kkfkan

Postby kkfkan » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:18 am

Hi,

I am new to Awasu, and is exploring the capabilities of it.
I have noticed that if I am to set the news update frequency to daily (every morning at 9am), I am only getting the news feeds that were created on that same day, instead of including the ones from the previous day which were not downloaded in my Awasu.

Is there something which I missed out in configuration? Or is there a way for me to overcome this issue?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers,
Kevin
---------------------------

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:42 am

Awasu is *very* configurable so it's probably some setting somewhere that's causing this.

Firstly, channels can be configured to show only new items, where "new" means received since you last opened the channel. So, if you open a channel you might see a bunch of items, then if you close it and re-open it again, it will be empty, since nothing new has been received since you last looked at it.

This setting can be configured individually for each channel - open the channel's Properties dialog and on the first page, check the <i>Show feed items</i> setting in the bottom-right corner. If it's set to "Default", then the channel will use the global setting, configured in the Program Options dialog, Display page, <i>Show feed items</i> in the bottom-right corner.

Likewise, channels can be configured to only show recent feed items e.g. from the past 3 days, or only the last 5 items. This is set in the same way as above, look for the <i>Show the last</i> setting.

Channels can also be configured to keep their feed items for a certain amount of time, after which they get automatically deleted. This is configured in the <i>Keep content for</i> setting in the Advanced page of the channel's Properties dialog, the global default setting is in the Archive page of the Program Options dialog.

Finally, if you're talking about channels that you have created recently, Awasu will only download the items that are in the feed itself. For example, a blog may have been going for many years but if the associated RSS feed only contains the most recent 3 items, then that's all Awasu will be able to download when you first create the channel, even though there are many other items up on the blog's web site.

kkfkan

Postby kkfkan » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:57 am

Hi support,

Thank you for your reply.

I'm sorry that I have not made myself clear in my earlier post.

The problem which I had (i.e. those news feeds which were not downloaded the previous day, were not downloaded together with today's new items) occurs to my channel hooks for email. Basically, I had the email hook configured to email me the new news feeds at 9am daily.

As such, does your answers and description still applies to my problem?

Thanks,
Kevin
-----------------------

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:58 pm

kkfkan wrote:I had the email hook configured to email me the new news feeds at 9am daily.

The email channel hook cannot be configured to run at a specific time. It gets attached to a channel and every time the channel updates and new items are received, it sends out an email.

Likewise, channels can't be configured to update at a certain time of the day, only at set intervals e.g. every hour, every 3 hours, etc.

This might explain what you're seeing...?

kkfkan

Postby kkfkan » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:26 am

support wrote:Likewise, channels can't be configured to update at a certain time of the day, only at set intervals e.g. every hour, every 3 hours, etc.
This might explain what you're seeing...?

Hi support,

What I meant that it'll auto download at 9am daily is that I've set the frequency to "Daily" and triggered a manual update at 9am. Hence, from the last update, Awasu will auto update at 24-hrs interval.

And the problem: News feeds which were not downloaded at yesterday's 9am interval, were also not downloaded in today's 9am interval. This results in a "gap" of news items downloaded, which I call it "missing".

Any advice?

Thanks,
Kevin
------------------------

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:25 am

kkfkan wrote:What I meant that it'll auto download at 9am daily is that I've set the frequency to "Daily" and triggered a manual update at 9am. Hence, from the last update, Awasu will auto update at 24-hrs interval.

This is correct, assuming you don't exit and restart Awasu in the meantime. For example, if you turn your PC off at 11pm before you go to bed, then start it up again at 10am the next day, Awasu will realize that your channel is overdue for an update and do so immediately, so your channel will still be on a 24-hour update cycle, but now at 10am :-)

kkfkan wrote:And the problem: News feeds which were not downloaded at yesterday's 9am interval, were also not downloaded in today's 9am interval. This results in a "gap" of news items downloaded, which I call it "missing".

How are you telling that the items are missing? Because they're not in the feed themselves or because they weren't emailed out? I assume you know that they exist at all because they're up on the publishers website?

This kind of thing could possibly happen for feeds that have lots of new items added frequently. Locate your <tt>CONFIG.INI</tt> and <tt>.CHANNEL</tt> files (as described here) and email them to me and I'll take a look at it.

kkfkan

Postby kkfkan » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:13 am

support wrote:How are you telling that the items are missing? Because they're not in the feed themselves or because they weren't emailed out? I assume you know that they exist at all because they're up on the publishers website?

