rasqual

Postby rasqual » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:01 pm

Still figuring out how the program works, but I have a suggestion. I notice that the "categories" only apply to channels. Unfortunately, many blogs and other feeds are diverse enough that this is not always going to be a good approach to the problem of organizing feeds. A channel might come under several categories, but while viewing that channel, many items not fitting that one category might appear.

How about allowing for categorizing individual items in channels?

This would allow something else that I'd really like to see -- virtual channels. For example, If I tag individual items from several channels with some category, it'd be nice to have a "Category view" in My Channels, that would consolidate items from all the feeds under categories, rather than genuine feeds. Items might appear in several categories, of course.

Another idea: keyword assignments to individual items in a feed, with search results sorted by score appropriately.

Needless to say, a lot of this relies on retention. As a usenet veteran, I've kept everything I've been involved in. Doing the same with blogs and other sources of information creates an autobiographical record of my interests -- something perhaps of use to my children after I'm gone in the case they have a morbid intereste in parsing ancient news and analysis of by-then-moot history. ;-)

With the latter point in mind, I'd like to see richer report options, with one option being to cache content locally in a way that'd be simple to present on a CD, for example.

Great looking product. Keep up the good work.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:07 am

rasqual wrote:I notice that the "categories" only apply to channels. Unfortunately, many blogs and other feeds are diverse enough that this is not always going to be a good approach to the problem of organizing feeds. A channel might come under several categories, but while viewing that channel, many items not fitting that one category might appear.

How about allowing for categorizing individual items in channels?

Blogging and RSS readers are pretty much about really current content. Anything older than a week is long forgotten :-)

However, we have features planned for next year that will make you very happy. I can't talk too much about them now but they have already been designed and built into the architecture.

rasqual wrote:This would allow something else that I'd really like to see -- virtual channels. For example, If I tag individual items from several channels with some category, it'd be nice to have a "Category view" in My Channels, that would consolidate items from all the feeds under categories, rather than genuine feeds. Items might appear in several categories, of course.

You can do this already. Check out the doco on meta-channels at the bottom of this page. It's a little complex to set up but easy to understand once you get it.

rasqual wrote:Another idea: keyword assignments to individual items in a feed, with search results sorted by score appropriately.

Coming soon to an Awasu near you.

rasqual wrote:With the latter point in mind, I'd like to see richer report options, with one option being to cache content locally in a way that'd be simple to present on a CD, for example.

I'm not quite sure what you're looking for here but I suspect that channel reports will do what you want. You can create your own templates and so output content in any format you want. The basic principles are the same as above: choose which channels you want to include, choose a template to control the output format, run.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

rlmrdl

Postby rlmrdl » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:39 am

I don't think I've missed it, but what I would like is a category management tool, a bit like the organise Channel Filters dialogue, that lets me create new categories without having to do it via the Create New dialogue.

It would also let me open a category and then call up the list of all the feeds and click checkboxes beside each one, with perhaps an add/remove option, rather have to open each channel and assign it individually.

Perhaps also, in the create new dialogue, the option to create a new category on the fly to match a new feed.

You know, nothing difficult or anything :D

Cheers

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:38 am

rlmrdl wrote:what I would like is a category management tool

Ah, Earl, you know that your every wish is but my command. Check this out.<blockquote><i>But now, you can create categories in a hierarchy e.g. <i>News/International/Europe</i> is a single category but is also a sub-category of the <i>News/International</i> category. Tagging is an increasingly popular way of managing meta-data and in knowledge management parlance, the hierarchy of categories that you create via the folder tree is a taxonomy of tags that Awasu can use when filtering channels. We will also be adding features to soon to use this taxonomy in the search engine as well.</i></blockquote>
rlmrdl wrote:You know, nothing difficult or anything

No comment on this one. I'll be bitching some more about Windows in the blog over the coming weeks, I'm sure... :roll:

squeg

Postby squeg » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:31 am

Hey Taka, I REALLY hate to do this to you, as I know you work so hard on this stuff. (And before I move forward, let me say the folders look great!)

Have you seen the tagging interface introduced in adobe photoshop elements 3? It's similar to the one that was in their v.2 picture management software, only a fair bit more versatile.

In short you stick the tags in a tree but leave the items (in their case photos, in your case feeds) in one big blob organized by date (you'd use alpha sort, of course). You can then visually navigate the tags, so you don't have to remember (or run out of) keyboard combinations. Any number of tags can be assigned to any item and you can then view all, or any combination of tags. You can of course also set up exclusions so that items with certain tags will not be displayed even if they have other tags that fall within your search.

The interface is not quite as quick to use as i'd like, but it is easy. Basically, it's the filter system you already had, with a visual element. I'm not suggesting you run out and copy them or anything, but I thought you might like to explore alternate interfaces. Of course I'm also not saying that i don't think it would be great if you could somehow innovate on their great idea. :P

Certainly systems like this one and your existing category system make it easier to do what I think the original post was about: add multiple categorizations to a single feed.

If you can't find a demo copy of PSE 3 anywhere, drop me a note and i'll email you some screenshots (assuming you'd like to see what they've done).

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:47 am

squeg wrote:In short you stick the tags in a tree but leave the items (in their case photos, in your case feeds) in one big blob organized by date (you'd use alpha sort, of course).

But if I add the option to hide all folders, then this sounds like the same thing.

squeg wrote:You can then visually navigate the tags, so you don't have to remember (or run out of) keyboard combinations.

