redcat
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:37 pm

Postby redcat » Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:13 am

I load Awasu Advanced soon after I startup my computer and it goes out and properly updates my channels. For the past few days it has stopped performing any other updates during the day. The activity logs show: "Not connected to the internet. Channel updates have been suspended." I have an always on connection (DSL). I can select any of my channels and perform an "Update Now" and it works fine. Any thoughts? I'm running XP Home. I have not noticed any major connectivity issues when using either IE or Firefox.

Also, every once in a while when first updating I get the message: "Can't load the feed items. Can't get the next row (rc=5)." I don't know if this is related to my problem of above.

I would appreciate any troubleshooting ideas. I really miss my updates. :cry:

User avatar
support
Site Admin
Posts: 3021
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Postby support » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:50 am

redcat wrote:For the past few days it has stopped performing any other updates during the day. The activity logs show: "Not connected to the internet. Channel updates have been suspended." I have an always on connection (DSL). I can select any of my channels and perform an "Update Now" and it works fine.


This message gets issued when you have "auto-detect an internet connection" turned on (in the Advanced tab of the Program Options). Your problems can be explained by one of two things:

1) There was a "bug" in 2.0.4.alpha2 where Awasu would think you were not connected if IE was in "work offline" mode. This setting is, in fact, a system-wide setting and while Awasu is actually correct in deciding that you are offline if you are in this mode, it's very confusing since it looks like you are online. We've made some additions for the next alpha2 to show warnings, etc. if this is the case.

2) Detecting whether a machine is connected to the net is a remarkably fiddly and unreliable process. It may be the case that the new algorithm is sometimes returning the wrong results. If (1) is not the cause of your problems, let us know and we'll give you a few things to try.

redcat wrote:Also, every once in a while when first updating I get the message: "Can't load the feed items. Can't get the next row (rc=5)." I don't know if this is related to my problem of above.


No, they're not related. You can try to address this by creating a DEBUG.INI file in your user's home directory that looks like this:

Code: Select all

[Debug]
DefaultSqliteBusyTimeout=...


where ... is some number. The default value is 120, increasing it should help fix the error. I would start at 150 and go up in 30's.

redcat
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:37 pm

Postby redcat » Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:32 am

Thanks for your help. Both issues seem to be resolved. The day has improved as my channel feeds are now updating properly! :D :D

User avatar
support
Site Admin
Posts: 3021
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Postby support » Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:38 am

No worries. Can I ask how you fixed the channels-not-updating problem? And what did you end up setting DefaultSqliteBusyTimeout to and what is your system spec (so we can adjust the default value)?

redcat
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:37 pm

Postby redcat » Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:36 am

(1) As to the channels not updating -- I unselected "auto-detect" in the settings. It should normally be that way. I don't remember making a recent change. Maybe I did something when I applied the 2.0.4 update. Maybe not, but then the "work offline" "bug" might have played into the problem when trying to auto detect the connection.

(2) I tried 150 for the BusyTimeout setting but I continued to receive the error message, so I increased the number to 180. I have not seen the message since. My system is: XP Home P4 2.0 Ghz 256MB on a Linksys DSL router.

User avatar
support
Site Admin
Posts: 3021
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Postby support » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:37 am

redcat wrote:(1) As to the channels not updating -- I unselected "auto-detect" in the settings. It should normally be that way. I don't remember making a recent change. Maybe I did something when I applied the 2.0.4 update.


This was turned on automatically for the alpha to make sure it got tested :-) Ain't it fun being an alpha tester :-D The beta release will preserve the existing setting, BTW.

redcat wrote:(2) I tried 150 for the BusyTimeout setting but I continued to receive the error message, so I increased the number to 180. I have not seen the message since. My system is: XP Home P4 2.0 Ghz 256MB on a Linksys DSL router.


Thanks for the info. We'll use it to tune the default setting.

redcat
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:37 pm

Postby redcat » Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:28 pm

I not usually that "cutting-edge" when it comes to installing alpha versions. But I'm comfortable loading your updates as your alpha codings have been remarkably stable. This is not a paid endorsement nor am I trying to suck-up to the programmer -- Just an observation. :D


Return to “Awasu - Bug Reports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests