Ian Murphy

Postby Ian Murphy » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:28 pm

when I'm away from my desk I always lock my screen (hey what can I say I follow the instructions I give to users). I have the distinct impression that if I am out of the office and my screen is locked that Awasu downloads and displays headlines as if I was able to view them.

I could be wrong on this but it would be handy to have awasu pause while the screen is locked.

Ian Murphy

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:26 am

Ian Murphy wrote:I have the distinct impression that if I am out of the office and my screen is locked that Awasu downloads and displays headlines as if I was able to view them.

I could be wrong on this but it would be handy to have awasu pause while the screen is locked.

Awasu will certainly continue to download feeds even if the PC is locked. Balloon notifications will also be shown. The intent of these is that they are a just a <u>hint</u> that a news item has arrived - there are situations where a balloon may not be shown for a new item i.e. they aren't really intended to be the definitive way of notifying the user of new content.

Ian Murphy

Postby Ian Murphy » Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:51 pm

>there are situations where a balloon may not be shown
>for a new item i.e. they aren't really intended to be
>the definitive way of notifying the user of new content.

Hmm, maybe I've missed something fundamental. If I leave awasu open and go out for 4-5 hours and come back, as far as I can tell there isn't any way to tell whats changed. I'm concientious(sp?) about locking my screen but not about closing programs.

I think the distinction is between unread and new. New being anything that has appeared since the last time you were looking at the screen. One way for awasu to know if the user is there or not is that the screen is locked (or awasu is simply not running).

When I return to my desk I would have to page through each rss feed and page through the list of headlines (which appear in the order of the provider, unless I'm mistaken) and new headlines sometimes appear 'below' older ones, thus confusing things even more.

In any case, I'm impressed by the app, its very stable, well written and easy to use. I've tried a few rss readers but got annoyed quickly by all of them. On all fronts an excellent app.

Ian

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:27 am

Ian Murphy wrote:Hmm, maybe I've missed something fundamental. If I leave awasu open and go out for 4-5 hours and come back, as far as I can tell there isn't any way to tell whats changed. I'm concientious(sp?) about locking my screen but not about closing programs.

I think the distinction is between unread and new. New being anything that has appeared since the last time you were looking at the screen.

I almost always have the "New content" filter active. This means that the My Channels window is filtered to show only those channels that have new content i.e. channels that have received new content since I last looked at them. Such channels are also highlighted with a gold ball next to them.

Ian Murphy wrote:When I return to my desk I would have to page through each rss feed and page through the list of headlines (which appear in the order of the provider, unless I'm mistaken) and new headlines sometimes appear 'below' older ones, thus confusing things even more.

Again, new items (i.e. those received since you last looked at that channel) are highlighted with a yellow icon. You can also, if you wish, filter items so that only new or unread ones are shown (either globally or for individual channels).

Ian Murphy wrote:In any case, I'm impressed by the app, its very stable, well written and easy to use. I've tried a few rss readers but got annoyed quickly by all of them. On all fronts an excellent app.

Thanks for all the feedback :-)

Return to “Awasu - Feature Requests”