pinemeadows

Postby pinemeadows » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:47 pm

Figuring that the only way to learn this is to just get in there and play around, I have now lost some things I really need! The only 3 words across the top of the screen are Edit, View, and Favorites. Pretty sure there was a File, Help, and a Tools option there before, but they are gone. I'd like to have them back.

Also, now I have my Control Center with the list of channels on top of the other panes. Yes, of course I can move it, but then it's still on top of the panes underneath....something else I did and don't remember doing! :shock:

As for the workpads, I would much prefer just being able to cut and paste parts of blogs or websites. I want to see at a glance what's there - and since the capability to create new workpads is already in place, that would be a real bonus....at least for me.

One other thing I've noticed - in Properties, I set the feeds for every 30 minutes, but when I check on them individually, they still say once a day. What's up with that?

So far, so good - other than issues I've created myself!

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:30 pm

First off, I'll introduce myself. I don't work for Awasu; I'm an Awasu user, like you. I'm pretty knowledgeable but I'm not the official voice of Awasu. :drevil:

pinemeadows wrote:The only 3 words across the top of the screen are Edit, View, and Favorites. Pretty sure there was a File, Help, and a Tools option there before, but they are gone. I'd like to have them back.

Sounds like the menu bar needs to be reset. If the "Tools" menu was visible I'd instruct you to click it but it's not so look for a toolbar button that looks like a blue computer monitor with a gear in front of it. When you hover your mouse over it, you should see a tooltip that says "Customize".

To reset the menu bar:
  • Click the "Customize" toolbar button
  • Click the "Menu" tab at the top of the "Customize" dialog box
  • Click the "Reset" button
  • Click the "Yes" button in the confirmation dialog box
  • Click the "Close" button

pinemeadows wrote:Also, now I have my Control Center with the list of channels on top of the other panes. Yes, of course I can move it, but then it's still on top of the panes underneath....something else I did and don't remember doing!

If you click and drag the Control Center by it's title bar... as you're dragging you should see some little boxes with arrowheads on them (top, bottom, left, right). Drop the Control Center on one of the boxes and the Control Center will be "pinned" to that perimeter of the screen. Many of the other "Panes" in Awasu can be pinned too! ::-):

In my two years of using Awasu on a daily basis, it's been pretty rare that Awasu's user interface has gotten as messed up as you described; it might have happened once, I can't remember.

pinemeadows wrote:...I would much prefer just being able to cut and paste parts of blogs or websites.

This is "outside" of Awasu but one free tool that I've been using is TiddlyWiki. It's a "personal wiki", implemented as a single HTML page that saves on top of itself. It allows you to add tags to entries (a.k.a. Tiddlers), contains search capabilities and will even output an RSS feed of your Tiddlers so that others can subscribe to your work.

Awasu/TiddlyWiki integration
I've created an Awasu User tool that can search an existing TiddlyWiki for whatever text you have selected in Awasu:

Code: Select all

mshta "path_to_your_TiddlyWiki_file#search:{%SELTEXT%}"

And in theory, one should be able to create an Awasu Send to Tool that will create a new Tiddler with the title of the current feed item; but for some reason if the title contains multiple words TiddlyWiki creates multiple Tiddlers, each with a single, different word from the feed item title. This is not an Awasu problem; it's a TiddlyWiki problem, or feature. :roll:

pinemeadows wrote:One other thing I've noticed - in Properties...

I'm not sure but I think when you change the Global setting it will affect any new Channels that you create but it won't update your exiting Channels. For your existing Channels you may have to edit each one individually or maybe you can use the Awasu Channel Maintenance utility to mass update some selected or all existing Channels. I'll defer this question to the CAO (Chief Awasu Officer).

pinemeadows

Postby pinemeadows » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:52 pm

Thank you! Yeah, it didn't take me long to mess things up. The CAO had told me in another post that I probably couldn't do much damage, but he has never met me. I'm self-taught at everything - that's one of the hazards.

JK

I appreciate the help. Guess I'll have to change the update times then individually for all 646 feeds. Ah....I think we're taking a road trip soon....guess I'll have something to do in the car. :wink:

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:04 am

pinemeadows wrote:Guess I'll have to change the update times then individually for all 646 feeds.

You don't need to do this. Run ChannelMaintenance.exe in the Awasu installation directory and look for AutoUpdateInterval.

I have to race out for the day now but I'll write up a proper reply when I get back...

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:45 am

I think the processs goes something like this:
  • Close Awasu
  • Go to the directory where you installed Awasu, typically: C:\Program Files\Awasu\
  • Run ChannelMaintenance.exe
  • In the "Setting" drop down choose "Auto Update Interval"
  • Enter the number of seconds between updates in the "Value" text box: for 30 minutes enter 1800
  • Click the "Set" button
  • Click the "Exit" button

The CAO will let us know if this is right or wrong.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:40 am

kevotheclone wrote:The CAO will let us know if this is right or wrong.

Yep, this is right.

BTW, if you wanted to call me something bovine, you coulda come up with a more subtle nickname :roll:

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:43 am

pinemeadows wrote:Also, now I have my Control Center with the list of channels on top of the other panes. Yes, of course I can move it, but then it's still on top of the panes underneath

Everything kevotheclone said is correct but you can also reset your UI settings by running admin.exe (found in the Awasu installation directory), going to the Users page and clicking on Reset.

More info about how Awasu's windows can be managed is here.

