View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

Post Syncing Workpads
I was just wondering if there would be some way to sync workpads in such a way that does not delete the feed items in your current workpad. Ideally it should work similar to the "Don't delete channels" option used when syncing the channel items.

The problem is sometimes when several people are working the same report, they work on individual work pads that are needed for building the report. However, there is no convenient way that i have found to merge the items from the various workpads. The current syncing process does not work because it causes the feed items in the individual workpads to be overwritten with the the wordpad items from the synced file.

Any thoughts on adding the feature or another solution to this problem?

Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:27 pm

Post Re: Syncing Workpads
I don't know anything about syncing different copies of Awasu, and of course I don't know how difficult it would be for Taka to add a "Don't delete Workpad items" option when syncing the Workpad items (seems like a reasonable request), but here are a few thoughts of what might be possible now, and in the near future.

Now: Channel Reports using the Metachannel template
I'm not sure about this but I think it might work...

First, for each user, set up a Channel Report that is based upon their local copy of the "shared" Workpad. This Channel Report will publish its output to a file on your LAN or an intranet site using the Metachannel.template. This will publish their Workpad's items as an Atom feed. The Channel Report can be set to automatically run whenever the underlying Workpad is updated (version 2.3.4).

Then, for each user, set up new Channels that subscribe to each of the other user's Atom feed of the "shared" Workpad. You might want to tick the "Exclude from search" check box so that "duplicate" feed items sourced from different Channels don't show up in the user's search results (provided that the user's might have some of the same "raw" Channels).
* If you're using Awasu version 2.4.1 set these Channels to automatically add the items from these Channels to the user's local copy of the "shared" Workpad.
* If you're using Awasu version 2.3.4 - 2.4. the user can see the new items in the feed and manually add them to their local copy of the "shared" Workpad using the Send to Tools.
* If you're using a version of Awasu prior to Send to Tools (2.3.4), UPGRADE!

The conceptually "shared" Workpads do not need to have the same names for each user. Also a user could have multiple Workpads/Channel Reports that get published and subsequently subscribed to by other users, and 2.4.1 allows feed items to be automatically sent to multiple Workpads, so there's a lot of versatility to work with, as long as you (the admin) can keep it all straight.

I'm basing my belief that this could work on the fact that Awasu will not send the same feed item to the same workpad (filters out duplicates, Woo Hoo!). :clap:
I can't send duplicate feed items to the same Workpad using the Send to Tools, and I can't send duplicate feed items to the same Workpad by subscribing to a Workpad/Metachannel.template-based Channel Report and using the "Add new items to Workpad" feature, so I'm fairly confident that this will work for you right now.

You might need to establish a procedure where your users manually update their "Shared-Workpad-based Channels" (and thus their "shared" Workpads) before you synchronize their copies of Awasu.

Near Future: The Awasu API

Using this API you could build an application (either an Awasu Application Plugin or an external application or intranet web page) that would allow your users to see each other's Workpads and to manually, and remotely, add items to each other's Workpads.

Also using this API you could build an application that would automatically sync the Workpads.

There's a "$/workpads/list" API which "Returns a list of Workpads and information about each one".
And a "$/workpads/addItem" API which "Adds a feed item to one or more Workpads".

If you need any help with writing an Application Plugin, post a message to this forum, or figure out my Gmail account and send me an email.

Here's a (slightly outdated) description of the new Awasu API.

Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:59 pm
Site Admin

rsr wrote:
I was just wondering if there would be some way to sync workpads in such a way that does not delete the feed items in your current workpad.

There is a framework that allows anything to be excluded from a sync but unfortunately, it only works on stuff in the CONFIG.INI and .CHANNEL files (workpad items are stored in the database).

rsr wrote:
Ideally it should work similar to the "Don't delete channels" option used when syncing the channel items.

This should be possible although I think you might get better results using the new HTTP API. I'll send you a copy of the next cut and you can have a play with it (the currently-implemented API is documented here). For example, you could set up a channel on a master copy of Awasu that used the CombineFeeds plugin to subscribe to API-based URL's on each of your worker Awasu's that returned the workpad items as a feed. The master Awasu would transfer those items into a workpad where you could edit them before generating a report from them :cool: You could do this with the current build but I'll include some stuff in the next build that offers it out of the box.

Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:47 am
Profile WWW

Hi All, sorry for the long delay in replying. Thanks for your detail suggestions kevo. All good ideas. I also received the new API but haven't had time to try out as yet :oops: Will keep you all informed about the progress once i get started.

Thanks again!

Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:34 am

There's never enough time, and don't even try to keep up with Taka, he's too fast!

There's an interesting API $/workpads/feed which is a nice alternative to the "Now: Channel Reports using the Metachannel template" option that I previously described. Using the new version of Awasu your intranet-based users will be able to subscribe to each other's Workpads as easy as subscribing to:
http://kevosPC:2604/workpad/feed?name=SharedWorkpadName.

So you won't need to create several Channel Reports just to share each user's feeds.

Sharing accross the internet will probably still need to a Channel Report/Metachannel template and FTP.

This is an important note for anybody who doesn't consider themselves a "programmer". Since these APIs can be called through simple HTTP URLs, you can use these APIs by typing in a URL in your browser, or setting up bookmarks/favorites/shortcuts.

Easy to use, easy to use, EASY TO USE!!! 8)

Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:15 am

kevo.... u r a genius! Your MetaChannel suggestion worked great!!. Tried this method since our other users are not on an intranet. The sharing of workpads are now fully automated over the internet.

Taka, had look at the new API. Still haven't implemented as i think would be more suited for an intranet environment rather than my application. But it definitely has some very useful features that i would like to use in other applications. I had some questions about using the API which i will send when i get some time.

Thanks again all!!

Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:47 am
Site Admin

Still haven't implemented as i think would be more suited for an intranet environment rather than my application.

So let us know how you'd like to see it!

rsr wrote:
I had some questions about using the API which i will send when i get some time.

If you post them here, everyone can join in the fun :-)

Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:43 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks for the accolade :oops:, but actually Taka is the one thought all of this stuff up, I just explained it.

One of the things that I think we Awasu users should do is add some Awasu Use Cases to Awasu's Wiki.
Nothing too complicated just some real-life problems and solutions.
This could be one of them: "How to synchronize Workpad items across multiple users"

By the way, I've started writing a Workpad-based Application Plugin using the new Awasu API that can look at a Workpad's items and extract keywords from the linked article's full text using the AlchemyAPI (with very little coding from me). :D
After all the keywords are extracted and displayed, you can filter the displayed Workpad items by clicking on a keyword and run a similarity metric against the Workpad items to see how similar they are based upon the extracted keywords.

I'm not sure how valuable this'll be, but it got me started working with the Awasu's Workpad API and AlchemyAPI.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]