Yes, you are right. I was comparing the news feeds on the website with the ones which I have received.

support wrote:This kind of thing could possibly happen for feeds that have lots of new items added frequently. Locate your <tt>CONFIG.INI</tt> and <tt>.CHANNEL</tt> files (as described here) and email them to me and I'll take a look at it.

I have sent it to you for your reference. Appreciate your help. Thanks.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:53 pm

Thanks for sending the stuff through. What I thought was happening is probably what is happening :-)

Publishers provide a special URL on their website (usually referred to as a "feed") that tells programs like Awasu about their most recent content. The key thing to understand is that it only lists a limited number of items (15 is common), so as new items are added to it, old ones "drop off the end".

Take a website that is putting out one new item per hour, and includes the last 15 in its feed. It's putting out 24 new items a day but if you only check it once every 24 hours, you will only get the last 15 and miss the previous 9.

Similarly, if a site only publishes new items infrequently, say once a week, there's no point checking it every 5 minutes, once every few days would make more sense.

So, you need to adjust your channel's update frequency to match how often new items are getting published. Your channel seems to putting out around 1 new item per hour on average, so you might want to set it to update every 3-6 hours.

kkfkan

Postby kkfkan » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:18 pm

support wrote:The key thing to understand is that it only lists a limited number of items (15 is common), so as new items are added to it, old ones "drop off the end".

Thank you for your explanation.
Is it then possible to increase the limited number of items, so that I can retain more older items?

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:45 pm

kkfkan wrote:Is it then possible to increase the limited number of items, so that I can retain more older items?

I think I can answer that one as I think Taka mentioned the most pertinent Channel options in his previous post in this same thread. Re-read it and see if that answers your question.
Hint: you can keep feed items forever.

Taka also gave you a warning: "Awasu is *very* configurable so it's probably some setting somewhere that's causing this."

One time I temporarily "screwed up" one of my Channels by forgetfully setting the "Show feed items" to "New only" (just to see how it worked). Days later I opened the Channel to re-read an article I'd seen a few days before and couldn't see it even though I had the "Keep content for" setting set to retain the Channel's feed items for a month.

I emailed Taka and he calmly talked me down from the ledge I was about to jump off of, asking me to check the "Show feed items" settings (I tell you "that Awasu guy" :wink: is psychic).

Note: The aforementioned combination of settings might be a perfect combination for the right person and the right Channel, but you just need to be cognizant of your settings.

Example: I actually use these setting on some Yahoo! Traffic feeds that I subscribe to. I have the "Keep content for" setting set the it's minimum value "1 Day" and the "Show feed items" set to "Unread only", 'cause once I check a traffic incident I never want to see it again.

So be careful and thoughtful of your settings and review them when things don't look right, because there are a lot of options to learn and some of them interact in ways that we might not initially think about.

Best of luck and keep us informed.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:30 pm

kkfkan wrote:Is it then possible to increase the limited number of items, so that I can retain more older items?

There are two limits at play here.

The first is the one <i>kevotheclone</i> is referring to, how long Awasu will keep content for, and yes, you can configure your channels to keep stuff for as long as you want.

The other one is how many items the publisher is putting in their feeds (I gave 15 as a common value) and since this is something they're doing, we don't have any control over it. The scenario I described, with a feed putting out one new item per hour, means that Awasu will not receive some items at all and in this case, it doesn't matter how long you've asked Awasu to keep content for - if it's never received, it won't make any difference.

Here's another example to maybe clarify things (or confuse them more :roll: ). Say you go on holiday for a week and don't run Awasu during that time. Lots of new stories will be published and added to the feed, but as new ones come online, old ones will get removed (in order to keep the most recent 15 in the feed). When you come back and run Awasu again, it will update the channel and get the most recent 15 items, but those hundreds of items that were published while you were away, Awasu will never know about since they've been and gone in the feed. This is a consequence of how RSS was designed. There was an effort a while back to extend it to cover situations like these, where feed readers could ask for historical content, but it never really took off (lack of interest, mostly).

kkfkan

Postby kkfkan » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:33 am

Thank you guys for your replies and support.

I will try to see if there's any way which I can overcome the problem.

Will update you guys on it.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Kevin
----------------------

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”