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:33 am

Not that anybody really cares... but I just figured out how to create a new TiddlyWiki Tiddler (like a wiki page in a more traditional wiki) using an Awasu Send to Tool.
Note: These are based upon using a HTML Application (HTA file extension) for your instance of TiddlyWiki.

Using the short 8.3 character-style path:

mshta.exe short_8.3_style_path_to_your_TiddlyWiki_file.HTA#newTiddler:"{%title%}"

Or using the longer-style path and percent encoding the quotation marks around the {%title%} parameter:

mshta.exe "long_style_path_to_your_TiddlyWiki_file.HTA#newTiddler:%22{%title%}%22"

These Send to Tools only create new Tiddlers with the title of the current feed item, because that's all the newTiddler startup method provides; but TidlyWiki, like Awasu, features a plugin architecture; so in theory you should be able to create a new startup method that would accept the feed title, description, and any feed categories which would be become the new Tiddler's Tags.

My work is never done. :whistle:

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:51 am

kevotheclone wrote:My work is never done.

Ahem, indeed it's not... :whistle: :wink:

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:56 am

Just a quick update that thanks to the $/openURL Awasu API I'm making progress in getting TiddlyWiki to run within a tab in Awasu.

The only problems that I probably won't be able to resolve are the security warnings when you first start TiddlyWiki and another security warning the first time you try to save your TiddlyWiki file. The startup warning can be resolved if you uncheck "Enable enhanced IE Security", but it's really not to big of an annoyance anyway.

There's also a way to run TiddlyWiki "outside" of Awasu; e.g. in a separate window. This eliminates all of the security warnings and can be launched from within Awasu using a User Tool or an Application Plugin.

TiddlyWiki might work for pinemeadows desire for a way to capture feed text, although it doesn't actually capture images... :(

TiddlyWiki is a pretty cool personal Wiki that, like Awasu, is extendable using a plugin architecture. :coolthumb:

:afro: 40 years... RIP Jimi, RIP :afro:

nuesha

Postby nuesha » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:52 pm

kevotheclone wrote:First off, I'll introduce myself. I don't work for Awasu; I'm an Awasu user, like you. I'm pretty knowledgeable but I'm not the official voice of Awasu. :drevil:

pinemeadows wrote:The only 3 words across the top of the screen are Edit, View, and Favorites. Pretty sure there was a File, Help, and a Tools option there before, but they are gone. I'd like to have them back.

Sounds like the menu bar needs to be reset. If the "Tools" menu was visible I'd instruct you to click it but it's not so look for a toolbar button that looks like a blue computer monitor with a gear in front of it. When you hover your mouse over it, you should see a tooltip that says "Customize".

To reset the menu bar:
  • Click the "Customize" toolbar button
  • Click the "Menu" tab at the top of the "Customize" dialog box
  • Click the "Reset" button
  • Click the "Yes" button in the confirmation dialog box
  • Click the "Close" button

pinemeadows wrote:Also, now I have my Control Center with the list of channels on top of the other panes. Yes, of course I can move it, but then it's still on top of the panes underneath....something else I did and don't remember doing!

If you click and drag the Control Center by it's title bar... as you're dragging you should see some little boxes with arrowheads on them (top, bottom, left, right). Drop the Control Center on one of the boxes and the Control Center will be "pinned" to that perimeter of the screen. Many of the other "Panes" in Awasu can be pinned too! ::-):

In my two years of using Awasu on a daily basis, it's been pretty rare that Awasu's user interface has gotten as messed up as you described; it might have happened once, I can't remember.

pinemeadows wrote:...I would much prefer just being able to cut and paste parts of blogs or websites.

This is "outside" of Awasu but one free tool that I've been using is TiddlyWiki. It's a "personal wiki", implemented as a single HTML page that saves on top of itself. It allows you to add tags to entries (a.k.a. Tiddlers), contains search capabilities and will even output an RSS feed of your Tiddlers so that others can subscribe to your work.

Awasu/TiddlyWiki integration
I've created an Awasu User tool that can search an existing TiddlyWiki for whatever text you have selected in Awasu:

mshta "path_to_your_TiddlyWiki_file#search:{%SELTEXT%}"

And in theory, one should be able to create an Awasu Send to Tool that will create a new Tiddler with the title of the current feed item; but for some reason if the title contains multiple words TiddlyWiki creates multiple Tiddlers, each with a single, different word from the feed item title. This is not an Awasu problem; it's a TiddlyWiki problem, or feature. :roll:

pinemeadows wrote:One other thing I've noticed - in Properties...

I'm not sure but I think when you change the Global setting it will affect any new Channels that you create but it won't update your exiting Channels. For your existing Channels you may have to edit each one individually or maybe you can use the Awasu Channel Maintenance utility to mass update some selected or all existing Channels. I'll defer this question to the CAO (Chief Awasu Officer).

thank you (kevotheclone

Booboo

Postby Booboo » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:23 am

Kev. I am interested to explore the SEND TO Tidlywinks feature. This could be useful to maintain items outside of Awasu. May I ask the steps to 'set up' the send-to function. Or is documented somewhere?
Booboo

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:07 am

Booboo wrote:Or is documented somewhere?

It's on the wiki.

Booboo

Postby Booboo » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:46 am

either I am looking at the wrong part of the Wiki or it assumes a certain amount of pre-existing knowledge and understanding.
Booboo

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:17 am

The wiki is here.

There's a search box in the navbar on the left, "TiddlyWiki" is the first, and only, result :-)

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”