View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

Post 2.4.2 Install - loses pane positions
Since installing 2.4.2, Awasu will not "remember" pane sizes, defaulting on each restart to an item pane about 10mm wide.

Once set, (dragged) it persists for the duration of the session, but reverts on restart

Auto-hide/Ctrl-F7 etc. all work correctly.

Where should I look ? :unsure:

Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:30 am
Site Admin

Post Re: 2.4.2 Install - loses pane positions
This is a bit of an odd one. I've had a play with this and everything works fine for me (doesn't it always :roll:?).

Check your channel window settings - in the Program Options dialog, go to the Display tab and click on <i>Channel windows</i>. In particular, you want to check what <i>Max. item pane size</i> is set to.

Do you exit Awasu while it's minimized? This can sometimes cause odd behaviour, although typically not what you're seeing.

Does it affect every channel? Try opening the channel's Properties dialog, clicking on OK and then exiting. The item pane sizing is stored in the channel's <tt>.CHANNEL</tt> file and doing this forces the file to be saved to disk.

And if you don't mind fiddling around a bit with your Awasu installation, it's possible to rollback from 2.4.2 to 2.4.1 (not that this is usually <i>not</i> the case!) so you might want to try that and see if it really is being caused by something that changed in 2.4.2. Grab the <tt>awasu.exe</tt> from the 2.4.1 and copy it into your Awasu installation directory. You can call it <tt>awasu-241.exe</tt> if you like, to make it easy to alternate between running the different versions. However, you will have to update your <tt>CONFIG.INI file</tt> - open it up in Notepad and change the <tt>Version=...</tt> line as appropriate.

Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:32 am
Profile WWW

robP you might try making a copy of your .CHANNEL files into a different directly while Awasu is not running and then 1) run Awasu, 2) adjust the size of the Item Pane for one or more Channels (remember which Channels you tweaked), 3) update at least one Channel if an auto-update does not occur, 4) compare the backed-up .CHANNEL files against your current files using a program like WinMerge.

Since you made sure an update occurred you should see some changed lines in the CHANNEL files. Regarding the size of the Item Pane I'm not sure which .CHANNEL file setting is relevant, but I'm guessing that it is the "ChannelItemViewHeight=".

This might help to see if the any updates are being made to your .CHANNEL files.

Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:11 pm

Thanks for responses

I tried .CHANNEL files for differences. Although time and update data changed, the pane positions were not remembered. It did affect all channels

I then tried 2.4.1- pane (pain?) problem remained.

reverted to 2.4.2 but with an old 2.4.1 config.ini file which I had, modified to "version=2.4.2" .

It now all works correctly .

Please don't ask why - :?

Would you like 2 .INI files to see if you can deduce anything.?

Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:17 pm
Site Admin

robP wrote:
Would you like 2 .INI files to see if you can deduce anything.?

Yep, email them in. This implies that it's an Awasu setting that's causing it to happen.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:47 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Thanks for sending in your config files.

As I mused it above, it was the <i>Max. item pane size</i> setting - in one config file you had it set to 1/3 and in the other it was set to 1/2. In the former case, Awasu will never let it take more than 1/3 the available space <i>when the channel is opened</i> i.e. you can manually resize the item pane as you like, but if you close the channel and re-open it (even in the same session), it will shrink in size to meet the configured restriction.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:18 am
Profile WWW

1/2 my screen in awasu window= say about 150mm
1/3 my screen = say about 100mm

As I said in first post, size after 2.4.2 upgrade was only about 10mm so it was defaulting to much less than 1/3 regardless of the size it was adjusted to when switching channel.
Is there any other setting which could affect this ? (just in case it bites me again)

Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:02 pm
Site Admin

robP wrote:
Is there any other setting which could affect this ? (just in case it bites me again)

Not really, and nothing else stood out in your config files.

Did changing that setting make a difference? How about setting it to <i>Unlimited</i>?

Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:11 pm
Profile WWW

Would a good old AVI video from robP help to demonstrate the steps he takes and the results he receives? This free, open-source software will record audio and video: CamStudio - Desktop Screen Recorder

<shamelessPlug>
I've been considering recording a screen capture video demo of some of the Application Plugins I've been working on.
</shamelessPlug>

:afro:

Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]