Booboo

Postby Booboo » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:33 pm

Regarding this feed: http://94.136.44.71/ManMadeDisasters.html

I get all the items and summaries displaying in Awasu however I receive an error (cannot be found) for all the items.

Could you please test this feed if you get a chance as it comes from a very reputable source.
Booboo

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:19 am

:peek: I just tried to access this feed but I get a HTTP 404 error (file not found). So I tried just accessing the root of the web server http://94.136.44.71/ and am greeted with a login screen for which I have no user ID and password.

Booboo, if this feed requires a user ID and password then you should email them to Taka privately so he can test it correctly; no need to post the user ID and password here.

After a few minutes of studying RNS I found this feed which may be what you want: :unsure:
http://rss.osvision.com/rss?type=alert& ... anguage=en

Booboo

Postby Booboo » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:25 am

Kevo

Thanks

The link I provided was out of Awasu. Here is the link straight from the originators site. No login required.

http://rss.osvision.com/rss?type=alert& ... anguage=en
Booboo

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:25 am

Ok I see some of what is going on.

Issue #1
When you look at the "Details" section of the Channel Properties you'll see that the "Feed URL" is correct (http://rss.osvision.com/rss?type=alert&id=ManMadeDisasters&language=en), but the "Home" page URL is, http://94.136.44.71/ManMadeDisasters.html, which doesn't exist.

If you look at the raw XML of the feed you'll see that there is a <link> element within the <channel> element that gives this non-existent URL: http://94.136.44.71/ManMadeDisasters.html. If you're curious, the raw XML of the feed is typically stored in this folder: C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Local Settings\Application Data\Awasu\Logs\

So I think that Awasu is performing accurately in this respect and the feed has provided as bad URL in the <channel><link> element.

Issue #2
When I click on a feed item's title Awasu is trying to open a page on my hard drive using the value from the <guid> element concatenated to my %TEMP% path.

I'm not sure about this as I don't know ATOM and RSS that well, but we know a guy who does and I sure he'll tell us what's wrong.

Issue #3
Awasu does display a "Related link" for each feed item. When I click these links the referenced web page opens in Awasu, but on some (not all) of the pages I get "permission denied" and "unterminated string" errors. I don't get these same errors when I right click the link and select "Open in New Window". I'm pretty sure that these errors are due to lousy coding on the web page author's part ("unterminated string") and the fact that there is extra security within Awasu ("permission denied"). I'm using IE8 with the "enhanced security" turned on.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:57 am

kevotheclone wrote:Issue #1
If you look at the raw XML of the feed you'll see that there is a <link> element within the <channel> element that gives this non-existent URL: http://94.136.44.71/ManMadeDisasters.html.

So I think that Awasu is performing accurately in this respect and the feed has provided as bad URL in the <channel><link> element.

This is correct. The only place this URL is really used is in the channel title at the top of each channel's page so it being wrong is not a major issue. It can be overridden in Details page of the channel's Properties dialog.

kevotheclone wrote:Issue #2
When I click on a feed item's title Awasu is trying to open a page on my hard drive using the value from the <guid> element concatenated to my %TEMP% path.

This is root cause of the problem. I've put up a full explanation and a solution here.

kevotheclone wrote:Issue #3
Awasu does display a "Related link" for each feed item. When I click these links the referenced web page opens in Awasu, but on some (not all) of the pages I get "permission denied" and "unterminated string" errors.

Both of these are problems on the remote web server. Awasu doesn't do anything that generates a "permission denied" error, this sounds like an HTTP 403 status code. The fact that you don't get them when opening in an external browser window might be because the web server is rejecting requests based on user agent (how programs identify themselves to web servers - if you're not a recognized browser, they deny you access).

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:01 pm

kevotheclone wrote:If you're curious, the raw XML of the feed is typically stored in this folder: C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Local Settings\Application Data\Awasu\Logs\

BTW, you can also get this by opening the channel's Properties dialog, going to the Details tab and Shift-clicking on the <i>Show feed</i> button. It's also available from the Edit menu.

Booboo

Postby Booboo » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:45 pm

Regarding the said instructions:
http://www.awasu.com/wiki/Fix_Guid_isPermalink

I just saved the code in a note pad and added a .xsl extension. But does not work.

Any tips?
Booboo

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:31 pm

Do you have MSXML installed? What does the channel's error log say?

Booboo

Postby Booboo » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:30 am

I'm not famil with MSXML. I went to the page you suggested but got confused. Didn't which download was for me!

Perhaps it will be easier if ask the author of the feeds to fix up his act.
Booboo

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:41 am

Booboo wrote:Perhaps it will be easier if ask the author of the feeds to fix up his act.

Ultimately, that is the best thing to do, and with any other feed reader that is the only option. so by all means email the feed publisher and send them a link to this thread.

I tried Taka's solution and it worked for me, so let's back up and go over it again:
I know you said that you copied the XSLT code in Notepad and you saved it with an .XSL extension, but you didn't exactly confirm that you attached it to the "Man Made Disasters" Channel. Can you confirm this? (that's "Channel Properties" -> "Details" - > "Processing")

And by the way this solution only corrects the URLs of any new feed items after the XSL file is attached. To "start from a clean slate" you may need to delete the Channel and create a new Channel based upon the feed's URL with the XSL file attached right from the start.

Regarding MSXML
You should download and run the first file, the one named "msxml.msi". You don't need to install it in any special folder, you can just accept whatever it suggest and it should work, although you may need to reboot your PC after you install it and then re-run Awasu. If you have Windows XP or Vista it should install easily.

If you have an older version of Windows, it may install correctly or it may not and you'll get a definite error message telling you that it can't be installed if it fails. If this is the case, go back to that same page and look at the line that says "Important" right above the downloadable file list. You'll need to install the "Windows Installer 2.0" first and then you can install the "msxml.msi" file.

Success or failure let us know what happened.

Booboo

Postby Booboo » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:45 am

Thanks kevotheclone.

I shall follow this advice and report back.

U R Mazing.
Booboo

Booboo

Postby Booboo » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:10 am

The feed author has welcomed the feedback and has agreed to fix the feeds.
Booboo

Booboo

Postby Booboo » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:27 am

Quick question. Once the feeds are fixed by the Author, will it simply start working properly in my Awasu or will I need to delete and resubscribe the guilty feeds?
Booboo

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:52 am

I'm not really sure. I just took a look at the XSLT file that Taka provided and I think that it probably won't mess up anything if it's left in place after they fix their feed, but Taka would know best.

But I'm pretty sure that you won't need to delete and resubscribe.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:20 am

Booboo wrote:Once the feeds are fixed by the Author, will it simply start working properly in my Awasu or will I need to delete and resubscribe the guilty feeds?

You won't need to do anything. You might want to remove the XSLT from the channel since it will cause updates to run slightly more slowly but it's not necessary.

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”