oliver.g

Postby oliver.g » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:39 am

I wonder if Awasu can help me with my workflow requirements.

I need to check 4,000+ RSS feeds (once daily, and 1,000+ feeds multiple times a day) and I need to extract all stories into a single XML file for further data handling. We are talking 10,000+ stories a day.

Is Awasu able to help with that? Do I require a plug-in that may help?

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:44 am

oliver.g wrote:I need to check 4,000+ RSS feeds (once daily, and 1,000+ feeds multiple times a day)

We know of at least several sites that are running significantly more channels than this, so you won't have a problem there.

oliver.g wrote:and I need to extract all stories into a single XML file for further data handling. We are talking 10,000+ stories a day.

Awasu's reports may be what you want here. These let you extract stories from your Awasu and export them to a file and since it's template-driven, the output file can be in any format you want.

However, XML might start to get a bit unwieldy with that much stuff in a single file so you might also want to take a look at the MySQL channel hook that stores incoming content in a MySQL database where you can do further processing on it there. Or, of course, you could write your own custom hook to handle the content in any way you choose.

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:00 pm

While what you're asking for is certainly possible with Awasu; Awasu offers other features that might enhance your workflow.

Awasu's Search Channels can help to pre-filter the raw incoming feed content. When used in conjunction with Channel Reports Awasu can create "virtual feeds", that are prescreened and more focused than the raw content alone. Used in conjunctions with multiple instances of the MySQL Channel Hook you could send differing Search Channel output to different tables or even different databases.

Awasu also features Workpads where you can store feed items internally for further review or re-publishing.

Awasu's XSLT processing even allows you to intercept and alter the incoming feed content; you could add a <category> element with a unique value to a raw feed's items or to Search Channels matched items which could act as a "flag" for your post-Awasu processing.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find a product that offers the functionality of Awasu at any price.

Note: I'm not an Awasu employee, just a satified user.

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”