was no longer subject to any if ie's security flaws. I can't say that those two things were particularly worth the trouble, especially with the crippled context menus. I switched back to the ie control and all seems to be well.

If the mozilla extensions, et. al. were available from within awasu, I could see this as being really sweet, and i'd probably do the bulk of my browsing from within awasu. As it stands now, I prefer to just view most links in my default browser (opera) and call it good. And currently i can only do this using ie. as awasu's rendering engine.

Note, i'm running Awasu advanced edition 2.0.

squeg

Postby squeg » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:12 pm

support wrote:
vaxinate wrote:ok.... i use firefox and not mozilla... do i need to have full fledged mozilla to use gecko instead of IE?

I don't think so. Gecko comes as a drop-in replacement for the browser component that IE uses so that's all you need to install.

I touched on this in my above post, but to clarify, don't use the control that comes with firefox. It just causes awasu to hang when it loads. You can use the control that comes with mozilla, OR you can download a package that just installs the control from http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/mozilla.htm

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:39 am

squeg wrote:2. the FAQ points to a zipfile that should be downloaded and placed in the same directory as the mozilla control. That file no longer exists at the specified location. However, (whatever it was) it did not seem to be necessary with my build.

Yes, the FAQ is quite out-of-date :oops: I'm going to update it when the next alpha is released.

squeg wrote:3. while this does change the "browser engine" it does not seem to enable access to any extensions you may have loaded in mozilla. No tabs, no mouse gestures, etc. I tried copying the information from the mozilla preferences folder to the mozilla control's preferences folder without any luck.

I don't know much about Mozilla nor how to fix this. It might be worth trying to contact the author of the ActiveX control to see if he knows.

squeg wrote:4. this absolutely KILLED my context menus in awasu. None of the awasu options were present. Most of the ones I'm used to having access to were gone. Right-clicking an image gave me two whole options, print and select all. Right-clicking a link allowed me to open it in a new window, but not in the default browser etc.

That's right, the context menus are IE-specific. If someone can let me know how to install context menus for Mozilla, I'll update Awasu to do it.

Return to “Awasu - Feature Requests”