jwenck

Postby jwenck » Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:26 pm

A suggestion for Pro or Advanced would be to have prefetching implemented. Newsmonster does it. Well, Newsmonster is said to also be be a crawler because it seems to save the stuff. I really mean prefetch - even on broadband "page-turning" is often slow: the most obvious bottleneck that even fast machines do not deliver us from.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:06 pm

jwenck wrote:A suggestion for Pro or Advanced would be to have prefetching implemented. Newsmonster does it.

And did you see the stir that caused?! :-)

http://www.benhammersley.com/archives/004118.html
http://diveintomark.org/archives/2003/0 ... ators.html

I am very sensitive to putting excessive load on other people's servers by impolite bandwidth usage. The whole point of RSS is that it is a <b>lightweight</b> (i.e. XML) description of the site's content. I don't read anywhere near all of the content that is delivered to me as RSS items and to blindly download all this content simply so that I can browse slightly faster is a bit rude and un-necessary.

I can understand why people want this feature but it is unlikely to be implemented in Awasu. RSS is going to start becoming <b>very</b> popular soon and bandwidth/politeness issues like this are going to come up more frequently.

If you <b>really</b> want to prefetch the content, you can still do it using the channel report and a third-party crawler. This was intended for non-wireless PDA's - prefetch the content for unread items, compress it and transfer it to the PDA for reading later - but you could do a similar thing to pull the content down onto your local drive.

jwenck

Postby jwenck » Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:42 pm

I guess you are right.

Odd thing is that opting for a faster broadband version (here in Germany you can choose from 128k, 256k, 384k, 512k, 768k, 1.4m for your DSL line) does not have much effect on browsing. ftp is accelerated linearly, but browsing just is not. I do not think I am particularly demanding - I just remember that my pre-GUI Usenet newsreader on a 1994-type computer was actually displaying text faster...

Well, I guess any progress is accompanied by expanding the proverbial room for improvement...

jwenck

Postby jwenck » Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:47 pm

Just saw how there were 680+ views of this entry.
Actually, my IE was going bonkers and kept opening new windows until I shut the machine down.
Such is the state of software engineering in Redmond...

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:38 pm

jwenck wrote:Odd thing is that opting for a faster broadband version (here in Germany you can choose from 128k, 256k, 384k, 512k, 768k, 1.4m for your DSL line) does not have much effect on browsing. ftp is accelerated linearly, but browsing just is not.

I think it's the same here in Australia. There are other factors at play other than raw line speed when it comes to browsing, I think.

jwenck wrote:I do not think I am particularly demanding - I just remember that my pre-GUI Usenet newsreader on a 1994-type computer was actually displaying text faster...

So was booting up, word processing, compiling... I can always have a look at embedding Lynx instead of IE :lol:

jwenck wrote:Just saw how there were 680+ views of this entry.
Actually, my IE was going bonkers and kept opening new windows until I shut the machine down.
Such is the state of software engineering in Redmond...

I noticed that as well. And I was all excited because I thought lots of people were interested in the paid versions! :roll:

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:02 pm

Perhaps I shouldn't have been quite so categorical when I said that prefetching wasn't going to be implemented in Awasu :oops:

One thing that I've really wanted to have Awasu do almost from the very beginning is to watch how you use the program and adapt its behaviour to suit.

For example, some people like to access their favorite channels from the system tray menu. This can get quite big so I'd like Awasu to learn which channels you use the most and put them lower down in the menu so you don't have to move the mouse as far.

So, if Awasu notices that you tend to read everything in a given channel, it'd be cool if it prefetched that content for you. You probably wouldn't be able to configure this (since people could just turn it on for every channel) but browsing would be really fast where you needed it the most. You might not even know why but your user experience would be significantly improved.

Of course, there's so much dynamic content around these days (especially for news which is the bulk of RSS currently) but it'd be worth a try. I'm a big fan of making software adapt to how you want to use it. Computers should be making our lives easier, not more difficult. If you're a user, at least :roll:

filo

Postby filo » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:20 pm

i dont want to overload people's feeds.

Where i would use something like this, is for news/it outfits to download and be available offline (commute etc). For instance, CNET, eWeek, Yahoo news, SmartMoney to read their latest n artices.

Return to “Awasu - Feature Requests”