pinemeadows

Postby pinemeadows » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:45 pm

This software appears to be very complex - and I think I may have bit off more than I can chew. I'm just your ordinary kind of user - definitely not a power user - and I can't quite figure out how to use the workpads the way I thought I could. Right now, all I can get it to do is save a link. I would like to save text or a selection to the workpad - sometimes with images....how do I do that?

There are some icons in the upper third of the screen - I have not been able to find documentation of what they do - particularly those on the right.

All help is appreciated! :?

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:31 pm

pinemeadows wrote:I can't quite figure out how to use the workpads the way I thought I could. Right now, all I can get it to do is save a link. I would like to save text or a selection to the workpad - sometimes with images....how do I do that?

What are you looking to do with workpads? If it's as a general kind of notepad, it wasn't really designed to do that. The intent is for it to be a holding place for items you receive in your feeds, allowing you to annotate them, then combine them into a report or do other stuff with them. Item content is also included when you add an item to a workpad, which you can then edit.

However, I've been thinking about adding some new features to workpads so if you let us know what it is you're trying to do, I can try cover it.

pinemeadows wrote:There are some icons in the upper third of the screen - I have not been able to find documentation of what they do - particularly those on the right.

If you hover the mouse over each button, a tooltip should appear. There will also be a more descriptive message shown in the status bar at the bottom of Awasu's main window.

pinemeadows

Postby pinemeadows » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:45 pm

If I'm reading a blog post about a technique, I would like to save perhaps 2 or 3 paragraphs of text interspersed with images. So far, when I try to get it into the workpad, all I get is the link. That link won't do me much good if the blogger takes that post down next week, thus I'd like the ACTUAL wording and pics saved.

Did that make sense? What new features are you thinking of adding - can you say?

I have hovered and hovered, and the icons on the left do have tooltips - but not so on the right.

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:10 am

pinemeadows wrote:This software appears to be very complex - and I think I may have bit off more than I can chew.

Awasu has a lot of configuration options which may seem overwhelming at first, but luckily you don't have to learn all of them to get useful results. ::-):
After you use Awasu for awhile you may find that some of those configuration options may make sense for some or maybe even all of your feeds; and with Awasu many configuration options can be set globally for all Channels, or on a Channel-by-Channel basis.

If you'd like to know some personal example of these settings that make sense for some feeds, but not for others, just ask me and I'll tell you about them; but I won't bore you with them now.

I think the mere fact that you're interested in Workpads and saving text and images means that you are probably a bit more than an "...ordinary kind of user..."; I think you'll find that Awasu will be a great tool for helping your find, track and process information.

Also you'll find that you'll get great support here at the Awasu forums, just ask... you'll see. :wink:

Icons without tooltips
I think the icons without tooltips are the ones in the Browser Pane. Some of these icons are duplicated on the main toolbar so you can hover over the corresponding icon and see its description, but it would be nice if the Browser Pane toolbar icons had tooltips too, especially for new users.

Workpads
When you view items on a Workpad you'll only see the URL, but you have access the full referenced web page with it's images when you publish your Workpad items to a Channel Report.

If you need to capture text and images, you should be able to use the standard copy-and-paste features to copy text and images to the Windows Clipboard and then paste them into a Word processor as needed.

Plus, Awasu does have a Clipboard (text) Send to Tool that will send the whole article's text and images to the Windows Clipboard

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:58 am

pinemeadows wrote:So far, when I try to get it into the workpad, all I get is the link.

This will happen if you drag a link from the embedded browser into a workpad, since Awasu doesn't know the drag is coming from a feed item, all it's given is the URL. But if you right-click on an item in the item pane (the list of items in the top part of the window) and choose Send to|Workpad, Awasu will store the item content in the workpad as well.

pinemeadows wrote:That link won't do me much good if the blogger takes that post down next week, thus I'd like the ACTUAL wording and pics saved.

For this, you're better off using Awasu's archiving functionality. Channels can be configured to keep content for a certain amount of time before purging it, so even if the blogger removes their post, it will remain in your Awasu archive. The archive time can either be set globally (Program Options, Archive page, Keep content for), or per-channel (Channel Properties, Advanced page, Keep content for).

Awasu can also be configured to download the linked-to content, which is not always the same as the content in the feed, and keep that for a specified amount of time as well.

pinemeadows wrote:What new features are you thinking of adding - can you say?

Mostly better editing features. Workpads are a heavily-used feature that are used by people to aggregate selected content, annotate and then distribute it e.g. a weekly newletter, automated daily reports of interesting content found, etc., so any new features would be aimed at improving this process. But new features are very much driven by user requests, so if there's something you think would be useful, let us know.

pinemeadows wrote:I have hovered and hovered, and the icons on the left do have tooltips - but not so on the right.

Ah, I see what you mean. IIRC, I went nuts trying to get tooltips to appear on those buttons but the GUI toolkit Awasu uses just wouldn't do it and I eventually gave up :-( The icons are the same as those in the main toolbars and the Edit main menu so you can find out what they do there. Or just click on them and see what happens, none of them do anything destructive :-)

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”