dgnc

Postby dgnc » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:02 am

As a feature request it sort of got lost in another thread but I would like a way to have one 'page' where I can review and if necessary change the attributes of all the channels I have without having to highlight each one individually, right click, properties, review and change what I want, then update. As I use a channel more get a better feel for how often I should poll it e.g. BBC - hourly, Dilbert - Daily, a klog apart - weekly. I default to 12 hours so as to do my bit not to overwhelm the bandwidth and performance of smaller sites but about once a week or so I would just like to be able to tune the channels to reflect recent behaviour. Being able to delete or inactivate a channel for a while on this type of page would be nice as well.

squeg

Postby squeg » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:37 pm

The awasu options screens have a way to bulk change the settings for all channels, but it sounds like you want more control than that. Check out channelmaintenance.exe in the awasu program directory. It brings up a list of all your channels and allows you to select the ones you like. It will alter most any option for any combination of channels. Use the control key as you click to multi-select which channels you want to update.

I know it won't do exactly what you were asking for as it doesn't display a channels current settings, but it will allow you to set a number of setting on several channels in very little time.

dgnc

Postby dgnc » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:44 pm

I have looked at Channels Maintenance and thought about doing it that way but the main problem seems to be cognitive interrupt when using the UI especially as I have a large number (600+) channels. Might have a look at the info myself and see if I can see a way of doing it though my programming skills are a bit rusty. I am in the middle of tidying up my channels to get the number down to a more reasonable number (400ish), the update times better balanced and the channels into filter categories that better reflect how I use the product.

I also need to see if I can work out how to transfer the channel settings from one version to another when it is not a case of unzipping the next alpha/beta/live over the current install.

Go to stick in another feature request and make it a busy day.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:14 am

dgnc wrote:I have looked at Channels Maintenance and thought about doing it that way but the main problem seems to be cognitive interrupt when using the UI especially as I have a large number (600+) channels.

Yes, ChannelMaintenance is a hack to work around the problem of not being able to select and edit multiple channels at the same time (which will be coming soon).

If I need to make mass updates, I write a little Python script to hack the channel config files :-) They're just INI files and that's all ChannelMaintenance is doing. If you (or anyone else) like to do a bit of hobby programming, it would be easy to write a little VB or .NET app to do it a bit better than ChannelMaintenance.

dgnc wrote:I also need to see if I can work out how to transfer the channel settings from one version to another when it is not a case of unzipping the next alpha/beta/live over the current install.

Sync will only work between the same versions of Awasu (ignoring alphas). So you can't go from 2.0.3 to 2.0.4.alpha1 but 2.0.4.alpha1 to 2.0.4.alpha2 is OK. However, this check can be disabled - I'll post something in the testers forum.

dgnc wrote:Go to stick in another feature request and make it a busy day.

Why not? Everyone else is.

Sigh... :-( :whip:

Return to “Awasu - Feature Requests”