I think embedding a droplist with all the available channel filters will go a long way to working around this problem.

squeg wrote:Any number of tags can be assigned to any item and you can then view all, or any combination of tags. You can of course also set up exclusions so that items with certain tags will not be displayed even if they have other tags that fall within your search.

I was thinking about extending filters to allow you to define categories to exclude but it was hard to see if it was actually going to be useful.

squeg wrote:If you can't find a demo copy of PSE 3 anywhere, drop me a note and i'll email you some screenshots (assuming you'd like to see what they've done).

Send 'em in!

Thanks

squeg

Postby squeg » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:30 pm

support wrote:
squeg wrote:In short you stick the tags in a tree but leave the items (in their case photos, in your case feeds) in one big blob organized by date (you'd use alpha sort, of course).

But if I add the option to hide all folders, then this sounds like the same thing.

Almost the same thing. One of the key factors is that the categories themselves are in a tree. Categories are very easy to organize in tree format by their nature. And what you get out of it is the ability to generate multiple filters at one time. To illustrate, in PSE 3 I have a category called family. Under that i have subcategories for immediate family members and any extended family members that happen to make it into a lot of photos. So now i can easily filter on any combination of relatives or all at once.

You can do the same in Awasu, but every time you add what you'd consider a subcategory, you have a to go back and add it to the "all at once" filter, because there's no other way to define the relationships.

Again, the visual interface helps make this easy to use. Anything that adds the ability to view all your categories to awasu instead of the currently truncated list will definitely help.

support wrote:
squeg wrote:If you can't find a demo copy of PSE 3 anywhere, drop me a note and i'll email you some screenshots (assuming you'd like to see what they've done).

Send 'em in!

Thanks

I'll try and get some screenshots put together on the early side of this week. Again, I'm not really trying to "direct" the development so much as show you an interface that I find really handy. So I won't holler or anything thing, if you decide all this is nonsense. :)

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:39 am

squeg wrote:but every time you add what you'd consider a subcategory, you have a to go back and add it to the "all at once" filter, because there's no other way to define the relationships.

:?: If a filter doesn't specify any categories (now called "folders"), then no filtering on folders will be done. The default filter "All" actually specifies no filtering criteria whatsoever, resulting in all channels being shown.

squeg wrote:instead of the currently truncated list

Um, what truncated list? You mean because channels have scrolled off them bottom?

squeg wrote:Again, I'm not really trying to "direct" the development so much as show you an interface that I find really handy. So I won't holler or anything thing, if you decide all this is nonsense. :)

No, no this is all great stuff! Please keep the suggestions coming in!

squeg

Postby squeg » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:30 am

Um, what truncated list? You mean because channels have scrolled off them bottom?

What i mean by that, is that the category lists when creating a new channel or when right-clicking a feed both display a maximum number of categories that is smaller than my total number of categories. Now for clarification, i haven't had time to pull down and set up the beta yet. I'm using the latest stable release of 2.1. So if you've added something nifty to handle this, i haven't seen it yet.

(adds yet another thing to his "to do" list. :) )

Jeff

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:35 pm

squeg wrote:Now for clarification, i haven't had time to pull down and set up the beta yet.

Ah. Well. Then.

Check out the release notes for 2.1.1.alpha1. I'll think you'll be well pleased :-)

squeg wrote:(adds yet another thing to his "to do" list. :) )

Meh. You should see mine... :roll:

rlmrdl

Postby rlmrdl » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:58 pm

The thing works really well for new channels, but there doesn't seem to be a way to take an existing feeds and assign them to additional channels. At the moment, once I have assigned a channel to a folder, that's it.

There needs to be an option on the right click to manage the folders to which it is assigned, as there was in the old categories flyout.

It would also be cool to have a tool, a cool tool perhaps (OK, I'll stop that and take the meds) that lets me create a new folder then call up a list of all the feeds and assign them to that folder as needed.

Probably as well, a right click option on the folder itself to manage the feeds assigned to it, either add new ones or remove them from the folder, without removing them from awasu altogether, unless, of course, the feed was assigned only to that folder; then a warning about deleting it entirely

So, you know, not much then.

BTW, I really like the fact that when I hit Alt, the little box around the target changes to Awasu orange. it makes it much easier to see that you have left the Alt engaged and not to forget to release it before using other keyboard shortcuts.

Its the little thing, as the Bishop said to the actress.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:24 am

rlmrdl wrote:but there doesn't seem to be a way to take an existing feeds and assign them to additional channels.

I take it you mean "additional folders". Drag and drop to move channels, hold down the Control key to assign a channel to additional folders. Drag a channel out of My Channels to remove it from a folder.

File|Delete has been upgraded and is smart about letting you remove a channel from foldes or actually deleting the channel.

I suspect the most of the suggestions you made are now moot... :-)

rlmrdl

Postby rlmrdl » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:35 am

Except that it forces me on the new laptop to use the pad/button/Ctrl key all at once. But I can't grizzle, it works.

RTFM
:?

Cheers

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:11 am

rlmrdl wrote:Except that it forces me on the new laptop to use the pad/button/Ctrl key all at once.

Yeah, that's always going to be a problem. I got one of those tiny meeces with a retractable cord.

I'm working on upgrading the UI to handle ordering of folders and exactly this kind of thing was a major influence on the final design.

Return to “Awasu - Feature Requests”