gschoepp

Postby gschoepp » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:50 pm

Howdy, folks!

Our Awasu installation crossed the 1,500 feed mark today and is still performing well and our search channels are spitting out feed items with aplomb. 2,000 here we come!

In the near future, I'm going to need to relocate the installation from its current place (running on a PC in an undisclosed location) to a real live server in a cozy computer room. While I've used sync files to replicate my feed and application settings a bunch, I would like to be able to bring my article archives (now approaching 500,000 feed items) along to the new location.

My intent was to perform a net-new install of Awasu Pro on the new server using a new license and then to copy over all of the pertinent directories from the existing machine. Is this a good/bad/tragically flawed idea? Will I still need to apply a sync file from the other installation using this approach?

Any direction folks can offer to shorten/uncomplicate this task is much appreciated. I look forward to the day when I can help the community instead of always being the one asking the questions...

Thanks.

gs

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:51 am

gschoepp wrote:Our Awasu installation crossed the 1,500 feed mark today and is still performing well and our search channels are spitting out feed items with aplomb. 2,000 here we come!

Um, wow :bigshock: Glad to see Awasu is still holding up :blink:

gschoepp wrote:My intent was to perform a net-new install of Awasu Pro on the new server using a new license and then to copy over all of the pertinent directories from the existing machine. Is this a good/bad/tragically flawed idea?

Awasu is designed <sup><small><i>(*)</i></small></sup> to make this kind of thing easy. The best way to do it is:
(*) Install Awasu on the new machine.
(*) Run it once (so it will create your user's directories), then exit.
(*) Delete everything in the local and roaming data directories (as described here), then copy over the contents from the corresponding directories on the old machine.

Awasu data is split over two directories due to the way Microsoft want programs to do things, but you can also run Awasu in portable mode which keeps everything in one place. In this case, you would just have to copy one directory over. Check this page if you want to have more control over where the data files are stored.

<small><i>(*) All file paths are stored using relative addresses (if you look in the config files, you'll see things like <tt>{:INSTALL-DIR:}</tt> and <tt>{:USER-DATA:}</tt>. This is a result of the sync feature - if you sync from a machine where Awasu is installed in <tt>C:\Program Files\Awasu</tt> to a machine where it's at <tt>D:\Awasu</tt>, this design lets everything continue to Just Work <sup><small><i>(TM)</i></small></sup>.</i></small>

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:32 am

gschoepp wrote:Our Awasu installation crossed the 1,500 feed mark today and is still performing well and our search channels are spitting out feed items with aplomb. 2,000 here we come!

BTW, I would also check the <tt>.CHANNEL</tt> files in your user's <tt>Channels</tt> sub-directory. If you're not opening all the channels on a regular basis, I'm guessing that some of these files are going to be pretty big, which will slow down Awasu significantly.

I would really recommend trying the 2.4.1.alpha1 release since it will make a huge difference in how fast Awasu runs. Don't worry about the alpha label, they're as stable and as well-tested as any other release, it's more about how they're packaged (ZIP file) and to reflect that they're an intermediate step on the way to the 2.4.1 beta release. Maybe give it a whirl on the old machine, after you've transferred everything to the new server :-)

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”