View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Post It's late and maybe I'm missing something about searches ...
I like the ability to search if I remember reading something last week but don't remember which feed. I also have another problem and can't figure out how to make it work.

I have a few feeds that have large numbers of items every day but will only display the last 10 no matter how I try to reconfigure the channel. How can I structure a search to just show all the items in the archive from one channel?

If this is obvious and i'm just missing it, I apologize in advance.

Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:25 am
Site Admin

Post Re: It's late and maybe I'm missing something about searches
JoeC wrote:
How can I structure a search to just show all the items in the archive from one channel?

The easiest way to do this would probably be to include the site's domain name as part of the search query. Presumably, all the feed item URL's will contain it.

We'll be beefing up the search engine soon to allow for more sophisticated queries like this.

Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:48 am
Profile WWW
support wrote:
JoeC wrote:
How can I structure a search to just show all the items in the archive from one channel?

The easiest way to do this would probably be to include the site's domain name as part of the search query. Presumably, all the feed item URL's will contain it.

We'll be beefing up the search engine soon to allow for more sophisticated queries like this.

I did try that but unfortunately it only picks up the items where the info is in the text of the item not the URL. And it including the URL in the search doesn't help - It would be cool if a filter could be set on searches to one or several channels.

I tried with both second level domain name only and FQDN of the hosting server and neither work. It seems wildcards don't work the same with URL's.

Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:14 pm
Site Admin

OK, so the search engine is being a bit prissy when it comes to syntax (especially wrt to reserved characters).

To search for "rss" and return items that come from the awasu.com domain, I can enter this:

Code:
rss AND url:http*awasu.com*

Make sure that "Enable advanced syntax" is checked

Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:25 am
Profile WWW
support wrote:
OK, so the search engine is being a bit prissy when it comes to syntax (especially wrt to reserved characters).

To search for "rss" and return items that come from the awasu.com domain, I can enter this:

Code:
rss AND url:http*awasu.com*

Make sure that "Enable advanced syntax" is checked

That didn't do it either but I found that if I want to look at only one channel at a time I can increase the number of items displayed in the channel properties to a high enough number like 70 to display all the unread items for that channel.

Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]