dgnc

Postby dgnc » Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:51 am

Having used Awasu AE for a bit now there are a couple or few of features I would like.

1. To be able to sort the channels by update frequency - so the most frequently updated at the top and the least frequent at the bottom.

2. A button to temporarily stop updates (so I can get on with reading feeds without waiting for the hourglass to clear or other heavy processing to finish) along with a button to resume updates and catch up on the ones missed. A parameter that I can set at say between 10 and 120 minutes to pop-up a reminder that updates are off would be nice as well.

3. A update interval of 1 week be added to the dropdown list as I can never remember how many minutes that is.

4. Direct support for Firefox and maybe Mozilla and Opera without having to do tricky hacks as per the FAQ. This is more important given the recent holes and advice on changing from IE.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:10 am

dgnc wrote:1. To be able to sort the channels by update frequency - so the most frequently updated at the top and the least frequent at the bottom.

Hmmm.... You're probably the only person on the planet who's going to want this :-)

dgnc wrote:2. A button to temporarily stop updates (so I can get on with reading feeds without waiting for the hourglass to clear or other heavy processing to finish) along with a button to resume updates and catch up on the ones missed. A parameter that I can set at say between 10 and 120 minutes to pop-up a reminder that updates are off would be nice as well.

Why? Is the background processing interfering with the UI? I find that I can still read feeds while channels are updating in the background.

dgnc wrote:3. A update interval of 1 week be added to the dropdown list as I can never remember how many minutes that is.

OK. You can still just type "week" in the combo box (it's not a droplist).

dgnc wrote:4. Direct support for Firefox and maybe Mozilla and Opera without having to do tricky hacks as per the FAQ. This is more important given the recent holes and advice on changing from IE.

I've literally just finished adding integrated support for Gecko, the underlying engine for Mozilla and Firefox, so you won't have to jump through hoops to get Awasu to use it anymore.

dgnc

Postby dgnc » Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:58 am

To be able to sort the channels by update frequency - so the most frequently updated at the top and the least frequent at the bottom. Hmmm.... You're probably the only person on the planet who's going to want this

Okay leave it if I am the only person. I guess I am using Awasu as a sort of souped up bookmarks manager, there are high volume (in terms of updates) channels that keep me up to date (e.g. BBC, CNN, The Register) where I want to read them as a priority - some lower volume ones (e.g. Tom's hardware, AnandTech, Fark, Downing Street Says) where the urgency to read them is less - say once a day, and some where the urgency to read them is when I have got time (e.g. eweek security, gizmodo, moorewatch). I wanted a way of sorting along those lines and thought update frequency fitted the bill. A read priority flag might be another way of doing that though that means more input data.

Having said that a datagrid method of changing the properties of channels would be nice where you have all your channels listed and have the properties such as update frequency, channel categories, if implemented a read priority etc could be changed without having to go into each channel individually.
Why? Is the background processing interfering with the UI? I find that I can still read feeds while channels are updating in the background.

Yes there are frequent times when background processing interferes severely with smooth reading of content. The scroll bars become unresponsive to dragging or clicking as the hour glass and pointer rapidly interchage resulting in unpredictable 'catch-ups' both in time and where the scrolling stops. The hour glass is not always showing to show background processing is interfering or will interfere. Likewise this happens on channel selection and item selection, it becomes unresponsive and unpredictable. If I can find a suitable screen video capture progamme (do you know one?) I will try and record what I mean and e-mail the result to you. Usually the only other thing I have running at the same time is Outlook which is on a 20 minute polling for e-mails and typically is using <2% of processing resources. I have also turned off tabbed browsing as I was finding that was leaving Awasu at consuming 100% of resources for exended periods of time when more than a few tabs were open. It also happens when typing replies in forums - like now. There is also the times when the screen goes almost completely blank (no content in any pane) for 5-10 seconds before coming back usually occurs after clicking on another channel.
OK. You can still just type "week" in the combo box (it's not a droplist).

It was just to save a few keystrokes and mouse to keyboard actions quite a few times
I've literally just finished adding integrated support for Gecko, the underlying engine for Mozilla and Firefox, so you won't have to jump through hoops to get Awasu to use it anymore.

Good to hear- now if I can just get a password manager to work with it ....

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:13 pm

dgnc wrote:I guess I am using Awasu as a sort of souped up bookmarks manager, there are high volume (in terms of updates) channels that keep me up to date (e.g. BBC, CNN, The Register) where I want to read them as a priority - some lower volume ones (e.g. Tom's hardware, AnandTech, Fark, Downing Street Says) where the urgency to read them is less - say once a day, and some where the urgency to read them is when I have got time (e.g. eweek security, gizmodo, moorewatch).

Something like that would be better done by grouping your channels together using filters i.e. create somme channel categories such as "Daily", "Occasional", etc and then filter My Channels according to this.

dgnc wrote:Yes there are frequent times when background processing interferes severely with smooth reading of content.

I'll put something into the next alpha to help try figure out what's going on. In the meantime, you can try this: create a file called DEBUG.INI in your user's home directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\Awasu\Users\YOUR-NAME\debug.ini) that looks like this:

Code: Select all

[Debug]
    MaxChannelUpdateBurstSize=10

This might help. You can play around with the value as well - lower values should make the UI a bit better but updates your channels more slowly.

dgnc

Postby dgnc » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:01 pm

Will try that - my debug.ini file now reads

[Debug]
DefaultSqliteBusyTimeout=180
EnableDbAccessControl=1
MaxChannelUpdateBurstSize=10

dgnc

topeju

Postby topeju » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:54 am

dgnc wrote:2. A button to temporarily stop updates (so I can get on with reading feeds without waiting for the hourglass to clear or other heavy processing to finish) along with a button to resume updates and catch up on the ones missed. A parameter that I can set at say between 10 and 120 minutes to pop-up a reminder that updates are off would be nice as well.

I'll second that request although for a somewhat different reason: Some full-screen applications have (generally rather minor but sometimes annoying) problems with the Awasu notification balloons, but I'd rather not exit Awasu entirely while using them. Stopping the updates would temporarily also stop the balloons.

It would be preferable if the button or menu option would also be available on the system tray menu, so I wouldn't have to open the Awasu window to pause/resume the update cycle.

Maybe pausing the updates would also let me get some work done from time to time. ;-)

squeg

Postby squeg » Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:54 pm

Not to be obvious or anything... but when I'm running a full screen ap and I don't want to see the balloons, I just exit Awasu. :P

topeju

Postby topeju » Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:42 am

squeg wrote:[...]when I'm running a full screen ap and I don't want to see the balloons, I just exit Awasu. :P

I'd rather not exit Awasu for two reasons: One, it takes time to start Awasu again. Second, the probability that I forget to start Awasu for a while is pretty high. If the Awasu icon changed when updates are stopped, it would serve as a fairly good reminder that I need to do something (i.e. re-enable the updates). Oh, a third reason: if Awasu is still running, synchronization will also work (I use a cron job to send Awasu a save/load sync data message).

Return to “Awasu - Feature Requests”